pctv 292e dvb-c problem (1 Viewer)

micko

Portal Pro
May 27, 2006
Home Country
Finland Finland
Hi,
pctv 292e tuner is working fine with mp when using terrestial side of this triple tuner (DVB-T/T2/C). Now I try to get cable channels tuned because there is some problems with terrestial signals (messing with lte signal), but only get "no signal" during channel scan.
Quick search gave this: http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=27875. So there is some cable no signal lock issue with this stick. I don't know what dvblogic guys had to do to repair this, but maybe someone have a clue what it could be?

micko

Portal Pro
May 27, 2006
Home Country
Finland Finland
just to be sure: have you configured this stick as hybrid tuner, as described in Wiki?
No I haven't since all unused hybrid tuners has been disabled. Now they are configured as hybrid tuners, but same problem still exists. Good point anyway Vasilich.

micko

Portal Pro
May 27, 2006
Home Country
Finland Finland
Hi,
Oops logs, shame on me. Can watchdog to be used to get tvservice logs? Anyway I did it manually, here you are.

I have tried drivers from CD and PCTV website with same result. Website have driver for this model only with tvcenter application. Windows itself cannot find any driver automatically. Btw PCTV's Tvcenter can tune to DVB-C channels using this stick.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the logs micko (y)

I assume you've tried both the "DVBC" and "generic" preferred network provider options?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/02_TV_Servers#Edit_Tuner_Settings

I've been looking around on the net and it seems there are other programs with 292e compatibility issues. DVBViewer for example:
    http://www.dvbviewer.tv/forum/topic/55243-dvbv-doesnt-find-channels/
    http://www.dvbviewer.tv/forum/topic/54366-delock-dvb-t-c-hybrid-stick-funktioniert-nicht/
    http://www.dvbviewer.tv/forum/topic/55258-hauppauge-pctv-triblestick-292e-compatible-with-dvbviewer/

From what I can understand it seems like there might be two versions of the 292e. One based wih a Realtek chipset; the other with an eMPIA chipset. The eMPIA one may work; the Realtek one may not. I know a little about an older version of the Realtek chipset which did have a proprietary API for DVB-C support. If PCTV/Hauppauge/Sundtek created a BDA driver for it then I find it quite surprising that it isn't working for you. It is possible that using the Sundtek driver may help, but be careful - it could also damage the hardware. I don't recommend trying it except as a last resort.

I will try to contact PCTV/Hauppauge support and see whether they can help. Don't put too much hope in that though. My experience with PCTV support hasn't been the best.

In the meantime I'll take a look at the driver and see if it tells me anything...

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Wow, Thanks mm you really cared about this :)
    I assume you've tried both the "DVBC" and "generic" preferred network provider options?
    Yes I tried both options. Results are the same.
    Also measured the signal and it is fine (ie. 330MHz: level 65.5dB, C/N 32dB, Pre BER <1.0E-06)
    From what I can understand it seems like there might be two versions of the 292e. One based wih a Realtek chipset; the other with an eMPIA chipset. The eMPIA one may work; the Realtek one may not
    Since you took this seriously I have to take too. Opened my 292e tuner and found out it luckily has a eMPIA decoder chip. It's exatly like this one here (all chips are same):
    http://blog.palosaari.fi/2014/04/naked-hardware-15-pctv-triplestick-292e.html
    It is possible that using the Sundtek driver may help, but be careful - it could also damage the hardware. I don't recommend trying it except as a last resort.
    Ok, Will try Sundtek only if you don't get any other solution. Now I have only tested three PCTV drivers (website did has just driver for this). CD driver, website driver and TVcenter driver. TVcenter software didn't recognize this tuner with drivers which I originally had installed from the driver CD (it identify as 292e). After installing driver (exe) that came with TVcenter it started working with it (yes cable tuner too) and now it identify as 291e. Tried to tune cable channels with MP TVservice using this "repaired" driver but it still cannot lock to signal.
    I will try to contact PCTV/Hauppauge support and see whether they can help. Don't put too much hope in that though. My experience with PCTV support hasn't been the best.
    In the meantime I'll take a look at the driver and see if it tells me anything...
    I appreciate this a lot! Still, don't use too much your precious time to this (y)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Message sent...

Hello

My name is ***. I am one of the developers for MediaPortal's TV Server (www.team-mediaportal.com).

Yesterday we received a support request from somebody who is trying to use a PCTV 292e to receive DVB-C signals in MediaPortal.

The tuner works in TVCenter, but it always returns "no signal" in MediaPortal.

I have seen that the same problem existed in DVBLink but was fixed a couple of months ago:
    http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=27875

Are there any unusual or proprietary processes that must be used to tune DVB-C with the PCTV 292e?
    If so, can you please supply technical information to help us resolve this compatibility issue.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Let's see if they respond. :)

PS: The support form didn't have 292e or 291e. I selected 290e... :eek:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again micko

I have received a very helpful response from PCTV support! :)

They told me that DVB-C tuning with the 292e requires support for a proprietary interface, and gave me the details for that interface.
    I will attempt to implement support for the interface in TVE 3.5 (MP2 Native TV)... and maybe I can also supply a "test" version for TVE 3 (MP1 TV Server), just to confirm that it works. This will probably take several days...

Best regards,
    mm

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    haven't you ask them whether it will be possible do not use any proprietarity and do it the right way in drivers? or is it some hardware specific that cannot be hidden with drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom