pctv 292e dvb-c problem (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    haven't you ask them whether it will be possible do not use any proprietarity and do it the right way in drivers? or is it some hardware specific that cannot be hidden with drivers?
    No, I didn't ask about that. I assumed that if it were possible to implement it in the driver and they wanted to do it then they would have done it already.

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I would call this the best dev support MM! Hope there is more 292e users, but at least I have two of them :D

I have received a very helpful response from PCTV support!
    Nice, Your expectations with PCTV support might get some pros with this.

I assumed that if it were possible to implement it in the driver and they wanted to do it then they would have done it already.
    This is odd thing. Maybe they just wanted to know how many will use dvb-c feature with other recording solutions :).

I will attempt to implement support for the interface in TVE 3.5 (MP2 Native TV)... and maybe I can also supply a "test" version for TVE 3 (MP1 TV Server), just to confirm that it works. This will probably take several days...
    Great! I am ready to test it as soon as its ready or you wanted to. Just installed TVE 3.5 too for testing purposes. Still hope you can find a time to supply a test version for TVE3 (have to use it as it's our one and only tvrecording system).

Last edited:

Andras

October 31, 2014
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi,
    I'm facing the same problem as Micko. Trying to find channels with my 292e, eMPIA chipset using MP, but all I get is "no signal".
    The tuner is working fine with the native software (TVCenter), but the devs at PCTV forgot to include DVB subtitle support for DVB-C.
    So you better master all relevant languages or record everything you want to watch and use a video player, which can handle DVB subtitles.
    Anyways, I wanted to give MP a try as I've heard how awesome it is :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again @micko and @Andras

First, sorry for the delay in providing this patch.

Without further ado, please find a first version of the patch attached. I'm not sure whether this version will work, or whether further modifications will be required.

Installation instructions:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Go to the "manual control" section.
    3. Click "stop service".
    4. Close TV Server configuration.
    5. Open Windows Explorer.
    6. Navigate to the TV Server install directory (default c:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server).
    7. Make a backup of TVLibrary.dll.
    8. Download and extract the attached patched version of TVLibrary.dll into the TV Server install directory to replace the standard version.
    After this you're ready to see if the patch works. :)

Please try to test both DVB-C and DVB-T/T2 if possible, because the patch affects both.
    After testing, please post the TV Server log files regardless of success or fail because I want to check debug information etc. and make sure the patch is working as intended.
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Zip all the files in that folder.
    4. Post/attach the zip file here.
    Thanks in advance for helping to test... :)

Best regards,
    mm
    PS: The patch is compiled for MP 1.9, but I expect it should work for MP 1.6+. Maybe even MP 1.5. It should continue to work for new versions of MP as well (including the just-released MP 1.10 PR).

Attachments

• TVLibrary[1.6+_eMPIA_DVB-C].zip
      206.2 KB

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    First, sorry for the delay in providing this patch.
    There is nothing to be sorry about. You sure are busy and we are thankful already for great support you're giving to us :)

I did a clean install (mp 1.9 ) to my testing pc and followed your instructions. Still get "no signal" message for DVB-C. DVB-T/T2 works fine. Logs show some exception thrown.
    Code:
    [2014-11-12 17:47:35,650] [Log  ] [9  ] [INFO ] - Check for eMPIA
    [2014-11-12 17:47:35,660] [Log  ] [9  ] [ERROR] - Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      at Mediaportal.TV.Server.Plugins.TunerExtension.Empia.Empia.FindPropertySet(Object obj, String objType)
      at Mediaportal.TV.Server.Plugins.TunerExtension.Empia.Empia.Initialise(String tunerExternalId, Object context)
      at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.ConditionalAccess..ctor(IBaseFilter tunerFilter, IBaseFilter analyzerFilter, IBaseFilter winTvUsbCiFilter, TvCardBase card)
    Here is full logs (T&C channel scan). I did the following:
    - Stopped server and cleared all logs.
    - Replaced tvlibrary.dll
    - Connected DVB-C network to the stick
    - Started configuration (&server) and tried to scan channels (C)
    - Got "no signal" for all muxes. Zipped all logs after scan finished (dvb-c test scan.zip).

- Stopped server and cleared all logs.
    - Connected DVB-T network to the stick
    - Started configuration (&server) and tried to scan channels (T&T2)
    - Scan ok. Zipped all logs after scan finished (dvb-t test scan.zip).
    - Checked client and WatchTV is working fine.

Sincerely,
    Mikko

Attachments

• dvb-c test scan.zip
      13.9 KB
    • dvb-t test scan.zip
      10 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for testing so quickly! :)

From the log file I see I made a mistake in the code. Please can you try version 2, attached.

Attachments

• TVLibrary[1.6+_eMPIA_DVB-C_v2].zip
      206.2 KB

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks for testing so quickly! :)
    Sure as quick as I can. My day job, evening school and that you're living at nights (from our point of view :D) are only delay makers.
    From the log file I see I made a mistake in the code. Please can you try version 2, attached.
    I did the same testing with v2. Still "no signal" with C and T/T2 are ok. Measured DVB-C signal with digiair pro and it's very good (level and quality). Your 'eMPIA check' function seems to work now and no exceptions on logs.

Attachments

• dvb-c test v2 scan.zip
      13.6 KB
    • dvb-t test v2 scan.zip
      9.7 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmmm, still no signal. :(
    Honestly, I'm not sure what the problem is. I think I've followed the instructions from PCTV Systems correctly.

Can you please:
    1. Try the current patch (v2) with preferred network provider for the DVB-C tuner set to "generic", like the DVB-T/T2 tuner.
    2. Try the attached patch (v3), existing DVB-C tuner ("PCTV 291e/461e BDA 28179 TVTuner C") with DVB-C only.
    3. Try the attached patch (v3), new "virtual" DVB-C tuner ("PCTV 291e/461e BDA 28179 TVTuner [mm eMPIA DVB-C]") with DVB-C only.
    To be clear about (2) and (3)...
    The new patch tries two things. First, it tries a change with the existing DVB-C tuner. Second, it adds a new "virtual" DVB-C tuner... which is actually a wrapper around the normal DVB-T tuner, probably similar to the normal DVB-C tuner except created by TV Server instead of the driver. I don't know if it will work or not, but I guess we should try everything... :)

Best regards,
    mm

[edit: I also sent another email to PCTV Systems to check whether there is something else we need to do to make it work.]

Attachments

• TVLibrary[1.6+_eMPIA_DVB-C_v3].zip
      207.4 KB
    Last edited:

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Ok, thanks again your persistence. I will try those as soon as i get back home this evening. I'm not sure did I understood right the first test(1) though.

Btw,I'm building new test PC and rearranging my lan system. After that I can give a teamviewer access to that test server.

I'll be back with test results later today (20-21 GMT+2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom