Playing Vinyl (1 Viewer)

Gobbo

Portal Member
October 3, 2016
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone produce a plugin to be able to play vinyl with MP2?

Or is there one already available?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Let me ask you a question... Why?
    There is no sense in playing Vinyl disks from inside MP. You need to operate the turntable by hand as always and the sound quality is worse than to play it directly on your HiFi. Worse sound and worse comfort, not what one expect to have.
    If you want to use your records inside MP2 (or a MP3 Player or burn them to CD) you need to rip them into a computer readable format. But as this needs filters (anti noise, anti scratch and similar) and editing (cut the recording into separate songs) this is nothing that can be done nicely from within a HTPC GUI...

This is similar as if to play VHS videotapes from within MP2. This also don't make sense...

Gobbo

Portal Member
    October 3, 2016
    Home Country
    I'm just finding it difficult playing my turn table though my pc, as I'd like to mp3 my vinyl collection.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'd like to mp3 my vinyl collection.
    Ok, that makes sense. ;)
    For this you better use Mouse/Keyboard and a "normal" PC. You can connect your HiFi to the PC (Tape Out to Line In) with a cheap Stereo Chinch to 3,5mm Jack adapter cable and record the output to HDD. Or you can buy an USB turntable, but most likely your HiFi is doing the better job.
    Free and good software to do this is Audacity. But you also can use commercial software for that, if you like...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ahh, forget to mention that I definitely would prefer to use FLAC instead of MP3. Most MP3 Player and nearly every media player solution (incl. MP2) can play this lossless format..

Gobbo

Portal Member
    October 3, 2016
    Home Country
    Thanks Lehmden,

You have gone above and beyond, I will looking to Audacity.

Users who are viewing this thread