Plugin: RefreshRateChanger (1 Viewer)

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Same thing but Start MP2 at 50hz:
    - I feel the UI really smooth, I press F10 and see the render at 50 fps, (y)
    2014-05-02 22_51_45-Greenshot.jpg
    - I tried a 29.97 fps video and the TV switch to 30hz
    2014-05-02 22_52_18-Greenshot.jpg
    - I decided to try a 23.976 fps videos, My TV switch to 24hz and the playback was perfect (y)
    2014-05-02 22_53_19-Greenshot.jpg
    - I stopped the playback and the TV turn back to 50hz with smooth UI in sync with the TV. (y)
    - Then I tried a 25fps video, the TV stays at 50hz with a perfect playback to (y)
    2014-05-02 22_54_17-Greenshot.jpg
    - I finished with the TV (MPExtended). The source is 29.97 but my TV stays at 50hz. Maybe it's normal because it takes the ''default'' refresh rate for tvside (the one I start MP2 with).
    2014-05-02 22_55_15-Greenshot.jpg

Here's my log

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the testing! It helps a lot!
    - I finished with the TV (MPExtended). The source is 29.97 but my TV stays at 50hz. Maybe it's normal because it takes the ''default'' refresh rate for tvside (the one I start MP2 with).
    The VideoFpsWatcher currently only considers the FPS attribute of the VideoAspect (which was gathered during media import time from MediaInfo). For LiveTV this attribute is not yet filled, that's why no switch happens at all. This also applies to OnlineVideos etc. I currently look for a solution, either by detecting FPS ourself or using MediaInfo also for stream sources.

The only real issue I currently can see is your example here: this is wrong, only 11fps rendering of a 23.970fps clip: it means that a .Present() should happen, but VSync is already over. So only every 2nd Present() call is considered.
    2014-05-02-22_27_53-greenshot-jpg.150004

A note to rendering if no Video is playing:
    the "default" render mode always targets 50 fps by manually timing. If you use VSync, the screen refresh rate will be synced (60 Hz in your first test).

As soon as a Video starts, the rendering will sync to the Video present rate.

After your tests, is my summary correct?
    • In 50Hz TV:
      • mode all playback is working well
      • TV mode changes are working properly
    • In 60Hz TV:
      • for 23.970 fps the switch of TV mode uses 24 Hz, but playback terribly stutters (11fps only)
      • All other modes are ok
    Your issue with 23.970@60Hz we could solve by adding the proposed setting of FPSs, that should not involve screen mode switching.

Can you please post a list of your supported TV resolutions and refresh rates?

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    After your tests, is my summary correct?
    In 50Hz TV:
    mode all playback is working well
    TV mode changes are working properly
    Exact (y)

In 60Hz TV:
    for 23.970 fps the switch of TV mode uses 24 Hz, but playback terribly stutters (11fps only)
    All other modes are ok

Yes except for 25 fps content, TV switch 24hz instead of 50hz = stutters
    My Workaround is to press Alt+tab (then release tab) and let alt pressed until the MP2 video destutters itself in the small thubmnail in windows. After that everything is perfect until I quit MP2. I mean no more stutters. But 25 fps continue to switch my tv to 24hz instead of 50hz and the render shows 23.976.

Can you please post a list of your supported TV resolutions and refresh rates?

According to windows:

In 1080

23p
    24p
    25 interlace
    29 interlace
    30 interlace but in MP2 you are able to switch my TV to 29 or 30 in progressive and works #1
    50p
    59p
    60p

Last edited:

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The VideoFpsWatcher currently only considers the FPS attribute of the VideoAspect (which was gathered during media import time from MediaInfo). For LiveTV this attribute is not yet filled, that's why no switch happens at all. This also applies to OnlineVideos etc. I currently look for a solution, either by detecting FPS ourself or using MediaInfo also for stream sources.

Maybe let the user choose during installation (PAL or NTSC)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I've replaced the Plugin from the new MP2 installer with the one from this build. For me this older one is working better. Newer one failed to work really often (no refreshrate change also it's necessary) the older one did not fail a single time but I haven't done a lot of testing up to now...

I can confirm that the playback is stuttering right at the beginning, if RRC has changed the RefreshRate. It takes about one (or two) minute until playback is getting smooth again.

On my old system with NVidia GPU I never had any issues with this plugin. Now with Intel GPU I have the failure of the new plugin and the stutter at the beginning with the older one... I can imagine that on AMD GPU this will be different again...

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I can confirm that the playback is stuttering right at the beginning, if RRC has changed the RefreshRate. It takes about one (or two) minute until playback is getting smooth again.
    One think I was seeing is when viewing the Graph it does not seem to lock in....
    Its real close but the .xyz changes up and down Mostly yz than .x

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do you have a new build of this plugin morpheus?
    A new version will be published soon as part of new release.

Could you please test this new build? It's attached here and has two new settings (settings->players->video player):
    1. Enable refresh rate changes
    2. Exclude certain rates from changes (enter integer values like "23,25,50" which will not lead to refresh rate changes)
    The build should work with 10th AE and update test builds.

Please report back if this works for all as extended

Attachments

• RefreshRateChanger.7z
      6.7 KB

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @kilik360 could you test this build, if the exclusion of refresh rates and enable/disable of plugin from settings works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom