Poll: Have you got a 3D TV or are you going to buy one? (1 Viewer)

Have you got a 3D TV or are you going to buy one?

• I've got already a 3D-ready TV!

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • I don't have one, but i'm planning to buy one of them, soon!

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • No I'm not interested in this! (too expensive, half-baked etc.)

Votes: 83 80.6%

• Total voters

ronzelver

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 13, 2008
    Sittard
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I recently bought a Samsung PS50C7700 which is 3D capable but that was not the main reason for buying this panel. I was looking for a replacement of my 5-year old 42" HD-Ready Hitachi panel :cool:
    However, the 3D features are a nice gimmic (even the built-in 2D-to-3D conversion). Would be nice if MP would support full HD 3D (frame sequential) source material (Blu-ray?) in the future :D

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Would be nice if MP would support full HD 3D (frame sequential) source material (Blu-ray?) in the future :D
    Does MP even have to care? Wouldn't it just be handed to the player app like currently happens with BluRays at the moment?

ronzelver

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 13, 2008
    Sittard
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Would be nice if MP would support full HD 3D (frame sequential) source material (Blu-ray?) in the future :D
    Does MP even have to care? Wouldn't it just be handed to the player app like currently happens with BluRays at the moment?

You're probably right, MP doesn't need to know and leave everything for the external player (e.g. PDVD 10 Ultra Mark II), but a fully integrated internal player would still be nice(r) :)

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    You're probably right, MP doesn't need to know and leave everything for the external player (e.g. PDVD 10 Ultra Mark II), but a fully integrated internal player would still be nice(r) :)
    OK, what about ripped content? If you were to rip a 3D BD title to a MKV as you do now, could that be played?

Would it just be the codecs that would need to support it? or would MP need to know about it?

I really don't know how this video content is encoded, you know, whether is it two streams or just one. I have no idea.

jojo1411

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Poll: Have you got a 3D TV or are you going to buy one?

I think this is one of the actual problems. There is no standard for encoding these 3D BD's. Although there are already some encoded 3D BD's but they are coded in two Mkv's (one for each eye). I dont believe/hope that this will be the final solution.

guyver_dio

Portal Member
    August 20, 2010
    won't be interested in this for many many years, not until

a) they work out all the kinks and figure out the best possible unified method for displaying and running 3D

b) the technology doesn't require glasses

c) the price becomes reasonable

I like the idea that they are exploring 3D television though, might be the next step towards another type of technology, like some holographic-style 360 degree visible tv or something.

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Answered No. main reason: very early state of technology. There are no-glasses TV coming and who knows if this 3D would be enough big hit to start mass releasing 3D BD. Also there is much content avaible yet. So best thing is to wait and see how is this going do evolve.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    so i posted earlier when i didnt have a 3d tv ..now i do

i havnt got my glasses yet (still waiting on them to be mailed to me

honestly its a gimmick and they say u can really watch it for more than 30 mins without getting a headache...let alone a 2+ hour movie..lol

when 3d tv's which do not require glasses come out..u will see it be much more popular (that and the fact theres only a few titles out in 3d atm)

its sort of a moot point unless i get a graphics card capable of HDMI 1.4 (REQUIRED FOR 3D) ...lol

Users who are viewing this thread