Porting the TV server to Linux (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I too think it would have been nice with MP on linux, but lets get realistic. Its implemented on Windows now and id rather have a stable MP on windows soon rather than a new unstable linux version in a 6-12 months time :)

As far as i can see two big benefits of Linux(which are not a matter of taste) are:
    1. The freedom to create a MP-distro which would potentially make it incredibly easy to install a complete MediaPortal system. (however, one could still make an n-lite type build script that required a WinXP CD and would output a MediaPortal windows install CD).
    2. Price, right now MediaPortal costs the same as MCE because you have to buy windows license to use it.

On the other hand we have to face up to the fact that the MS MCE is what will be targeted by hardware manufacturers and content providers(ie drivers and codecs, drm crap). Combining this with the amount of work that has already gone into MP in Windows, it would be a bit crazy to start porting it to linux now. From a development point of view, it would pretty much be like starting from scratch.

It anyone wants to give it a try id happily donate some money to that end, but i can understand why the development team doesnt want to port MP.(and im not too keen on it either, having spent alot of time developing a *DirectShow* filter for autocropping ;)

leo212

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2005
    leo212,

Firstly the instead of picking faults with MP install, please help us improve it. There is a thread here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=11779 where you can make suggestions for improving the installation process. Or as you can code, you could help make these improvements.
    I didn't mean to pick faults, but I'll look at this thread.

Secondly what makes you think MP has no life after vista? There are many examples of programs that come free with windows, but users choose to download another program and use that instead for whatever reason. One such example is Firefox.
    Firefox came after IE and offered much more, and still hold only 10% of the web browsers, the right example is Netscape that held 100% of the market and totaly crashed just after IE came.
    But I hope you'll right and MP will continue be developed and live long time after vista...

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    This is forgetting that for many users windows comes included with their new computer.

Then look at it another way, with linux that new HTPC could be cheaper :) Just because its included in the price doesnt mean you arent paying :)

Btw, apart from my C64 and Amiga 500 i never bought a PC with the OS included :) I also think that people messing with HTPC's and MP are usually also the kind of people that custom-build their PC(and therefore usually dont get the OS included).

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ok everyone, we all know that the MP devs are not going to be convinced (and fair enough) and we're just going aroung in circles, so I pose this question:

What's wrong with the mythtv project?

I know their product is a bit behind and not very user-friendly in some areas (as I stated in a previous post), but why does everyone want to start from scratch and do a port of MP instead of improving the solid foundation of mythtv? They're an open-source project just like MP.

Sam

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Netscape didn't "crash" because IE came along. Netscape lost their market share because they decided to throw away all their code and start again from scratch, and got overtaken in features by IE because they didn't have a release for years just when the internet was starting to move into the mainstream. Also, Firefox is basically the result of this code rewrite of Netscape, as I understand it, so I don't really understand your point.

Throwing away the code of MediaPortal and starting again on a new platform would be as big a mistake as Netscape made when they did basically the same thing, especially as the HTPC market is only gaining momentum at the moment (see the parallels?).

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Throwing away the code of MediaPortal and starting again on a new platform would be as big a mistake as Netscape made when they did basically the same thing, especially as the HTPC market is only gaining momentum at the moment (see the parallels?).

Good point. MP has an advantage over MCE when it comes to DVB support(especially when DVB subtitle support is added), it would be a really bad idea to throw this advantage away. By the time a usable version of MP on linux was ready, MCE would have overtaken MP.

It would be better to push the DVB advantage, since this could really make MP the media center of choice in europe.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    What's wrong with the mythtv project?

I know their product is a bit behind and not very user-friendly in some areas (as I stated in a previous post), but why does everyone want to start from scratch and do a port of MP instead of improving the solid foundation of mythtv? They're an open-source project just like MP.

I was actually more wondering about the software that is used on boxes like the Dreambox and the Reelbox, i know its linux based and i know it supports watching pay tv, and so its probably also open source.

But who am i kidding? Im sticking with MP, it has by far the most active development community and a focus on good support for DVB(which is all i care about ;)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Its realy funny that one point is totally missed here.

the technical issues of MediaPortal on Linux are one thing.

BUT we simply do not have the MANPOWER to create a Linux MediaPortal version and MAINTAIN it then too.

Even big companies are not able to release/maintain their applications for 2 or more Operating Systems.
    How should an open source project be able too then?

Give us 20 more dedicated coders who KNOW HOW TO CODE FOR LINUX and we could talk about it again.

We would also need developers who WANT to do it. Since we DO NOT FORCE any developer to do anything.
    Because that would not be fun. And SPENDING YOUR SPARETIME to work for MediaPortal MUST BE FUN.
    If the fun is gone -> the Team Member is gone.

And please do not forget how long it took until MediaPortal reached the current state.

Sure it would be nice to see MediaPortal running on Linux or MacOSX too.
    But who should code and maintain that? :)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Sadly, now it is much difficult to install MP:
    2. Install .NET 2.0
    3. Install MediaPlayer 10
    4. Install .NET 1.1 (if you want to use my messenger plugin)
    :mad:
    how about using Windows Update?

An UP TO DATE Windows installation is not ONLY required by MediaPortal!

Thats why Porting to Linux is important issue for MP.
    until now i have not seen a single REAL argument why MediaPortal would:
    - perform better on Linux
    - be easier to install for the ENDUSER on Linux
    - be easier to configure by the ENDUSER on Linux
    - be easier to use for the ENDUSER on Linux

So at the moment some ppl are only demanding to get what THEY want, because it is "better and necessary".
    they totally forget/ignore what would be required and how long it would take to get it done!

Some ppl also forget/ignore that the majority of the ENDUSERS are using Windows.

Developing and maintaining MediaPortal for more than one Operating System is simply IMPOSSIBLE, since WE HAVE NO DEVELOPERS for such a HUGE OPERATION.

So it could only be, Windows or Linux.
    Why should we then force ppl to switch to linux?
    What are the KILLER ADVANTAGES of Linux which would legitimate such a switch?

Would it be nice to see MediaPortal running on other Operating Systems too?
    -> YES, that would be great!

Do we have the REQUIRED MANPOWER to develope and maintain MediaPortal for other OS's?
    -> NO

THINK about the whole situation, and try to imagine the INSANE AMOUT OF WORKHOURS that have been SPEND IN THE SPARETIME to PROVIDE YOU FOR FREE with one of the best HTPC applications!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom