Porting the TV server to Linux (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    As said before this thread isnt leading to anything
    The linux-lovers keep on throwing in all kind of arguments like
    price, netscape, usability, stability etc etc and that windows is bad, costs 2 much, is too unfriendly, too difficult to setup, mp wont survive vista etc etc.

I thought i made this clear.
    The development team is not going to start a linux port, so stop nagging about it
    Join MythTv, port it yourself whatever.
    I'm getting really sick about the linux ppl which are just saying
    ' gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme '

I'm really thinking about closing this thread.
    If this whining and nagging continues, it will be closed.
    Discussing a linux port is fine with me as long as it leads to something.
    If it continues to be just another linux/windows war, the thread will be closed!.

Let me make this clear.
    I dont want to see any arguments anymore
    - why linux is better then windows (or vice versa)
    - why we should port the tvserver to linux/macosx/...

You are free to discuss things like
    - who wants to help porting it
    - how the port should be done
    - which technologies should be used for linux/macosx
    - progress about porting
    - etc etc.

Frodo

arkay

Portal Member
    June 20, 2006
    Frodo and all other devs. I appreciate everything you've done for MP on windows and I also appreciate that you have neither the man power or the desire to move away from that which you know, nor should you based on a "that'd be great" or "we want it" request from the outspoken few.

Frodo has summed it up well and if there can be found a dedicated group of linux coders that would like to take on the task of a sister MP project on linux then lets hope they step up to the plate.

It's a credit to the MP devs that they would even be willing to entertain a co-operative effort with such a project on a foreign platform (even if the co-operation only extends as far as sharing the existing sources and documenting the interfaces between modules).

MP is no small development and the dedication put in to, and the joy extracted from, it's development on Windows would be exactly what would be required from a Linux Dev Team. You can't just go and learn to love being a linux programmer because someone else wants you to.

So are there and Linux Developers reading this? Would you be interested?

I would but I fear my coding skills are not in the required league for something like this. But I am a Unix Admin by trade and could help in other ways. Scripting, installers, packaging, beta testing
    etc etc.

Cheers,

Arkay.

kerpow

Portal Member
    June 1, 2006
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    This is really getting quite boring! Maybe I am not reading the thread properly, but I don't think that anyone asked any dev to port MP to Linux, its a discussion thread talking about issues surrounding the idea, and seeing if there would be support from anyone who wants to join in.

If the idea of MP on Linux makes you skin crawl and your blood boil, then do yourself a favor and stay out of this thread. Cos while these forums remain in the public domain folks in the public domain will use them to discus things like this. And if you don't want public discussion, well, close the whole lot down, don't start telling people what they can and can't talk about, thats ridiculous!

So are there and Linux Developers reading this? Would you be interested?

Count me in, we will need a lot more than just me (believe me) but we have to start somewhere.

As for everyone else (you know who you are), whats the point of having an open source project if not to invite others to share in the effort. And if that means a bunch of people want to have a go at spinning off something new, well, that should be applauded not shouted down (EVEN if the majority of people are not interested). Stop spoiling the fun.

If the bitching on this forum keeps up then I might be able to host a new forum else where, but that will be very sad day.

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Kerpow, I think you misread the posts by our Dev team somewhat. They are NOT stating that they want to "forbid" a Linux port, they are merely stating that they, as individuals, are not interested. I have read this tread, though at some distance, and have up until your post not seen a single poster offering a hand in developing a port. Now, if a user community is able to talk about a major overhaul of a project without a single offering of help for over 8 pages by now, I'd start to get worried and possibly somewhat irritated too would I be part of a dev team.

You might consider rereading Frodo's last post, he is actually responding to various remarks in this topic, not ranting at random merely due to his generic dislike of open source or something like that, and I do think he has a good point in limiting the subject of this discussion.

And please, do keep in mind that bitching is sometimes a logical response to over-extended begging, as every parent might tell you.

Now, while I know I'm sounding quite bitchy (is that an existing word?) myself, please understand, all I try to say is that the fact that some people here tell they won't help in attempts to get MP ported does not mean they oppose your ideas, in contrary, it might even mean that they do like the idea, they just say THEY don't want to divert THEIR attention towards it.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    arkay and kerpow
    If you are able to form up a team which tries to port MediaPortal to linux, i will even install Linux and help with testing.

The post of onkl is 100% correct.
    Until page #8, there was noone who actualy said "Lets start with porting, i am a developer and can help."
    It looked more the ordinary "Hey devs, provide us with a MediaPortal for Linux asap".

I realy hope you will find more developers who are able to help you with such a huge project :)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe to qualify you should start with a MythTV control plugin for MP ;)

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Maybe to qualify you should start with a MythTV control plugin for MP ;)
    I don't know anything about qualifications to dev (well, OK, I do know I shouldn't be qualified ;)), but such a plugin surely would be very appreciated. :)

leo212

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2005
    That point has been already said and cleared.
    But if MP developers (that did great job so far) wrote the MP code so it could be not so tight depended on Microsoft Products - so MP could be a portable project, like many other projects, that can run on any platform without the need to maintain them all.
    Just one code - the fits all. (mono,mysql,opengl instead of .NET,SQLServer,DirectX)

PURE OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE MUSTN'T BE DEPENDED SO TIGHT WITH COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE - even when it free.

I understand it is impossible now. but it is OK to dream and hope that someday this dream will come true...

and frodo, feel free to stop reading this thread...

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Leo212,

Please read this post from Frodo: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=11652#post82856

(You would have found and read this thread if you had of searched for "linux" before starting this new thread)

Also it has already been covered that MP is not bond to SQLServer and it will be possible to use MySQL, or any other database of your chosing.

/James

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom