[solved] - Possible (TsReader?) regression in 1.16

Discussion in 'General Support' started by Threarah, June 21, 2017.

1. Threarah
    • Premium Supporter

Threarah MP Donator

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    I've noticed that an old bug seems to have reappeared having updated to 1.16 from 1.15. Seeking through recordings from a particular channel (PRIME here in NZ) will sometimes cause the image to freeze, but the audio to continue. It appears to have the same symptoms of the bug discussed here: Experimental TsReader development - the fix itself was here: [MP1-4257] Modify TsReader.ax to handle NZ 'Prime' and other problem channels - MediaPortal JIRA

I found this: [MP1-4816] Merge TsReader, TsWriter, Live555 and HEVC upgrade changes - MediaPortal JIRA in the 1.15 -> 1.16 changelog that mentions extensive changes to TsReader that may or may not be culprit. Perhaps the previous fix is no longer functional after the changes?

Here's the brief recording I provided last time that was used to reproduce it: MEGA
    I've also got a longer recording of the effected channel here: MEGA

As I've downgraded back to 1.15 as a workaround, I don't have any logs at hand demonstrating the issue - I assume they'd be similar to the old bug. Though ff logs are needed I can always backup/upgrade/reproduce/downgrade/restore, though as that could take some time I'm hoping its easy to reproduce with that.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Owlsroost Development Group

Ratings:
    +4,131 / 1
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    That change you mention (from 2013) is still in TsReader.

If you want me to investigate this, I'll need some logs and a recent recording (the broadcaster may have changed things over the 4 years since the original recordings).

To save you having to re-install MP 1.16 to do this (and to check if it's TsReader causing the problem), attached is a recent dev version of TsReader which should work OK with MP 1.15 (provided VC++2015 redist is still installed). To install, replace TsReader.ax in C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal with the new version, after making a backup copy of the original MP 1.15 file.

Attached Files:

4. Threarah
    • Premium Supporter

Threarah MP Donator

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    I think I've narrowed it down to the TsReader.ax that was shipped with 1.16.

I ran the following tests:

MediaPortal 1.15 with the default 1.15 TsReader.ax = works fine
    MediaPortal 1.15 with the attached dev TsReader.ax = works fine
    MediaPortal 1.16 with the default 1.16 TsReader.ax = occasional problems with seeking - video freezes
    MediaPortal 1.16 with the attached dev TsReader.ax = works fine

Here's a 740MB recording made this evening that I was testing with: MEGA
    Here's some logs: MEGA

In those logs, I first ran MP 1.16 with the default TsReader.ax from 1.16 and seeked forward and back a dozen or so times. The picture froze a couple of times while doing this. I then ran MP 1.16 with the TsReader.ax that you attached above and did the same, this time without any problems. I also noticed seeking was considerably more responsive using the dev build as well.

I haven't tested 1.17 pre-release.

Hopefully that's enough to go on. If you need anything else let me know. During the meantime I'll just run 1.16 with the more recent TsReader.ax.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. morpheus_xx
    • Team MediaPortal

morpheus_xx Lead Dev MP2

Ratings:
    +6,814 / 11
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    @HTPCSourcer, @aspik maybe also a starting point for further tests of video playback issue in MP2? We are on same version as MP1.16

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

6. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,408 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    You were faster than me.:) I had also seen the thread this morning and thought this could be something. The described behavior is exactly what I experience, however, it also applies to recordings, hence the underlying working hypothesis from Owlsroost that it is linked to the broadasting channel signal would possibly not be correct. It would certainly explain why ts files react differently than mkv's. I will test this, probably tomorrow.

7. aspik
    • Team MediaPortal

aspik Development Group

Ratings:
    +591 / 1
    Unfortunately it doesn't apply to me. Currently I don't have any LiveTV, therefore I don't use the TsReader.

8. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Owlsroost Development Group

Ratings:
    +4,131 / 1
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Thanks for the testing and files :)

For comparison, could you attach a set of logs for the MP 1.16 plus dev TsReader.ax please - I'm also interested in the live TV behaviour on the 'problem' channels as well.

9. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,408 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    @Owlsroost , would the tsreader.ax only affect Live TV or also the playback of ts recordings?

10. morpheus_xx
    • Team MediaPortal

morpheus_xx Lead Dev MP2

Ratings:
    +6,814 / 11
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    It is used for all cases (recordings, timeshift on local/UNC and RTSP)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Threarah
    • Premium Supporter

Threarah MP Donator

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    The logs I attached should already contain this. Using the default 1.16 TsReader.ax I seeked a dozen or so times then restarted MP using the dev build instead and did the same.

I'll have a play later on to see if it happens with live TV too.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!