[solved] Possible (TsReader?) regression in 1.16 (1 Viewer)

Threarah

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2013
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've noticed that an old bug seems to have reappeared having updated to 1.16 from 1.15. Seeking through recordings from a particular channel (PRIME here in NZ) will sometimes cause the image to freeze, but the audio to continue. It appears to have the same symptoms of the bug discussed here: Experimental TsReader development - the fix itself was here: [MP1-4257] Modify TsReader.ax to handle NZ 'Prime' and other problem channels - MediaPortal JIRA

I found this: [MP1-4816] Merge TsReader, TsWriter, Live555 and HEVC upgrade changes - MediaPortal JIRA in the 1.15 -> 1.16 changelog that mentions extensive changes to TsReader that may or may not be culprit. Perhaps the previous fix is no longer functional after the changes?

Here's the brief recording I provided last time that was used to reproduce it: MEGA
    I've also got a longer recording of the effected channel here: MEGA

As I've downgraded back to 1.15 as a workaround, I don't have any logs at hand demonstrating the issue - I assume they'd be similar to the old bug. Though ff logs are needed I can always backup/upgrade/reproduce/downgrade/restore, though as that could take some time I'm hoping its easy to reproduce with that.

Good luck!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That change you mention (from 2013) is still in TsReader.

If you want me to investigate this, I'll need some logs and a recent recording (the broadcaster may have changed things over the 4 years since the original recordings).

To save you having to re-install MP 1.16 to do this (and to check if it's TsReader causing the problem), attached is a recent dev version of TsReader which should work OK with MP 1.15 (provided VC++2015 redist is still installed). To install, replace TsReader.ax in C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal with the new version, after making a backup copy of the original MP 1.15 file.

Attachments

• TsReader_4.2.2.35.zip
      318.1 KB

Threarah

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2013
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think I've narrowed it down to the TsReader.ax that was shipped with 1.16.

I ran the following tests:

MediaPortal 1.15 with the default 1.15 TsReader.ax = works fine
    MediaPortal 1.15 with the attached dev TsReader.ax = works fine
    MediaPortal 1.16 with the default 1.16 TsReader.ax = occasional problems with seeking - video freezes
    MediaPortal 1.16 with the attached dev TsReader.ax = works fine

Here's a 740MB recording made this evening that I was testing with: MEGA
    Here's some logs: MEGA

In those logs, I first ran MP 1.16 with the default TsReader.ax from 1.16 and seeked forward and back a dozen or so times. The picture froze a couple of times while doing this. I then ran MP 1.16 with the TsReader.ax that you attached above and did the same, this time without any problems. I also noticed seeking was considerably more responsive using the dev build as well.

I haven't tested 1.17 pre-release.

Hopefully that's enough to go on. If you need anything else let me know. During the meantime I'll just run 1.16 with the more recent TsReader.ax.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @HTPCSourcer, @aspik maybe also a starting point for further tests of video playback issue in MP2? We are on same version as MP1.16

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @HTPCSourcer, @aspik maybe also a starting point for further tests of video playback issue in MP2? We are on same version as MP1.16
    You were faster than me.:) I had also seen the thread this morning and thought this could be something. The described behavior is exactly what I experience, however, it also applies to recordings, hence the underlying working hypothesis from Owlsroost that it is linked to the broadasting channel signal would possibly not be correct. It would certainly explain why ts files react differently than mkv's. I will test this, probably tomorrow.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I then ran MP 1.16 with the TsReader.ax that you attached above and did the same, this time without any problems. I also noticed seeking was considerably more responsive using the dev build as well.

Thanks for the testing and files :)

For comparison, could you attach a set of logs for the MP 1.16 plus dev TsReader.ax please - I'm also interested in the live TV behaviour on the 'problem' channels as well.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It is used for all cases (recordings, timeshift on local/UNC and RTSP)

Threarah

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2013
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    For comparison, could you attach a set of logs for the MP 1.16 plus dev TsReader.ax please - I'm also interested in the live TV behaviour on the 'problem' channels as well.

The logs I attached should already contain this. Using the default 1.16 TsReader.ax I seeked a dozen or so times then restarted MP using the dev build instead and did the same.

I'll have a play later on to see if it happens with live TV too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom