PowerDVD and SAF (1 Viewer)

andydixon

Portal Member
July 11, 2005
Christchurch, New Zealand
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
You can use SAF and cyberlinks directshow codecs together.

Just install PowerDVD on any PC and copy videofilter folder (For PowerDVD9 it's under C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD9\VideoFilter) and its content to any place on MP PC (ie. c:\Videofilter).

Call regedit and export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink from PowerDVD PC registry and import it on MP PC.

Finally call cmd and go to folder c:\Videofilter on MP PC (cd c:\Videofilter) and register both codecs:
regsvr32 cl264dec.ax
regsvr32 CLVsd.ax

Now you can select both codecs inside MP Configuration.

It works for me with PowerDVD8 and 9 and I can use SAF too (even reinstall without complaining).

Thanks Slurm. I was having major trouble getting this to work, until I exported and imported the registry settings.

dlthorpe

Portal Pro
January 10, 2009
The export solution you suggested Slurm. Do you actually have PowerDVD installed on the HTPC for playing bluray / HD-dvd discs?

Im not sure if this method means you actually have both PowerDVD and SAF installed and working - with both allowing upgrades?

Thanks,
D

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The export solution you suggested Slurm. Do you actually have PowerDVD installed on the HTPC for playing bluray / HD-dvd discs?

Im not sure if this method means you actually have both PowerDVD and SAF installed and working - with both allowing upgrades?

Thanks,
    D

No, this is only for the codecs and not for the program.

If you want PowerDVD for watching Blu Rays you should go the other way round and first install PowerDVD and then register the relevant codecs you want from SAF. I'm sorry if this was misinterpreted as having the whole program installed.

dlthorpe

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2009
    Hey man no worries at all. Thanks for the help!

Would it definately be bad to install SAF first and then PowerDVD after?

Does PowerDVD mess with SAF or codecs that much that its seriously not recommended? I know its "blacklisted" from the SAF sticky but not sure why :)

Thanks,
    D.

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I think it's blacklisted because of the divx codec it installs too, as Paranoid Delusion said in the second post in this thread.

You can of course install PowerDVD after SAF and see if there are any problems, especially with divx/xvid encoded files. If you`re not satisfied with the result uninstall it (and eventually uninstall and reinstall SAF too). Just remember that you always have to uninstall PowerDVD before updating SAF and install it again afterwards.

arryo

Portal Pro
    July 12, 2008

Just install PowerDVD on any PC and copy videofilter folder (For PowerDVD9 it's under C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD9\VideoFilter) and its content to any place on MP PC (ie. c:\Videofilter).

Call regedit and export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink from PowerDVD PC registry and import it on MP PC.

Finally call cmd and go to folder c:\Videofilter on MP PC (cd c:\Videofilter) and register both codecs:
    regsvr32 cl264dec.ax
    regsvr32 CLVsd.ax

It works for me with PowerDVD8 and 9 and I can use SAF too (even reinstall without complaining).

Why do we have to call regedit (in bold), I thought we can just simply do regsvr32?

By the way, does the new version of PowerDVD codec look better? I like its codec alot but somehow it's not running smoothly for some movies

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

regsvr32 cl264dec.ax
    regsvr32 CLVsd.ax

Why do we have to call regedit (in bold), I thought we can just simply do regsvr32?

By the way, does the new version of PowerDVD codec look better? I like its codec alot but somehow it's not running smoothly for some movies

Without regedit you can't use the h264 codec.

The quality of the new version is comparable to the one of the old one (PowerDVD 8). I use it only for HDTV and not for HD Movies (here I use SAF which plays back all of my movies).

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I also use the PDVD codec for tv only, as use MPC for everything else. Do you notice a difference between pdvd8 ultra and pdvd9 codec?

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I also use the PDVD codec for tv only, as use MPC for everything else. Do you notice a difference between pdvd8 ultra and pdvd9 codec?

I think PowerDVD 9 looks slightly sharper and has less blur in motions. But this is really just my personal opinion.

steve760

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Let me get this straight, if I use the SAF I do not need PDVD whatsoever? At the time we just have a large selection of DVD's on hard disk and we Play BD and HD Disc's from an LG optical drive. Would be nice to get rid of PDVD all together if i do not need it, does SAF include the same codecs as PDVD9? And if I do not need it, now I have figure out how to remove that button for HD I added to the main menu of MP..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom