PowerDVD and SAF (1 Viewer)

steve760

Portal Pro
March 10, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am currently running PDVD9 Ultra and so far have had no issues from everything I have tested with it, so far no issues in MP, of course I have only some basic types of video's and stored DVD's, i dont have some of not so widely used formats, maybe if someone has some links to some different types of movie files that we can download and test, i will let ya know if we have issues. But as of now everything seems to be fine.

dither

Portal Member
March 29, 2008
Home Country
I wish I could say the same.
I had PowerDVD8 installed, with my dvd's copied to my hard drives in ifo,bup,vob format, and going to VIDEOS in MP all I had to do was click on the picture to get PowerDVD8 to play the ifo.
I upgraded to PowerDVD9, and that ease of use went away.
I have DVD9 configured EXACTLY the same as DVD8 was, but when I click on the pic, it comes up saying "there is no disc in drive d".
Even if I click on the video_ts.ifo file directly it still gives me the same result.
Clicking on the video_ts.ifo file in PDVD8 plays it just fine.
If I create an ISO and use Daemon to mount it, it DOES work, but that would mean I have to create iso's out of 540 movies to get Pdvd9 to work.
I am NOT happy about that.
Has anyone else had this problem? And fixed it?
Cyberlink has been of no help, saying it should work, but I've tried it on XP, Vista and Vista 64 and it does the same thing each time.

steve760

Portal Pro
March 10, 2009
Home Country
Not having this problem, i dont want ask a dumb question like have you updated PDVD9, but have you. I just went and tested and everything works fine, I am using the latest SVN SAF and PDVD9 and I have it configured as recomended on the first download thread of SAF, also we are running Moving Pictures plug as well, every thing works great except for our computer going to sleep all the damn time after installing MPstandbyHandler2.0.0.7 what has been uninstalled and we are still having issues, with two identical vista machines.

I would go through and double check your folder mappings and settings in both MP and PDVD and make sure all is still correct.

We have our DVD's stored in the same fashion as you, ripped straight to HDD from anyDVD. Running Vista 32 Premium.

Hope you get this figured out.

dither

Portal Member
March 29, 2008
Home Country
I'm glad it works for you, that gives me some hope.
I want to go into some detail, just to make certain we are talking about the same things.
Example:
If I ripped Iron Man, I would have created a folder called IRON MAN, and within that folder would be a VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS_01.ifo, a couple of BUP files and a few 1.5 gig VOB files, plus a scan of the cover called folder.jpg
So far are we looking at the same thing?
Then, in Media Portal the PATH to that movie would be K:\Iron Man\VIDEO_TS.ifo
Clicking on the Picture would start PowerDVD8 playing the movie.
With PowerDVD9 it just says "there is no disk in drive D:"
Now, if I double click DIRECTLY on the VIDEO_TS.ifo with PDVD 9, it gives me the same message, but double click on it with PDVD 8 it works.
So, since I'm doing it directly, and seeing the same error, it's not an MP config issue it would seem.
This really has me baffled, because as I wrote before, if I create an ISO and mount it with Daemon, it works..... but trying it a second time it does NOT work, and hasn't worked since.
I'd really like to get this working because the True Theatre stuff has some nice features for my standard dvd's.
You mention upgrade. I just purchased this (via download) from Cyberlink 2 days ago, and went looking for a patch - but found nothing.
Any suggestions?

steve760

Portal Pro
March 10, 2009
Home Country
On powerDVD 9 try changing to the directory manualy from the bottom left corner button of the normal/default PDVD skin, should look like an Hard Drive and you should have the choice to open movies from Hard Disk. With my MediaPortal i am playing the DVD's on my hard disk (well streamed from windows home servers hard disk) using the default MP Player that is in turn using PDVD9's codec for DVD files. No issues so far. We are playing Blu-Ray's using PDVD9 using "HD Starter Plugin" that you can find edited for PDVD9 in my post HERE PDVD9 opens and closes fine with this plugin setup.

Like I said though we dont actually use PDVD's player/navigator for the DVD's on Hard Disk, we do however use the codec with MP's player, works beautifully and looks great this way, I believe the upscaling is working as well since it uses PDVD9's codec.

Hope this helps.

We just tried opening a file from a movie DVD store on HDD with power DVD 8 on our desktop (no MP installed) and we are not able to get it to open in the manor you detail "Clicking on the VIDEO_TS.IFO file" we get the message of no disc in drive as well, we forgot we still had PDVD8 on this comp so we thought we would give it a try, I have never opened the movie's in this manor, I always just point PDVd and a few other programs directly to the VIDEO_TS folder located in the named movie folder "example = video's\dvd's\BRAVEHEART\VIDEO_TS" and they play in this manor, I pointed MP to locate DVD's in my folder named DVD on my server, it found them all, then once we installed Moving Pictures it found them as well. Im not sure how you get the actual PDVD to open for regular DVD's in MP, i have not even tried that, just for Blu-Ray's and HD's.

dither

Portal Member
March 29, 2008
Home Country
Changing the default directory was one of the first things I tried. When I install it, it says "we have detected X number of optical drives, we will choose X for the default" and gives you NO option to choose another at that time. In fact if you try to change it, either in preferences, or with the "hard drive" icon in the lower left, it just changes back. It will NOT keep any change.
Now, if I try to play a dvd, then get the message "no disk....." THEN click on that icon, I CAN choose to play media from the hard drive, I can click on the movie folder I just tried playing, and it will play the movie just fine. Kind of defeats the purpose of the MP database though.
Unfortunatly we can't create a PATH to just a folder using MP's database - it has to go to a VIDEO_TS.IFO file,,, and there we come full circle to the issue.
If using the 9's codec means that it ALSO enables NVIDIA's hardware acceleration, then I'll have a look at your option. I guess I could open up task manager and compare the CPU utilization.
I'll find out for myself, but your knowledge will help guide me:
Will I still have some of the same options for Hardware acceleration, deinterlacing, any of the TrueTheater options?

"manor you detail "Clicking on the VIDEO_TS.IFO file" we get the message of no disc in drive as well"
After reading this, I went to one on this puter, with or without MP, tried it with 8, it works fine. Tried it with 9, same error. That is very very odd that YOUR 8 doesn't work, but mine does.
Interesting also is that within the preferences of BOTH 8 and 9 is a box that says "Play ifo files". On 8, whether that box is checked or not it works. On 9 it does NOT work - checked or not.
"video's\dvd's\BRAVEHEART\VIDEO_TS" which is exactly what my path points to.
What does MOVING PICTURES do? (I know it's here, but I find the descriptions very vague)
To get PDVD8 to open for regular dvd's, I just select USE EXTERNAL PLAYER in MP config, and tell it where the PDVD exe is located.
I mentioned before that I tried it with an ISO, and that it worked once, then wouldn't.
That isn't entirely accurate because HOW I tried it both times was different.
If I use MP and MY VIDEOS selection - set on the view SHARES, click on the BRAVEHEART (example) icon, I see it say "unmounting - mounting" (referring to DAEMON TOOLS) then it opens up a NEW BRAVEHEART icon. Clicking THAT one opens up a VIDEO_TS.IFO bar and another (can't remember what)
Clicking on the VID_TS bar plays the movie. Which isn't what I want, has a very low WAF.
BUT, going from the TITLES view (which is the view that gives me access to ALL of my movies) when I click on the BRAVEHEART icon it says "put a cd in" - and you cannot cancel out of it, nor close down MP in a normal manner. I have to use Task Manager to kill it.
As it sets right now, I have MP configured to use 8. When I want to play an actual BLUERAY disk (can't see burning those to a hdd even when it becomes possible - until a terebyte starts selling for $50) I just put the disc in, and 9 starts up.
But 8 doesn't have a couple of the TrueTheater features that 9 has, and what's probably bothering me most is that I just paid $100 for 9.
Hopefully all the detail here will prompt someone to say "AHA!" and provide a solution.... right now it would tell ME " AHA!!!! I'll make sure I do NOT buy 9!!"

steve760

Portal Pro
March 10, 2009
Home Country
I would say first you should install "Moving Pictures Plugin" and enable/configure it from the plugins options inside MP Configuration. If you dont have this and you have DVD's on your Hard Disk, then you are missing out, it will hunt out the dvd's "still make sure it configures the right root folder/drive you keep them in. It will add cover art if you do not have any already and a description of the movie also a big picture/back drop of the movie when viewing it info in MP, you will play the movie and are anle to change other things through the moving pictures plugin when in MP. It was basicly maid for people with the setup we are using. Just get it installed, nothing to it, once enabled, configure it and let it scan, then it might find some dvd's its not sure what they are, you will have to use the drop down and select the movie, just like an mp3 tagger. Though it does not change your folder names or anything with your dvds, it creates its own database. It is also best to make sure that each dvd's folder is mnamed as close to the actual movie's name as possible and tell "Moving pictures" in its config that to use folder names when searching for movie info, also check the options to use the "folder.jpg" art you have in the movies folder (you can also add different names like cover.jpg to have it find as well) also if you have a rare movie that it does not find the background picture for if you have the second option checked to search folder for backdrop.jpg then Moving pictures will use it.

Also install the HD DVD Starter Plugin, it will start PDVD9 and stop it and resume MP when you want play a blu-Ray or HD DVD, i do not rip these types of disc's either as they are just too large, so i rent them every now and then and just play them in this manor. I should say I have turned off all the autoplay functions from with in the autoplay of the control panel of Vista, I set them all to "do nothing" this way i start the playback through MP.

Im not sure on the TrueTheater stuff, you will have to experiment with that, maybe see if you configure that in PDVD9 seperate from MP (MP Closed) then start MP and Play a DVD through Moving pictures and see if it seems that the stuff you have enabled in PDVD is working.

I mainly wanted power dvd 9 so that it would Cinema skin that it has, as it incorporates great with the monochrome skin of MP, and just for playing Blu-Ray's.

dither

Portal Member
March 29, 2008
Home Country
Thank you very much for the detailed description of Moving Pictures. I went to their site last nite, read about it - but like I said, the descriptions leave out that bit that only a user can explain.
I'll give it a go, it certainly sounds more user friendly regarding the folder.jpg and such.
One thing I figured out last nite (though it's probably common knowledge to others) is that in spite of the fact that MY VIDEOS has it's database under -where else- MY VIDEOS, it's actually under the DVD section of MP config that I make the change to use either an external or internal player for my rips. Just seems odd to me that changing it under the VIDEOS section of MP's config doesn't matter. Would it be safe to say that:
1. The Video's section was really intended for things like home videos, mpeg's and avi's?
2. That it was never really intended to be used for dvd rips. Though if that is the case, why include the database w/ the imbd search ability?
3. That Moving Pictures is what (as you stated) we would have wanted in the first place?
Going to try it all on Saturday. I'll shout out the results.
Thanks again, cheers

I just reread the "configuration" notes, and a post further in this thread about the HD DVD Starter Plugin.
You mention something about changing the path for the differences between Vista 32 and 64.
I am using Vista 64, what should I do?

steve760

Portal Pro
March 10, 2009
Home Country
I am not sure why they included the ability of IMBD in the Video's section, my guess would be that the DVD section was added after the video's section and originally MP only cofigured DVD and Video through the same area.

Here is a link to the HD Starter for PowerDVD Cinema mode, as I have changed it so now powerdvd will open in cinema mode all the time, as before I kept having change it to cinema once it opened.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...king-solution-hd_starter_powerdvd9-cinema.zip

You will need follow the directions from the first page of this thread below as well as download the other components needed, as the HD Starter that I have modified only replaces the original one from this thread below.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/plugins-47/blu-ray-hd-dvd-player-powerdvd-working-solution-32268/

dither

Portal Member
March 29, 2008
Home Country
Let me start with .... WWWWWOWWW! Moving Pictures is EXACTLY what we needed, you were dead on! It was easy to configure, easy to set up for scan, accurate (95%) on the scan, and easy to correct the ones that were not right. Visually, it adds a lot to the process of picking a movie, and the WAF was high (always a BIG bonus)
As for configuring MP to use the PDVD codecs, here's what I found:
MP's NATIVE player uses 12% (avg) cpu.
PDVD(8 or 9) with Hardware Acceleration (nVidia purevid) uses 12%
PDVD 9 using all three True THeater options (which requires HardWare acceleration to be turned OFF) uses 90% CPU, and frankly didn't improve the picture very much.
Also found that using MP's player freezes MP when the movie ends, (no matter which codecs I use) and I can't even bring up TaskManager to kill the MP, I have to hit the reset button on my puter.
This was on my desktop (running XP SP3) so it may have worked with Vista, but right now my solution for using PDVD8 with MP, and PDVD9 as a stand alone for those times I use BlueRay is sufficient - - - now that I have Moving Pictures.
I should probably mention I LIKE IT!! I'm going to keep an eye out for any fix to the PDVD9/IFO issue, but 'til it's solved I'm happy with how it all works.
And thank you Steve for ALL of your help.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom