PowerDVD and SAF (1 Viewer)

steve760

Portal Pro
March 10, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
No problem, Moving pictures had the same effect on me when I first added it, it is by far the single greatest addon for MP, I just posted over in that forum last night about a way with it to parental control with it and the maker said that would be coming in the next release, so that is great too.

I am not having any issues with PDVD9 and windows vista 32 and SAF codec pack, the only issues I am having are that I installed the Powerhandler plugin and wish I had never done so, even after removing it my system keeps going in standby even while I am pushing buttons or moving a mouse, I recommend staying away from that Powerhandler plug, at least for now, just a warning in advance. I am going to check my cpu usage with pdvd9 and see what it is, I don't really pay a lot of attention to what audio codec I use because i use optical spdif out and do external decoding. We will see if we have any issues though and report back the CPU usage between the different variations.

dither

Portal Member
March 29, 2008
Home Country
I just re-read my last post, and I need to clarify one thing.
I mentioned that using the internal player, no matter which codec, freezes Media Portal when the film ends, and the video drops to that small window. That only happens from within Moving Pictures. Doesn't happen with the same internal player, when I use MY VIDEOS.
Now to get My Pictures sorted out..... if only the family would stop TAKING pictures!
ack!

steve760

Portal Pro
March 10, 2009
Home Country
That does not happen to me, though i should mention that i am using the latest SVN/Nightly Build release of MediaPortal. You may want to download and install that over your existing installation, if you do, remember to choose to backup the current installation and you could revert back if needed (not sure how to revert as I have not needed to) but I think that Moving pictures along with saf are both developed to be used with the latest builds of MP.

dither

Portal Member
March 29, 2008
Home Country
Well, Cyberlink has finally fessed up. It turns out that PowerDVD 9 will NOT play IFO files like the earlier version of PowerDVD 8 will. In fact, the latest version of Pdvd8 will not play IFO's either. While they WILL play if you select the folder from the drop down "source" selection, it isn't the same ease that my wife and kids were used to.
It's " a problem we are researching and will fix in a future patch"
Frankly, I'm not holding my breath. After reading 20 or so pages in CyberLinks forums it has become clear to me that CyberLink has little interest in fixing issues that were introduced in PowerDVD9.
I hope I'm wrong though. I've used the True Theater options in PDvd9 and contrary to what I posted earlier, it does make a difference. I'd like to be able to use them in the manner I was used to (clicking on the movie in Moving Pictures) instead of having to select them manually from the drop down menu. The kids found that easy.
Still enjoying Moving Pictures though.

steve760

Portal Pro
March 10, 2009
Home Country
You know we did a fresh install of the 1.0.1 release and Moving Pictures and all is working great for us. We are still using PowerDVD9 and SAF still no issues, works better than ever. We are not currently using MP for TV though, plan to in the future when I have switch from FTA satellite to cable for a while, but that will be for only basic cable. I had Back Up my moving pictures data base from withing C:/Programs Data/ to make sure I did not lose my customizations to Moving Pictures, but that worked fine just added the database back after the reinstall of MP and Plugins.

The only 4 things we installed for plugins was Moving Pictures, HD_Starter (for Blu-Ray with PDVD9), MTVMusicPlugin, myYoutube. Also we installed the MonoChrome Skin. All is good, all works great.

Did you try using the PowerDVD9 codec with MP for DVD and Video and see if that compares. You could try for audio as well.

Like I said i am liking the new release and everything is working great.

dlthorpe

Portal Pro
January 10, 2009
How are you guys using PVD9 and SAF these days as I dropped PDVD9 because installing SAF complained it was there.

Im now using WinDVD but that doesnt work with HD Starter solutions - which ive just accepted.

But if PDVD9 now works with SAF without complaint - or you have a easy workaround - ill switch back?

Ta,
D.

dlthorpe

Portal Pro
January 10, 2009
But if PDVD9 now works with SAF without complaint

I have used PDVD9's mpeg2 and h.264 with the MPC-HC codecs with no issues, you may find the Cyberlink codecs need reinstalling if SAF removes them, that's all.

But doesnt SAF complain that PDVD is installed in the first place and then quits the installer? It used to if it doesnt now. So the only thing i could do was uninstall PDVD, install / update SAF, then reinstall PDVD.

I didnt want to do that every SAF / PDVD update so i moved away.

Still happening now?

jasonmorriso

Portal Pro
April 19, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada
But if PDVD9 now works with SAF without complaint

I have used PDVD9's mpeg2 and h.264 with the MPC-HC codecs with no issues, you may find the Cyberlink codecs need reinstalling if SAF removes them, that's all.

How exactly do you do this? I uninstalled Pdvd9 and went back to 7 because I couldn't select the codecs in MP anymore.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The last working full set of codecs from PDVD9 can be found at your favourite torrent site by searching for "DXVA.rar", these need to go in the system32 folder and then registered using the regsvr32m command from the run menu.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom