PowerScheduler++ 1.4.0.x - Stable versions for MediaPortal 1.4 (5 Viewers)

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
...When I got home I tested what happens if my htpc/server is woken up my another client and if it would go to sleep after this client went off. [...] So apparently something in the client, some other plug in or whatever is telling the tvservice to keep the machine in away mode. As I need the client plugin to keep the machine active while playing media I don't know what to do...
So you have got a remote client (your "other client"). And what you noticed is the intended behavior: The MP TV-Server will not shut down until the last remote MP client is off (or in standby). This is no bug, but a feature - otherwise you could shut down your server while the client still needs it.

PS: If you need a solution for the annoying 'audio mute after returning from Away mode' prob I can show you a very easy solution for that with eventghost.
PS++ should do this too - did you make other experiences?

Michael

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
I don't have logs unfortunately but right now i'm afraid i can only conclude that PS++ 1.2.3.0 is capable of breaking a healthy MP installation on Windows 7 64-bit machine.
More than 5.000 users have downloaded PS++ 1.2.3.0 until now and no bugs like the one you describe have been reported. I don't think it is very useful for the other users (neither for you) to claim that PS++ has serious bugs without first sending logs and give me the chance to analyse them and to tell you what is really going wrong on your system.

Michael

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
What are the best settings for using PowerScheduler++ with the Custom Data Grabber (Sky UK) to get the HTPC to wake up to grab the EPG? Right nowI have PowerScheduler++ set to schedule EPG grabbing at 01:58 every day (with no channels ticked in either TV EPG Grabber or Radio EPG Grabber), then I have "Sky UK Grabber" set to grab at 02:00 every day. Will this work?
I am sorry but I do not know anything about the "Sky UK Grabber". If it implements the EPG grabber interface it should have no scheduler on its own and would start at the time the EPG grabbing is scheduled in PS++. If it is a standalone application then it should be able to wakeup the system on its own (without PS++).

Michael

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Michael,

So you have got a remote client (your "other client").
    Didn't have one until today, installed MP on a notebook and tested. The prob existed before I had any other client in the network.
    And what you noticed is the intended behavior: The MP TV-Server will not shut down until the last remote MP client is off (or in standby). This is no bug, but a feature - otherwise you could shut down your server while the client still needs it.
    In the meantime I understood that and I am very glad that ps++ is able to handle such cases :) I could witness that very impressively in the logs...
    But my problem is another: If I fire up mp and close it again my single-seat system won't go to sleep. It will go to away mode when it receives the sleep command from my remote. Right after closing mp I get this:
    Bild 012.jpg

If only the remote clients connects and disconnects there will be no entry under AWAYMODE: and it will go to sleep.

As written above if I disable the ps++ plugin in the my clients config there will be no entry in away mode section and the machine will go to sleep.
    But unfortunately it will do so too when I'm in MP listening music or anything else. So turning off the ps++ client plugin is no option I suppose...

PS++ should do this too - did you make other experiences?
    Unfortunately I did but don't know when I implemented the eventghost workaround. I will disable it a test a little bit so I can report back to you.

Please tell me if you want me to test any kind of scenario producing logs...

Luca

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey again Michael,

did a quick test on the 'audio mute after returning from Away mode' thing. Disabled eg workaround, send machine to sleep via remote (mp was not running but the entry in away section was still there). Machine went in away mode and I woke it up. Screen returned but the sound is still muted.

Luca

Pom

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't have logs unfortunately but right now i'm afraid i can only conclude that PS++ 1.2.3.0 is capable of breaking a healthy MP installation on Windows 7 64-bit machine.
    More than 5.000 users have downloaded PS++ 1.2.3.0 until now and no bugs like the one you describe have been reported. I don't think it is very useful for the other users (neither for you) to claim that PS++ has serious bugs without first sending logs and give me the chance to analyse them and to tell you what is really going wrong on your system.

Michael

Yes sorry about the accusation, was written in haste - no offence intended. For the record i find (found) this plugin useful and would prefer to see it replace the standard built-in one as part of the normal installation process. My comment was based purely on the fact that i had a stable system and had made no changes (i was aware of) other than upgrade PS++ to the latest - then my problems started...

Anyway, an update on my situation. After resolving the 'only going to Away mode and not S3' problem as per post above, i then found that if MP woke up to make a recording, MP client hangs and then the PC never goes back to sleep (this is the original problem i had when i first upgraded PS++, except it used to go away when i uninstalled PS++ - but now it is still there even with PS++ uninstalled). When i forcibly closed down the MP client via Task Manager the PC immediately goes to sleep. The TV recordings are always fine so TV Server is absolutely fine, it is just the client that screws up.

So i took the plunge and did a full uninstall and clean up of MP and TV Server then installed it all afresh but minus my plugins and customisations. Set the PC to record something overnight, put it to sleep, then in the morning....... PC is still on because MP has hung again! The last entry in Mediaportal.log is at the time of the recording "System resumed from sleep or hibernation due to a wake-up event" (or something like) and then that's it - no more entries. TV program was recorded fine though.

So i still have a major problem. My next move is to do the same thing tonight but running MP in debug mode and with the "Apply workaround to prevent MP freezing on resume" start-up option enabled. Hopefully logs will shed some light on the situation. When i fix it - i will use PS++ again!

It's just frustrating when you have a stable system and then due to some unknown reason it gets broken...

Pom

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    Hi Pom,

PS: If you need a solution for the annoying 'audio mute after returning from Away mode' prob I can show you a very easy solution for that with eventghost.

Luca - yes i am interested, would you mind PM-ing me the details? Thanks!

Although i am hoping to use PS++ again in the near future in which case i'm hoping it will take care of this for me...?

Lee

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Luca - yes i am interested, would you mind PM-ing me the details? Thanks!
    Although i am hoping to use PS++ again in the near future in which case i'm hoping it will take care of this for me...?
    I'm sure it will!:)

I'll put it here so anyone who's interested can have a look: Link.

Please any comments and questions in the thread over there.

Luca

Pom

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    Luca - thanks.

All,

Ok here are some logs from my poorly system, where Mediaportal is hung/frozen every time after waking from S3 --> Away mode to perform a scheduled recording. I realise i don't have PS++ installed currently but problems *may* have and seemed to start after i upgraded PS++ from previous version to the latest. Either way, i appreciate this is most likely a system problem and not MP or plugin problem and would really appreciate the help of the MP community in pin-pointing the cause of the problem.

So this is what i did:

1. Set up a 10 minute recording ("Pingu") starting at 6am this morning.
    Note: I have 5 minute pre/post record period and 1 minute pre-record wake up, so PC will be set to wake up at 5.54am and go to sleep again at 6.15am.

2. Put PC to sleep using remote at ~10.15pm last night.

3. This morning PC is ON and not asleep in S3 as it should be. Pressed green button on remote to transition from Away mode to fully awake (audio is muted - yes very annoying...). Mediaportal is frozen on last nights screen ~10.15pm and is unresponsive. MP shut down forcibly using Task Manager.

4. Restarted Mediaportal ok. (The program was recorded fine, TV- Server is fine).

Last edited:

Pom

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    (Has anyone else found the 'Upload a File' to not work in Firefox?)

Ok, here's more logs of the same fault - ran last night.

This is what i did:

1. Set up a recording starting at roughly 6am this morning and ending at roughly 6.30am.
    Note: I have 5 minute pre/post record period and 1 minute pre-record wake up.

2. Put PC to sleep using remote at ~10.30pm last night.

3. This morning PC is ON (Away mode) and not asleep in S3 as it should be. Pressed green button on remote to transition from Away mode to fully awake.. Mediaportal is frozen on last nights screen and is unresponsive. MP shut down forcibly using Task Manager.

4. As soon as MP starts gathering the log files the PC enters S3 sleep (presumably because the block has now been removed).

5. Wake up PC straight away using remote so MP can finish gathering the logs.

4. Restarted Mediaportal ok. (The program was recorded fine, TV- Server is fine).

Can anyone spot the problem?

Thanks in advance. Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom