PowerScheduler++ test versions (3 Viewers)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: [New Plugin] PowerScheduler++ (New Version 1.2.0.7)

michael_t

Apologises for my above question/comment - I was already running your latest version, but the installer had only updated the client side of the plugin and not the TV Server side (so I was running two versions!). I checked this on my test machine, and that also had the same issue - so I'm not sure if there is a bug with the installer/update mechanism.

I stopped the TV Server, then performed the update, it successfully uninstalled the current version and then started the TV Server service, I then stopped the TV Server again and continued with the update process where it installed the new files and again it started the TV Server.

This time it upgraded ok. Maybe an issue with file locking?

Weird!

J.

ps - The new options are great - :D

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: [New Plugin] PowerScheduler++ (New Version 1.2.0.7)

Jay_UK:
    To update the server files the tvservice has to be stopped and restarted again after installation. I have no elaborated script running here but only a "net stop tvservice", so sometimes it does not work and the server installation fails without notice.

thepahakurki:
    What could be causing this "Active shutdown is disabled"....?
    It refers to the checkbox on the Standby/Wakeup tab which controls wether PS++ forces a standby (sleep, hibernate, shutdown) actively or just waits for the system to suspend either by system idle timer or by user activity (power off). From your logs I can see that PS++ is not perventing standby and is just waiting for windows to enter sleep mode (which never happens...).
    You should try to find out what is blocking sleep mode on your machine. If it is happening again, open a command window (as administrator) and run "powercfg /requests". This will show you which program or driver has called SYSTEMREQUIRED to inhibit sleep mode. I noticed that some tv card drivers keep up SYSTEMREQUIRED even after recording or watching tv is finished.
    Besides from your investigations you could check the "Active shutdown" checkbox to have PS++ suspend your system actively after it thinks it is idle. This will override any SYSTEMREQUIRED (like a manual suspend).

matejdro:
    Can you add a feature to check for active file shares?
    I have this on the agenda.

Michael

bob808

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2008
    Hampshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

I have installed MP 1.1.1 on a clean Win7 x64 install, and everything is working fine - apart from the computer does not wake up to record scheduled items (setup on season pass using Miroslav/DJ Blu's Sky UK TV Server patch).

My 'client' computers all work with WOL ok, and everything is fine with regards to going to standby (s3) on all of my machines. I have updated powerscheduler to this new ++ version, but still can't wakeup for these recordings.

Is there any specific setting that I should use to ensure wakeup works properly, or any logs that I should look at. The PC wakes up fine with my remote control and works when it does without needing to restart anything.

thepahakurki

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2008
    Finland
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Re: AW: [New Plugin] PowerScheduler++ (New Version 1.2.0.7)

It refers to the checkbox on the Standby/Wakeup tab which controls wether PS++ forces a standby (sleep, hibernate, shutdown) actively or just waits for the system to suspend either by system idle timer or by user activity (power off). From your logs I can see that PS++ is not perventing standby and is just waiting for windows to enter sleep mode (which never happens...).
    You should try to find out what is blocking sleep mode on your machine. If it is happening again, open a command window (as administrator) and run "powercfg /requests". This will show you which program or driver has called SYSTEMREQUIRED to inhibit sleep mode. I noticed that some tv card drivers keep up SYSTEMREQUIRED even after recording or watching tv is finished.
    Besides from your investigations you could check the "Active shutdown" checkbox to have PS++ suspend your system actively after it thinks it is idle. This will override any SYSTEMREQUIRED (like a manual suspend).

Thank you for the tip.

I ticked "Server forces system to enter sleep..." and now it seems to be working perfectly. Guess it's my Terratec TV-card that prevents the standy. Using powercfg /requests I can't find anything preventing standby.

But using "server forces..." option, the system successfully enters standy and wakes up to record scheduled tv-programs.

Works great now! :D

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: [New Plugin] PowerScheduler++ (New Version 1.2.0.7)

I have installed MP 1.1.1 on a clean Win7 x64 install, and everything is working fine - apart from the computer does not wake up to record scheduled items (setup on season pass using Miroslav/DJ Blu's Sky UK TV Server patch).

My 'client' computers all work with WOL ok, and everything is fine with regards to going to standby (s3) on all of my machines. I have updated powerscheduler to this new ++ version, but still can't wakeup for these recordings.

Is there any specific setting that I should use to ensure wakeup works properly, or any logs that I should look at. The PC wakes up fine with my remote control and works when it does without needing to restart anything.
    Well, I do not know what Miroslav/DJ Blu's Sky UK TV Server patch is doing, so I have no idea what is going wrong on your machine. You could send me PS++ server logs (see here for instructions) but I cannot promise to help you.
    Concerning the clients you should check what is preventing suspend (see here for details) and if you are sure it is not something else you can send me PS++ logs too.

Michael

Khurram

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Pakistan Pakistan

I just "found" this plugin yesterday and have started using it. It imported PowerSchedular settings upon install. Nice :) Also, I think that my system is resuming less than it was with PowerSchedular.

I have a question regarding client functionality: is there a way to signal the server pc that a client is connected and it should not sleep/hibernate?

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: [New Plugin] PowerScheduler++ (New Version 1.2.0.7)

I have a question regarding client functionality: is there a way to signal the server pc that a client is connected and it should not sleep/hibernate?
    This is a standard feature of PowerScheduler(++). The client plugin signals user activity / media playing to the server to keep it running as long as it is needed.

Michael

Khurram

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Pakistan Pakistan
    Re: AW: [New Plugin] PowerScheduler++ (New Version 1.2.0.7)

This is a standard feature of PowerScheduler(++). The client plugin signals user activity / media playing to the server to keep it running as long as it is needed.
    Thanks for the confirmation. Btw, the plugin emits an error if used on a client only MediaPortal installation:
    Code:
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.734582 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Starting PowerScheduler client plugin...
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.749583 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: PSClientPlugin: Detected a multiseat setup - using local methods to suspend/hibernate system
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.753583 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: PSClientPlugin: Set hostname to xxxxx
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.761583 [Debug][MPMain(1)]: PSClientPlugin: Registered standby/wakeup handlers to PowerScheduler client plugin
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.779584 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Exception   :System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at MediaPortal.InputDevices.MameDevice.WndProc(Message& msg)
       at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.PluginManager.WndProc(Message& msg)
       at MediaPortalApp.WndProc(Message& msg)
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.791585 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Exception   :Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.850588 [Info.][MPMain(1)]:   site      :Boolean WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.865589 [Info.][MPMain(1)]:   source    :ProcessPlugins
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.871590 [Info.][MPMain(1)]:   stacktrace:   at MediaPortal.InputDevices.MameDevice.WndProc(Message& msg)

As far as I can tell, it works okay on the client. I can attach the full log if you want.

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Re: AW: [New Plugin] PowerScheduler++ (New Version 1.1.1.5)

To be able to tell you more I would need both the client and the server logs.

Here are four sets of logs.

1. Logs are cleaned, the server is restarted and suspends after 5 minutes. The client is then started and wakes the server up, I enter EPG on the client but don't do anything else.

Result: The server suspends.
    Expected result: The server should stay alive since the client is active

Using 1.2.0.7 This problem seems to be back. Attached are logs.

//Johannes

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: [New Plugin] PowerScheduler++ (New Version 1.2.0.7)

Code:
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.734582 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Starting PowerScheduler client plugin...
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.749583 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: PSClientPlugin: Detected a multiseat setup - using local methods to suspend/hibernate system
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.753583 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: PSClientPlugin: Set hostname to xxxxx
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.761583 [Debug][MPMain(1)]: PSClientPlugin: Registered standby/wakeup handlers to PowerScheduler client plugin
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.779584 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Exception   :System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at MediaPortal.[B]InputDevices.MameDevice[/B].WndProc(Message& msg)
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.791585 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Exception   :Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.850588 [Info.][MPMain(1)]:   site      :Boolean WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.865589 [Info.][MPMain(1)]:   source    :ProcessPlugins
    2010-11-28 23:23:44.871590 [Info.][MPMain(1)]:   stacktrace:   at MediaPortal.[B]InputDevices.MameDevice[/B].WndProc(Message& msg)
    The exception does not come from PowerScheduler++, but from the MAME plugin.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom