Problem with two tv-cards by channel-changing (1 Viewer)

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    The latest SVNs should behave differently, at least for DVBs. If you change a channel and theres someone else watching the stream, TV Server trys to tune the channel for the channel. If i can't (different transponder/no card available), it will stop the streaming on the other client and then change the channel.

See if that's your case.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    josu

I will get a price for the longest self-talk in this forum

You WON.

Seriously running DVB-T cards and because cannot totally commit a pc fulltime to TVE3 am only dabbling at moment, cannot confirm what your setup does, behaviour wise.

Hopefully someone with a same\similar problem will reply.

Anyway your not alone (lots of people have read post)

josu

Portal Pro
    March 14, 2006
    Kassel, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The latest SVNs should behave differently, at least for DVBs. If you change a channel and theres someone else watching the stream, TV Server trys to tune the channel for the channel. If i can't (different transponder/no card available), it will stop the streaming on the other client and then change the channel.

See if that's your case.

:D , joboehl

in svn greater 12494 ???????????????

josu

Portal Pro
    March 14, 2006
    Kassel, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    josu

I will get a price for the longest self-talk in this forum

You WON.

Seriously running DVB-T cards and because cannot totally commit a pc fulltime to TVE3 am only dabbling at moment, cannot confirm what your setup does, behaviour wise.

Hopefully someone with a same\similar problem will reply.

Anyway your not alone (lots of people have read post)

Hi Paranoid Delusion,
    :D many have read, I had seen it, but it confused me, if nobody write, your are allone with this problem. I have tried many things to closed out other things (filters, patches ........), I have installed new, every time the same behaviour.

Where can I get my price for the longest selftalk ?????;) (frodo????)

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Not sure witch build, my guess is it should be in 12927 or later.

Is this behavior nor happening for you? If not, please post your logs. Remember to use server+plug-in in the same release.

Maybe something might be happening in the controler when trying to find a channel.

josu

Portal Pro
    March 14, 2006
    Kassel, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hallo joboehl,:D

yesterday I have tried 12938. It seems a littler better with the remote-effect.
    I will try out this evening the newest svn and so I will make a new post with new logs.
    I could not know, that the timeshift-effect was discussed last year in the thread, where you have posted the link yesterday. But there I could see, that there are exist two opinions.
    I think still, that it is better for future-applications to create seperate streams how I suggested.

If you has a great house e.g. with 4 families, you could install 1 server for all, but then, nobody should disturbs the other by switching.

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    josu___,

I don't see much of an advantage to have 2 streams. The problem you are having is bascially a problem of seeking in the second client. If you could change channel and the other client be correctly positioned, it would not need the second file.

The main problem when you share a tuner, is that someone will always loose. You have basically 3 options:

- The client machines change the channel folowing the master.
    - The client machine stops seeing and the master starts seeing the new channel.
    - The master machine is prohibited of changing channel.

Separate files will not change that options. The option implemented now is option 2, AFAIK.

How do you see multiple files helping in this scenario?

josu

Portal Pro
    March 14, 2006
    Kassel, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi,
    I hope, I have understand your comments really.

quote:If you could change channel and the other client be correctly positioned, it would not need the second file.

Thats right, but after switching the other client isnt correctly positioned.

Now I have tested 2 hours and I have find out following:

2.2007 19:47:18 card: StartTimeShifting 2 C:\Programme\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\live2-0.ts
    13.02.2007 19:47:18 Controller: StartTimeShifting started on card:2 to C:\Programme\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\live2-0.ts

and this stand in live2-0.ts

¬Ýˆ C : \ P r o g r a m m e \ T e a m M e d i a P o r t a l \ M e d i a P o r t a l T V S e r v e r \ l i v e 2 - 0 . t s . t s b u f f e r 1 . t s C : \ P r o g r a m m e \ T e a m M e d i a P o r t a l \ M e d i a P o r t a l T V S e r v e r \ l i v e 2 - 0 . t s . t s b u f f e r 2 . t s C : \ P r o g r a m m e \ T e a m M e d i a P o r t a l \ M e d i a P o r t a l T V S e r v e r \ l i v e 2 - 0 . t s . t s b u f f e r 3 . t s C : \ P r o g r a m m e \ T e a m M e d i a P o r t a l \ M e d i a P o r t a l T V S e r v e r \ l i v e 2 - 0 . t s . t s b u f f e r 4 . t s

tsbuffer4.ts would be the right, but after switching there will be played all like above standing.
    It would be enough, if everytimes the last file will be played, here the tsbuffer4ts !!!

Every 8-10 minutes will be created one live2-0.ts.tsbuffer1 - 6. Then this procedure runs again. If you switch channels in this complete time of ca. 50 minutes, you will have all channelchanges from this time in the buffer.
    Thats not bad, if after switching the positions are correct, but this is not the case.

Forget my suggestion with the streams, but a little study over streaming-servers has shown, that unicast is one way. tve seems to work with multicast, but I dont know.

And another problem I have found is this:

skynews from client2 goes not to card1, although on card1 is skynews.

13.02.2007 20:32:03 card: StartTimeShifting 1 C:\Programme\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\live1-0.ts
    13.02.2007 20:32:03 Controller: StartTimeShifting started on card:1 to C:\Programme\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\live1-0.ts
    13.02.2007 20:32:19 Controller: StartTimeShifting Sky News 215
    13.02.2007 20:32:19 Controller: find free card for channel Sky News
    13.02.2007 20:32:19 Controller: got 1 tuning details for Sky News
    13.02.2007 20:32:19 Controller: card:1 type:DvbS is tuned to same transponder
    13.02.2007 20:32:19 Controller: card:1 type:DvbS is available priority:3 #users:1 same transponder:True
    13.02.2007 20:32:19 Controller: card:2 type:DvbS is available priority:2 #users:0 same transponder:False
    13.02.2007 20:32:19 Controller: card:3 type:Analog is disabled
    13.02.2007 20:32:19 card: CardTune 2 Sky News lapjoerg:2:0
    13.02.2007 20:32:19 card:Tune 2 to Sky News

Result look to the picture !!!

If client3 comes up and switches to live-tv, then comes the famous "no audio/video-card is free".

I think, there is something really wrong with complete ts-managment:sorry:

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    I'am assuming here that Client3 also whant's to see SkyNews, right? So basically what we are talking is that TVServer doesn't automatically re-use an already active stream to a new client, is that it?

Well, I don't know where the plan is in this, but there are actually two choices, and I think there is a thread about this somewhere, but let's see:

1 - Automatically route the client to an active stream - In this case, the client can see the channel if someone else is watching. BUT, he is a "slave" and has no control over it. So if the "master" changes the channel, it will not be able to continue watching. So, imagine that someone is wathing "Lost" in it's bedroom, then someone try's to see at the Living Room. MP automatically reuses the stream, but then the kid decides to watch a movie. Suddenly everybody in the living room stops viewing Lost whit out notice.

2 - TVServer doesn't automatically route to an existing stream and tries to find a card. Every user that can tune is in control. THose who can't tune (no free card) need to make a conscious decision of going over an existing stream and know that someone else is in control.

There are some variations of both (look for cards first and then default to an active stream and etc), but they always boil down to the 2 situations above.

Wich one is better? Not sure yet. Sometimes I prefer the first, sometimes I prefer the second. But I tend to prefer the second option more often. :)

This same thing happens when recording. Card is recording a show, someone whant's to tune the show, and then TVServer doesn't reuses the tuner recording the show. So the controler still has some issue worth looking at, and I think most of your issue are related to this.

Since most of the work being done nowdays in TVServer are fixes, devs will probably look at this soon. How is it going to behave? I think at this point only Frodo knows. :)

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Suppose:
    User1 is viewing skynews on card #1
    Now User2 wants to view skynews as well
    What happens:
    1. the tvserver determines which cards are available
    2. If there is an idle card available user2 will be assigned to the idle card
    3. If no idle card is available, user2 will be assigned to card #1

Why is this?
    Well suppose we assign user2 to card#1, he would see skynews
    but now user1 zaps to a different transponder...
    That would mean user2 needs to stop watching tv..
    Current scheme implemented prevents this from happening

Frodo

Frodo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom