Problem with two tv-cards by channel-changing (1 Viewer)

josu

Portal Pro
March 14, 2006
Kassel, Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi frodo,

I have not the overview, how the switching works in detail:sorry:

But I have an idea, but I dont know, it can be realized.

Here my thought:

1. all cards are idle
2. user1 comes up and switch to skynews
3. card1 is assigned to user1

4. user2 comes up and switch to skynews
Here the Inquiry:
is channel present and on which card, then switch to this card, if not then idle card
He get card1
5. so card2 is idle

6. user3 comes up and switch to cnn
Here the Inquiry:
is channel present and on which card, then switch to this card, if not then idle card
He get card2

Both cards are busy.

Now user1 will switch to cnn:
He get card2
But another Inquiry must proof: which users are on skynews (>1, then let skynews on card1)

sometimes it happened, that after switching the clients get the wrong point in ts-file. The client sees the complete timeshift-buffer and get not the actually program.

Because this, I thought its better to create for each possibilty a ts-file like this:

frodo, its heavy for me to reconstruct the thoughts of the devs. I could only work with "try and error" to see, how the tve works.
Perhaps you see a possibility to improve the switching-managment.

josu

Portal Pro
March 14, 2006
Kassel, Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
I'am assuming here that Client3 also whant's to see SkyNews, right? So basically what we are talking is that TVServer doesn't automatically re-use an already active stream to a new client, is that it?

yes, joboehl:)

Well, I don't know where the plan is in this, but there are actually two choices, and I think there is a thread about this somewhere, but let's see:

1 - Automatically route the client to an active stream - In this case, the client can see the channel if someone else is watching. BUT, he is a "slave" and has no control over it. So if the "master" changes the channel, it will not be able to continue watching. So, imagine that someone is wathing "Lost" in it's bedroom, then someone try's to see at the Living Room. MP automatically reuses the stream, but then the kid decides to watch a movie. Suddenly everybody in the living room stops viewing Lost whit out notice.

Because this master and slave-effect I thought about for different streams (unicast)

2 - TVServer doesn't automatically route to an existing stream and tries to find a card. Every user that can tune is in control. THose who can't tune (no free card) need to make a conscious decision of going over an existing stream and know that someone else is in control.

There are some variations of both (look for cards first and then default to an active stream and etc), but they always boil down to the 2 situations above.

Wich one is better? Not sure yet. Sometimes I prefer the first, sometimes I prefer the second. But I tend to prefer the second option more often. :)

I think also, sometimes the first, sometimes the second:confused:

This same thing happens when recording. Card is recording a show, someone whant's to tune the show, and then TVServer doesn't reuses the tuner recording the show. So the controler still has some issue worth looking at, and I think most of your issue are related to this.

YES:)

Since most of the work being done nowdays in TVServer are fixes, devs will probably look at this soon. How is it going to behave? I think at this point only Frodo knows. :)

Hi joboehl,

let us wait for frodo. I think, there is a way for improvement of the switching-managment:)

josu

Portal Pro
March 14, 2006
Kassel, Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello and :D for the new card allocation algorithm, svn 12967,

but it is now more badly with the remote-effect, and the begin-points in timeshift after switching are wrong, too.

Something is still wrong in the new algorithm:(

for tv.log:
both users look eurosport; user1 switch to traumpartner.tv. Server losts eurosport and switches also to traumpartner.tv. Thats the bug again.
In the log stands: server removed, thats not ok !!!

Sometimes comes the error-message: timeshift cant be started, no audio/video found !!!

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Ok, My understanding is:

- If you are tunning to a channel and someone else is watching your stream, the other client will stop when you change the channel. Is this happening for you?

- I took a quick look at the logs and the algorithim seemed to work right. The question is, have you tried to tune traumpartner.tv or you asked for eurosport and got to the wrong channel?

- I don't know if Frodo worked on the positioning algorythim yet, for the positioning when changing channel. Haven't tested yet.

josu

Portal Pro
    March 14, 2006
    Kassel, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, My understanding is:

- If you are tunning to a channel and someone else is watching your stream, the other client will stop when you change the channel. Is this happening for you?

It dont stops, it switching to the same channel !

- I took a quick look at the logs and the algorithim seemed to work right. The question is, have you tried to tune traumpartner.tv or you asked for eurosport and got to the wrong channel?

No, user1 and user2(client on server) look eurosport; user1 switch to traumpartner.tv. user2 losts eurosport how from a ghosthand and switches also to traumpartner.tv.

- I don't know if Frodo worked on the positioning algorythim yet, for the positioning when changing channel. Haven't tested yet.

hi, joboehl:D

I know, its many work with the algorithm, but now is it more badly since the svn before.

If I can help something by testing or so, I am the hole day here.:)

josu

Portal Pro
    March 14, 2006
    Kassel, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    but now is it more badly since the svn before.
    It would help if you describe whats goes wrong in clear steps.
    Since it works nicely for me (and others)

Frodo

hi, frodo,
    I have described since weeks in clear steps, what goes wrong. I have added logs, pictures and text, my system, all things are since a few weeks:mad:
    But if my english is to bad, you must say it.

Since last svn from yesterday, the channelchanging works more badly.
    Please see my posting from today above !

I have no desire, to repeat all things every day. I have spent much time in testing, too.

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Ok, My understanding is:

It dont stops, it switching to the same channel !

No, user1 and user2(client on server) look eurosport; user1 switch to traumpartner.tv. user2 losts eurosport how from a ghosthand and switches also to traumpartner.tv.

Ok, so it seems the problem is actually the same. The "remote" effect right? So the question is, would turn off TV be an ok solution, instead of changing together with the owner of the stream?

EDIT: Ohh, BTW, could you reproduce the problem and attach not only tv.log, but also streaming.log and mpfilewriter.log? This should help have a better understandint what is happening.

josu

Portal Pro
    March 14, 2006
    Kassel, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, so it seems the problem is actually the same. The "remote" effect right? So the question is, would turn off TV be an ok solution, instead of changing together with the owner of the stream?

Turn off TV isnt a solution:sorry: My wife will be very mad, if I switch her the TV out:)

EDIT: Ohh, BTW, could you reproduce the problem and attach not only tv.log, but also streaming.log and mpfilewriter.log? This should help have a better understandint what is happening.

I can reproduce every time. I will make a complete new log today, and I hope, frodo isnt bad to me because yesterday, but look in the forum. Many problems are a result of this design.
    Think about over a re-design with a mixing of multicast (some clients on one channel)
    and unicast (one client on one channel).

What would you say, if you are looking a video on youtube and another user would switch away your video:mad:

If I switch to a channel, I must see this channel, and not the begin of the complete timeshift-buffer:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom