[other] Problems with dropping frames with EVR (1 Viewer)

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Those of you having issues with dropped frames, try setting your system performance to maximum performance in windows power management. That worked wonders for me. Now I got perfect playback with 0 dropped frames with current SVN.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Those of you having issues with dropped frames, try setting your system performance to maximum performance in windows power management. That worked wonders for me. Now I got perfect playback with 0 dropped frames with current SVN.

true !! havent had issues with mediaportal but i did notice some time ago that when i unplugged my laptop from the wall, video playback started flickering in vlc. finally i noticed that unplugging the laptop changes the energy setting. after changing it again to maximum performance, no more problems !!!!

PeterSpunkt

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 8, 2010
    Southwest
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My problem begins this Monday when i have bought my new Samsung LCD FULL HD. On my old LCD HDReady (720p) all is working ok, but with the new resolution 1080p Mediaportal TV becomes slow with jumping DVB-T SD stream, and sometimes gets black screen or exit without any error message playing h264 HD videos (mkv), otherwise, surfing through the menus is smooth.

The problem is "solved" activating the VMR9 rendering but now all the UI interface becomes slow and the HD videos stops playing during a 1ms every x seconds. If i change the resolution to 720p, EVR works without any problem???

I have no problem playing dvb-t streams on Window 7 Media Center

Hello Hemin,

have the same Problem and also a Nvidia 8200 onboard.
    Started with 1920x1080 --> manydropped frames and so stuttering
    changed to 1280x720 --> no more dropped frames and everything is smooth.
    I think the problem is the bad GPU performance.

Will try to switch to VMR9 and reply when i have tesed it!

/PeterSpunkt

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Started with 1920x1080 --> manydropped frames and so stuttering
    changed to 1280x720 --> no more dropped frames and everything is smooth.
    I think the problem is the bad GPU performance.

Will try to switch to VMR9 and reply when i have tesed it!

I had the exact same experience with an onboard Radeon 3200HD and AMD 5050e CPU.

720p screen resolution=perfect playback,
    1080p = many dropped frames.

Setting the system performance in power options to High Performance (i.e. no CPU throttling) made the issue go away and I now have perfect playback also on 1080p.
    May I kindly ask you to try setting your system to high performance, and report back if it helps or not? :D

PeterSpunkt

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 8, 2010
    Southwest
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Problems with dropping frames with EVR

I had the exact same experience with an onboard Radeon 3200HD and AMD 5050e CPU.

720p screen resolution=perfect playback,
    1080p = many dropped frames.

Setting the system performance in power options to High Performance (i.e. no CPU throttling) made the issue go away and I now have perfect playback also on 1080p.
    May I kindly ask you to try setting your system to high performance, and report back if it helps or not? :D

Unfortunately it does not work, even with power options settings at "high perf".
    I decided to use 1280x720 resolution.
    The difference in image quality is not visible at my 32"LCD at a viewing distance of ~4m.

Have a look at this chart Chart: 1080P Does Matter - CarltonBale.com
    and google for 1080p vs 720p.
    1080p seems to be for people sitting directly in front of their 50" screen searching for pixels :)

/PeterSpunkt

dacore944

Portal Member
    June 12, 2007
    Hi,

when i ran MP on XP with VMR9 on ATI HD4670 my video ran smooth on all videos, be it 24, 50 or 60. (i use dynamic refresh rate)
    Since then i upgraded to Windows 7 because ATI doesn't support audio (DTS, DD) via HDMI on XP, they do on Vista and W7.

Currently i run W7, MP 1.1 RC2 on ATI HD5760 via HDMI to my receiver. I run MP on my second display.
    If i use W7 basic with VMR9 my sound isn't in sync.
    If i use W7 basic with EVR my sound is in sync but i get tearing in the lower half of the screen.
    If i use W7 earo with VMR9 doesn't play not good at all.
    If i use W7 earo with EVR my sound is in sync, no tearing, but stutter.

The only way i have been able to get smooth 24p playback on W7 with earo is with MPC and EVR sync option.
    And i tried many different settings. The way i see it, the renderer is causing the problem.
    I thought software (like EVR and DXVA2) were supposed to be better but so far it's been only downhill.
    Should i go back to XP with VMR9 to get smooth playback.
    Is there something i can try, or is it almost impossible to get smooth playback on W7.

Swede

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    West Coast Archipelago
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi,

when i ran MP on XP with VMR9 on ATI HD4670 my video ran smooth on all videos, be it 24, 50 or 60. (i use dynamic refresh rate)
    Since then i upgraded to Windows 7 because ATI doesn't support audio (DTS, DD) via HDMI on XP, they do on Vista and W7.

Currently i run W7, MP 1.1 RC2 on ATI HD5760 via HDMI to my receiver. I run MP on my second display.
    If i use W7 basic with VMR9 my sound isn't in sync.
    If i use W7 basic with EVR my sound is in sync but i get tearing in the lower half of the screen.
    If i use W7 earo with VMR9 doesn't play not good at all.
    If i use W7 earo with EVR my sound is in sync, no tearing, but stutter.

The only way i have been able to get smooth 24p playback on W7 with earo is with MPC and EVR sync option.
    And i tried many different settings. The way i see it, the renderer is causing the problem.
    I thought software (like EVR and DXVA2) were supposed to be better but so far it's been only downhill.
    Should i go back to XP with VMR9 to get smooth playback.
    Is there something i can try, or is it almost impossible to get smooth playback on W7.

You can test an older MP version, like 1.0.2. There seem to be problems right now.

dacore944

Portal Member
    June 12, 2007
    Just tested MP version 1.0.2. clean install, still the same stutter with EVR.
    It seems related to playing in 24 Hz mode because when i play in 60 Hz it doesn't stutter.

hol353

Portal Member
    May 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Have you tried not putting MP on the second display. I've always had problems with stutter and EVR on a multi-display setup, particularly when not on the primary display.

dacore944

Portal Member
    June 12, 2007
    I will test it, make my secondary display the primary and see if that helps.
    In XP it worked very good, but i have read that it may be due that in XP you have VMR9 with exclusive mode.
    But i find it strange that when i play 24p videos in 60hz mode it is stutter free, but playing 24p videos in 24p mode is not stutter free. I guess i have some testing to do this weekend. And maybe then i go back to XP again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom