Public Domain Movie Downloads (1 Viewer)

warped6

Portal Member
chili said:
I stumbled across a nice resource for anyone who loves old movies (like me :) ). Thought I would share the wealth.

http://www.publicdomaintorrents.com

I went downloaded a movie to see how good the quality was and I was pleasntly surprised! I download "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and, although it took a while, it looks good. I left my 17 year old daughter at home watching it. (She's sick and home from school) She was giggling at just how bad it was, the actual movie that is.

I did find another site that has MPEG's you can do a straight download of, it's http://emol.org/movies/index.html

Not sure of the quality of these, I'm just finishing up "Phantom of the Opera". If they look good it might be a good alternative if you don't want to do the bittorret thing.

warped6

Portal Member
chili said:
Thanks for the link. I am getting Hercules now, and will comment on the quality.

I finished Phantom and was a little disappointed. A little too pixallated. I'll try it from the other site too (if they have it).

OK maybe I'm nitpicking about a movie that was made in 1925 but I would hope for a little clearer picture. I'm watching it on my 15.4" wide screen on my laptop and it's fuzzy. I can only thing it would look worse on my 32" LCD at home.

How'd yours turn out?

chili

Portal Pro
September 20, 2004
somewhere in the bowels of Texas
Don't know yet, I started the download from work through vnc.
Are you saving the large file? (Herc. is 800mb) It says streaming on the link.

I have downloaded 5 off the site I mentioned, all have been good quality considering the original source.

warped6

Portal Member
chili said:
Don't know yet, I started the download from work through vnc.
Are you saving the large file? (Herc. is 800mb) It says streaming on the link.

I have downloaded 5 off the site I mentioned, all have been good quality considering the original source.

Phantom has 3 options...64kb modem, 256 kb cable modem, MPEG1. I did the MPEG1. It says that it is 506mb although it's actually a little smaller 494 mb.

OK I see. The Herc page is worded slightly different but same thing.

If the screen captures on the page represent the qualitiy, then that doesn't look very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Yes, unfortunately, this would need a code change to support it. Next time I'm doing something on the plugin I'll try and remember to add support for this sort order.
Yes, unfortunately, this would need a code change to support it. Next time I'm doing something on the plugin I'll try and...
Hi, I was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to help me out. Is there a way to either use the sort feature and/or a...
Replies
Views
Just did an update of my system from Win 7 / MP 1.25 to Win 10 / MP 1.31 on a single seat system and came across a problem with the tv server startup being erratic. Approx 50% of the time on PC reboot from scratch the tv server process was showing "starting" but would never start and consequently neither would MP or MP Server Config...
Just did an update of my system from Win 7 / MP 1.25 to Win 10 / MP 1.31 on a single seat system and came across a problem with the...
Just did an update of my system from Win 7 / MP 1.25 to Win 10 / MP 1.31 on a single seat system and came across a problem with the...
Replies
Views
Good shout! Working when setting the network to private. Windows 7 firewall certainly doesn't behave like it does in Windows 10/11. Saved me a lot of time having to debug the code. Thanks for the tip!
Good shout! Working when setting the network to private. Windows 7 firewall certainly doesn't behave like it does in Windows 10/11...
Hello, I spent a couple of days trying to resolve this issue and cannot figure it out. I have set up MediaPortal Server on an old...
Replies
Views
Multiple Movies in any Single Video File Won't Scrap! All my Drive-In Videos, have multiple movies and won't scrap, it doesn't matter what container they are in. Drive-in - Ads + Short + Movie 1 + Movie2.mp4 It doesn't matter if its Double, Triple or Marathon Feature (Many Movies) scrapers just cant find any art or info. If I cut...
Multiple Movies in any Single Video File Won't Scrap! All my Drive-In Videos, have multiple movies and won't scrap, it doesn't...
I Just noticed that ISO's with two or more Movies, The Scrapers don't index any Graphics or Info if the ISO is named as: Movie...
Replies
Views
Yes correct that would have solved it. I guess I was more interested in finding out what I had done to cause the problem as the error message was of no help. By deleting everything I wouldn't have known so it was a learning curve for future reference. Fully understood I thought that might be the case. I also had some issues with...
Yes correct that would have solved it. I guess I was more interested in finding out what I had done to cause the problem as the...
I've just updated to Win 10 on a second drive and am installing MP 1.31. Having a bit of trouble with the install with the...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom