Q: TVE3 = poorer PQ for (HW)analogue card users? (2 Viewers)

Pe2RM

Portal Member
October 26, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Thanks, i would apriciate that.

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please try the next weekly build.
    I have added support for two other interfaces. Perhaps the PVR350 supports one of these interfaces. I also reactivated the old hauppauge code if the card doesn't support one the new interfaces.

MisterD

kstuken

May 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Does the discussion here also include the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2? I.e. will the implementation of quality controls in the TVE3 also work for that (external) encoder?

It is a Hauppauge hardware encoder, so I would hope it is covered; but e.g. I was not even able to get the GraphEdit workaround (as described on the first page of this thread) to work; just tells me that "the requested property page could not be displayed".

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This new quality control will work if the encoder of the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 supports one of the following interfaces: IVideoEncoder, IEncoderAPI or ICodecAPI.
    Normally at least one of those interfaces should be implemented by the encoder. Therefor the configuration app has a check button and will only enable the configuration when one of these interfaces is available.

@all: When you try latest SVN, please use also Ambass updated TsReader.

MisterD

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    testing analog part

Hi Misterd,
    Thanks for your work on the analog part. If there are specific things you want to have tested, please let me know.
    Is it useful to test the current SVN with the tsreader fix or should we save our test effort for the next svn?
    thanks
    Ruud.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    No problems with latest SVN & the updated TsReader.ax(it actually works wery well here ;) ), so it's a nice update overall.
    & test reports it's always wanted to spot more bugs or fixes working/not working..

Regards
    Roy

Pe2RM

Portal Member
    October 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi MisterD,

Since this SVN (19311) i have noticed that Quality is back as a setting in the schedule menu. I think it is the old Hauppauge quality handler you have reactivated because the TV server log say quality control is not supported.
    Now the TV log says "Hauppauge set video parameters - Max kbps: 8000, Min kbps: 6000, VBR True" which is ok for an analog signal.
    I have tried to use the quality setting in the scheduler for 2 test schedules, one with "constant bitrate portable" and one with VBR Medium & VBR Peak High.
    Both seems to have no effect, the quality field in the scheduler records of the database has both the value 73 as all the schedules have since the SVN, and the resulting recordings are both the same as al other recordings 8Mbps peak, 6Mbps min.
    So it looks in the GUI that I can set the quality of an schedule but the result is the standard quality (which is ok, there is nothing to improve in an analog recording)

This is not an urgent issue, stability of MP more important.

I have the log of the 2 test scheduling & recording attached, including the Hauppauge configuration xml.

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Pe2RM,
    I only have reactivated the old hauppauge code. The quality settings in the GUI are only for those cards who have full quality control support in TVE3. You can set those values, because TVE3 doesn't know when you schedule the recording if the card that will be used has full quality control support in TVE3.
    So this settings are only used when you can set the quality setting in SetupTV for your card.

I found in your log that your card also doesn't support the other two interfaces that we have implemented now
    Code:
    analog: No quality control support found
    It would be possible to use the old hauppauge code for this, but therefore more changes are needed in TVE3. This won't be happen before 1.0 is out.

MisterD

Pe2RM

Portal Member
    October 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for the quick reply MisterD.

Since the default bitrate is now set to a good value (6Mbps, 8Mbps peak), i'am happy with it.

BKCH

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Hi guys - the maximum capabilities of the Hauppauge cards is 12kbps - but at present it seems the max MP will allow us to use is 8.5kbps - does anyone know of a plan to expose the full capabilities of the card to improve the quality of captured video in MP?? (Is there anything I can do to help??)

Alternatively, does anyone know of a workaround to override the new quality controls in TV Server???

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom