RC6 Remote won't work in MP, but works fine in Windows Media Center (2 Viewers)

Mr_Generic

Portal Member
April 30, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I know it's been a year since I last posted. I'm finally getting back to figuring this thing out.

Tonight, I will attempt to:
1 - re-install Kodi
2 - install the MCERemote add-on
3 - uninstall the MCERemote add-on
4 - uninstall Kodi
5 - reboot

6 - install the latest version of Media Portal (which I downloaded yesterday, 23-May-2017)
7 - test to see if the remote works.

My other option is this:
I have an image of my machine using the PING (PartImage is not Ghost) utility that I took before installing Kodi. I could restore that which would get me to a Win7 installation with WMC working, but no history of Kodi being installed.

Do you think this other option is too extreme? or might it be quicker to resolve the issue in the long run?

Thanks again for all your support. I'll keep you posted.
- Bob

Mr_Generic

Portal Member
April 30, 2016
Home Country
Well, I performed the steps above, and I'm still seeing the same behavior with the remote in MP: it doesn't do anything on screen, and it beeps every time I push a button (see beginning of thread from last year for all the details).

I'm tempted to restore an image of the machine prior to installing Kodi (see above) to see if that makes a difference, but before I do that, I have one more question:
I'd like to be able to use an IR remote control with MP. What do people recommend? If my RC6 remote isn't going to work, are there other options available? My google search for Windows Media Center remotes wasn't very successful. I figured I'd ask here to see what people actually have working.

Thanks!
- Bob

BTW - Before I uninstalled the MCERemote Plugin in Kodi, I performed the "Apply Windows default settings to remote" (as outlined in this article: [solved] - (Kodi issue) MCE Remote not working in 1.13pre. Worked fine in 1.12 then I uninstalled the Plugin, and then I uninstalled Kodi.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Bob

If my RC6 remote isn't going to work...
    From my perspective there's no question that your remote can be made to work. It may require changes to MediaPortal and/or your current MediaPortal or Hauppauge IR driver configuration though.

The thing that I'm still not clear about is whether you actually have a MCE-compatible receiver. Worrying about the remote is a side track if the receiver isn't supported.

So you're using the DCR-2650 as the receiver for your remote, right?
    ...and you've installed the required software (as mentioned earlier in the thread), right?
    Do you have a file "irremote.ini" somewhere on your computer (might be in c:\Windows)?

Mr_Generic

Portal Member
    April 30, 2016
    Home Country
    @Stéphane - Thanks for the link for the Inteset PC-IRS5-01 with External IR Receiver Kit. I took a look at it and ordered it on Friday. I'll be installing it tonight. :)

@MM - Thanks for the clarification. After I saw the link from Stéphane, I realized the problem probably isn't with the remote, but with the receiver. Yes, I am using the DCR-2650 as the IR receiver; and I have installed HCWHelper and HID Demo, but I have not installed Advanced MCE Remote Mapper.

If I can get the Inteset working tonight, I may completely stop trying to get the Hauppauge DCR-2650 to work. Unless that's something you'd like to try to resolve. But as mentioned previously in the thread, using the DCR-2650 as an IR receiver seems pretty unconventional.

I'll post tomorrow with the results of the Inteset installation.
    Thanks!
    - Bob

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, I am using the DCR-2650 as the IR receiver
    Okay.

and I have installed HCWHelper and HID Demo, but I have not installed Advanced MCE Remote Mapper.
    That wasn't what I meant. ;)
    I'm asking about software from Hauppauge that you've installed to make the remote work.
    What have you done on that front?

Unless that's something you'd like to try to resolve.
    I would! Very much! :)

But as mentioned previously in the thread, using the DCR-2650 as an IR receiver seems pretty unconventional.
    Only unconventional in the sense that it isn't a standard MCE-compatible receiver "driver stack".
    You may or may not be using the tuner for its ability to tune... but other people certainly will be using it as a tuner, and for them it'd be nice if we had the remote working straight out of the box as well.

Mr_Generic

Portal Member
    April 30, 2016
    Home Country
    Yes, I have installed all the Hauppauge software to make the remote work with the DCR-2650. It works fine in WMC under Windows7.

Regarding getting the DCR-2650 to work with MP, I'm not sure what else to do. I'd be happy to work through it with you, but I may need some guidance. :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, I have installed all the Hauppauge software to make the remote work with the DCR-2650.
    Could you possibly humour me and be a little more specific? :)
    Which software have you installed?
    Can you name it?

Also, my earlier question: did you find irremote.ini anywhere on your system?

Regarding getting the DCR-2650 to work with MP, I'm not sure what else to do. I'd be happy to work through it with you, but I may need some guidance. :)
    For sure! :)
    I'm at work at the moment so I'm limited in what I can actually do. However, answers to the above questions would help me to think up a strategy for what to do when time becomes available.

Mr_Generic

Portal Member
    April 30, 2016
    Home Country
    Could you possibly humour me and be a little more specific? :)
    Which software have you installed?
    Can you name it?

Yes, last year, I downloaded and installed the WinTV-DCR-2650 Installer from Hauppauge's website. I only installed the IR driver "DCR2650IRinstaller.exe" from their installer because I do not need the WinTV application. After I installed it, I was able to get my remote working with Windows Media Center. [NOTE: I just looked at their website and see they have another version out, I'll download that and work with it over the weekend.

Also, my earlier question: did you find irremote.ini anywhere on your system?

Yes, I found that in "c:\windows" as you described. [Sorry, forgot to mention that earlier.]

I will be unavailable for the next 6 hours, so I probably won't have a chance to respond until tomorrow.

I appreciate all the help you guys have been providing, so I'd love to return the favor and give you any information I can regarding the Hauppauge setup.

Cheers!
    - Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom