MP2 - V2.1 Recordings don't show up in MediaPortal 2.1 Final Client (or Server) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGrymReaper

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think there may be a bug in the MediaPortal 2.1 client or server software in regards to the completed or in progress recordings. Currently though the recordings are made as scheduled by the server using one of the available tuner(s). In addition to being removed (if applicable) from the scheduled list it doesn't show up under recordings you only get an empty list. When being viewed via MediaPortal 2 client software.

I scheduled the following programs to be recorded (all of the channels are available on UK Freeview):-
    • Counter Measures on movies4men
    • Homes Under the Hammer on BBC1
    • Last Chance Café on Sony Movie Channel
    • Love, Again on Channel 5
    • Now You See Me on Film4
    • Out of Reach on Sony Movie Channel
    • Pistol Whipped - Sony Movie Channel
    • Speed on Film4
    • The General's Daughter on Sony Movie Channel
    • The Terrorist Next Door on Sony Movie Channel
    • NCIS - An Eye for an Eye on CBS Action
    • NCIS - Pop Life on CBS Action
    • NCIS - Rule Fifty-One on CBS Action
    • NCIS: Los Angeles - Little Angels
    • NCIS: Los Angeles - Standoff
    All of these were successfully recorded and show up in my destination recordings storage folder however they aren't displayed in the appropriate areas of the client software. It doesn't show up on the home screen where recent media additions are listed or on the TV Recordings screen. There should be all of the above listed to choose from however there are none.

Steps to reproduce:-

1. Setup the MediaPortal 2.1 software (installation and configuration)
    2. Schedule a set of recordings similar to above (or some other set)
    3. Quit the MediaPortal 2.1 client software
    4. Wait for the recordings to start
    5. Start the MediaPortal 2 TV Configuration software
    6. Access "Schedules" for scheduled recordings
    7. Check scheduled recordings list
    8. Access "Manual Control" (or "Test Channels") for recordings status
    9. Check the status of the cards during the recordings, the file size and scheduled listing status
    10. Once recordings have completed check the scheduled status matches what you scheduled and expect
    11. Close MediaPortal 2 TV Configuration software
    12. Restart the MediaPortal 2.1 client software
    13. Check the home screen recordings listings
    14. Go to the TV Recordings screen and check the listings there
    15. Check for the recordings in the appropriate storage folder(s)
    After following these steps you should hopefully be able to reproduce this issue currently afflicting the final release of MediaPortal 2.1. I have also attached an upload of the logs to aid in debugging.

Last edited:

MrGrymReaper

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Checked logs found that recordings were not setup as media source. May be worth synchronising or offering option of some way of automating its addition.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,
    Checked logs found that recordings were not setup as media source. May be worth synchronising or offering option of some way of automating its addition.
    The source "Recodings" is automatically added as soon as you open the TV Configuration and define the recording folder.

Additionally it is necessary that you enter server credentials in the setting section of MP 2.1. Without credentials the client is not capable of communicating with the server. Please keep in mind that the server process is operating under a different user context than the user who is logged in and is uising the Client app.

D P Graves

Portal Member
    March 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    What settings are you referring to? I looked at everything and tried changing settings but recordings showed up sporadically until I set up MSLoopback. Most of the time 'Media Sources' just said "importing" and nothing happened.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What settings are you referring to?
    Settings / Server Settings / Network credentials

You need to enter a user/password combination that allows read access to the server share(s). Note that at this time you may only use one single username/password combination, so every share/computer needs to have respective access rights in place.

D P Graves

Portal Member
    March 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Are you talking about the MP2 server as the server share? I have client and server on one box so is that my Windows 10 login?

What I did was set up an account on my NAS and used the id and password for MP2 so that it could access the NAS. Did I misunderstand what 'Network Credentials' is for?

Things works fine now. I can access my files on the NAS but I had problems accessing anything before I set up MSloopback.

I do have a problem with video playback stuttering regardless of the codec used that might be related?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are you talking about the MP2 server as the server share? I have client and server on one box so is that my Windows 10 login?
    This is a common misunderstanding. Your Windows 10 login is independent from your server access. The latter is a question of access over the network. You may use the same name, e.g. USER1 as your local Windows 10 account, but you don't need to. The only thing to keep in mind is that each of your shares that you added to MP2 has read (and for recordings also write) access for the same user account, e.g. USER2.

id and password for MP2
    MP2 has no id and password ;)

Did I misunderstand what 'Network Credentials' is for?
    Probably. The 'Network Credentials' would be the above-mentioned USER2/Pass2. Note that instead USER2 you may also use USER1/Pass1. Let me explain this a little bit in more detail. Whenever MP2 tries to access a share, it can do so with different credentials than the ones you are logged in on the client. So if you booted Windows 10 and then logged in as USER1/Pass1, you will be able to use Windows and call up the MP2 client app. Now you (wrongly) assume that the server will call the shares/files using the same credentials. The server is operating under a different user context and therefore requires entering credentials. If client and serve are on the same PC, entering USER1/Pass1 as Network Credentials should work.

I can access my files on the NAS but I had problems accessing anything before I set up MSloopback.
    You are actually applying a cure to a self-created disease ;). The loopback adapter redirects packages that are sent to an IP to the local PC. If things don't work without it, it is a clear sign that your network setup is faulty.

I do have a problem with video playback stuttering regardless of the codec used that might be related?
    Possibly. Packages that are sent from a loopback address to an existing network can create trouble. I would recommend that you deactivate the loopback adapter and try to repair your network environment. Windows 10 offers tools to verify and repair the network.

D P Graves

Portal Member
    March 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Thanks for the help.

My Windows 10 login and login details for the NAS are the same (keep it simple) and have been since I installed MP2. So, I am confused as to why MP2 had problems accessing the recordings on the same PC given what you said and what I set up. To be clear my Win10 login is User1/Pass1 and the login to my NAS is User1/pass1 and my recordings folder is on the same PC as MP2.

I am wondering if there is something strange with my network. I'll investigate but may be back. ;-)

Thanks again.
    Darren.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom