Reduce storage size of 'thumbs' folder (MovPic + TVSeries) (1 Viewer)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Ran this on my media box and now browsing my movies list is very much noticeably FASTER... Instead of it trying to load a massive 6mb file it only loads something very smaller and very quickly.

This has saved me a heap of room as well considering i have over 700 movies and TV Shows, so at least a couple gig, wish i had found this earlier.

Thanks, and hopefully next versions of Moving pictures will not use such over sized and not needed files or attempt to render them smaller.

Yes, the SVN already contains many fixes, so you can compile that one yourself if you are not patient enough to wait :D

Since this thread might get burried into the forum again and hard for people to find, I will add it into the FAQ until the problem is fixed in the next beta/stable release.

TheBiGW

Portal Member
    October 1, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just want to add my voice to the others who have said thanks and to say that it has massively improved the speed at which my machine is able to browse TV and movies via moving pictures. I've got an Asrock ION 330 and it is very much limited by I/O. CPU/RAM/Network is fine. Reducing the amount of I/O the drive has to do when navigating movie and tv shows has significantly improved the experience. Looking forward to the day when this change can be integrated into the trunk and is done as default.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Just want to add my voice to the others who have said thanks and to say that it has massively improved the speed at which my machine is able to browse TV and movies via moving pictures. I've got an Asrock ION 330 and it is very much limited by I/O. CPU/RAM/Network is fine. Reducing the amount of I/O the drive has to do when navigating movie and tv shows has significantly improved the experience. Looking forward to the day when this change can be integrated into the trunk and is done as default.

:D for the thanks, it's always nice to be reminded that even small contributions like this help make things easier for somebody else out there as well.

Releasing a new open beta is a tough call, because some users still expect some stability. If 10 problems are fixed, such as Blu-Ray playback and this large image problem, but a user never encountered those as a problem, then they are going to be upset if a new problem got introduced on something that they do use.

If you are impatient enough, and you see that your main aggrivations have been fixed, you can use the Wiki and Google Code sites to get the help needed to setup your own developer environment that you can use to build your own version from code.

The current beta2 is v1.0.1:1001, which is marked in the source repository @ Moving Pictures Revision #1002 (it is actually 1001 of course, but you can scan the overview list easier by looking for "Tag for xxxx release" subject)

Right now 37 new changes (not all are fixes) have already been made, and currently the source is at revision 1039. An easy overview can be viewed via: Moving Pictures Revision Overview

hanfmaster

Portal Pro
    January 25, 2006
    graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    hi

how do i know that this thumbs reduce .cmd is running?
    and when it is done.
    i just get a command screen and than it closes in less than a second.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    hi

how do i know that this thumbs reduce .cmd is running?
    and when it is done.
    i just get a command screen and than it closes in less than a second.

Did it generate the log file? Or are you trying to start the CMD file without the XnView software in the same folder? It requires "nconvert.exe" to work, as explained in the install instructions in first post.

hanfmaster

Portal Pro
    January 25, 2006
    graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i got a nconvert folder and in this folder there is a folder called XnView
    so i now tried putting !mediaportal fix thumbs.cmd! in both folders , but i got no log file in neither of them.

so i looked in the tast manager to see if somthing is using the cpu, but nada...

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    i got a nconvert folder and in this folder there is a folder called XnView
    so i now tried putting !mediaportal fix thumbs.cmd! in both folders , but i got no log file in neither of them.

so i looked in the tast manager to see if somthing is using the cpu, but nada...

Download the ZIP file from first post, extract it, and you should have an 'nconvert.exe' file along with a bunch of text files. Place the CMD file in this same folder and it should work.

The only other explanation I got is that you have some weird custom paths that mess the script up, just edit the CMD file with notepad to correct that manually then.

And upon looking at my script, I see that I totally forgot to include a pause/delay after showing the error message (my bad).

Read this for what to adjust: Paste2: Next Generation Pastebin - Viewing Paste 676576

After dinner I will fix the batch file to properly pause/delay after showing the error and update the first post.

hanfmaster

Portal Pro
    January 25, 2006
    graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    good morning... i got a good night sleep so here is the full story

i use winXP pro GERMAN OS + mediaportal 1.1 beta on my htpc in server/client mode
    i installed the new MP-TVSeries-2.5.0.924.exe
    and after reboot mediaportal took over 30min by loadingscreen by "caching graphics"
    so i looked in the forum and got to this thread.

in the cmd:
    ----------------------------------------------------
    SET ThumbFolder=%ProgramData%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal
    IF EXIST "%ThumbFolder%\MediaPortal.xml" GOTO ProcessThumbs

SET ThumbFolder=%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal
    -----------------------------------------------------

i had to change it to
    ----------------------------------------------------
    SET ThumbFolder=C:\Programme\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal

SET ThumbFolder=C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal
    ------------------------------------------------------

and now the .cmd is running :)

thx RoChess

PS: i like the now look of Tv-series with the big pic of the show i just picked on the left side, the small ones were a pain for my eyes :)

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

this is not working for me. The log keeps saying 'could not be processed. Try fixing it manually', and the cmd window says 'Error: Can't create file <C:\DOCUME~1\Zalman\LOCALS~1\Temp\MovPic.png>'. I'm using WinXP 32bit, MediaPortal and everything is installed in default folders. Practically everything is 'oversized' and I would like to be able to use this app to reduce.
    Does anybody have any ideas?? :confused:

Attachments

• error.JPG
      error.JPG
      69.4 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hi,

this is not working for me. The log keeps saying 'could not be processed. Try fixing it manually', and the cmd window says 'Error: Can't create file <C:\DOCUME~1\Zalman\LOCALS~1\Temp\MovPic.png>'.

Run the Windows tool All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup

to clean out all your temporary files.

And run a pre-boot chkdsk scan on your harddisk (you can schedule them when disk is in use). I've seen this problem before when there was a problem on the HDD index.

Go to that "C:\DOCUME~1\Zalman\LOCALS~1\Temp\" folder manually otherwise, it should normally be empty, perhaps problem reveals itself easier then, but the above methods with Disk Cleanup and a chkdsk pre-boot scan might be all u need.

Forced Pre-Boot chkdsk = Start -> Run -> chkdsk c: /f /x [enter]

Then you will get the following message:

Code:
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Select 'Y' and reboot your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom