Renaming files with Moving Pictures (1 Viewer)

cooper2k4

Portal Pro
February 2, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
I think most of us have at some time had the idea of renaming all movies with nice looking filenames. The idea is simple but the solution took me nearly 2 years. I tried several file renamers found on the web, but none really satisfied me. The main problem was that you have to search and approve all movies again, even if you have them already in the Moving Pictures database. The provided interfaces weren't good and too elaborate to use.

The approach to use the Moving Pictures database which already contains all required information was the most obvious solution to me. Therefore I had some faith in jmcentire's apps that worked to some point.
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/moving-pictures-284/app-copy-artwork-details-movie-folder-71649/
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ame-folders-based-info-moving-pictures-76187/

kyleh0000 picked up the idea and created his own app which unfortunately did not work for me.
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...your-media-now-tv-support-14-01-2011-a-89199/

Since version 1.1.0 Moving Pictures has the ability to rename files. So we don't need third party tools anymore.
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...tures-1-1-stable-follw-website-support-92994/
Issue 230 - moving-pictures - Rename movies according to their database-entry - Project Hosting on Google Code

In your Moving Pictures Movie Manager click on 'Advanced Tools'->Rename to rename one or more movie files. Simply select the movies in the list prior to rename.

attachment.php

The rename pattern is specified in About->'Advanced Settings'. You can put there for example:
Code:
${movie.title} (${movie.year}) [${movie.imdb_id}]${moviepart}

This will produce a file as follows that can easily be reimported in Moving Pictures or used with XBMC or WDTV.
Code:
2012 (2009) [tt1190080].mkv

attachment.php

Before Moving Pictures starts renaming any files you get a confirmation dialog with a preview of the changes and some additional options in the top right corner.

attachment.php

Renaming also supports directories and even secondary files like .nfo or .srt, etc. The original filename is saved in the MP database and you can undo any changes later.

I hope you find this useful.

Thorsten

Attachments

• File_Renamer.png
    File_Renamer.png
    341.1 KB
  • File_Renamer_Settings.png
    File_Renamer_Settings.png
    47 KB
  • File_Renamer_Confirmation.png
    File_Renamer_Confirmation.png
    86.1 KB

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Here is a handy script also to help out with the info above

If you do not have all your movies in a folder of there own then you might want to run this before the above

You place this in the folder with all your movies and then double click it and it will create a folder for each file named the same as the file and place it in that folder.

You will have to extract the file since the site wont allow .bat files

Attachments

• createfolder.rar
      153 bytes

MadMagpie

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2007
    Home Country
    two questions about the rename function:
    is there a way to batch rename files?

and when renaming multiple disk files like *** cd1.avi it wants to change them to part 1 instead of cd1, is there a way make it rename cd1 instead?

thanks for any help.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hold shift or control down when selecting movies in the Movie Manager to do a bulk rename. If you want to alter the rename pattern you can adjust it under Advanced Settings, accessible via the About tab. Rename settings are near the bottom. There are actually three patterns, one for files, one for the multipart section of a filename (i.e. "CD1" vs. "Part 1") and one for directories.

Hope this helps.

MaxMan23

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Renaming files with Moving Pictures

Is it possible to add a feature: "Delete Secondary Files". I want to have only the Movie in a Folder. If MP has detected a movie, these files are no longer needed.

kabsoft

June 5, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    N00b here, had a good look around but can't seem to find a list of fields/tags I can use in a rename pattern. Presumably the 'file detail' fields like video resolution are also available? My best shot was ${file[0].video_resolution} but that wasn't recognised. Anyone got a full list?

ejvdh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Recently used this command for the first time. Had all my movies renamed as per the above example and re-imported all. Most were auto-approved, but still many which didn't even come up with a possible match, including movies named 'Deep Blue Sea (1999) [tt0149261]' and 'Big Fish (2003) [tt0319061]'. One would think that if the imdb-id is included there shouldn't be any dispute as to what movie is meant? Is there another setting I'm overlooking?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Recently used this command for the first time. Had all my movies renamed as per the above example and re-imported all. Most were auto-approved, but still many which didn't even come up with a possible match, including movies named 'Deep Blue Sea (1999) [tt0149261]' and 'Big Fish (2003) [tt0319061]'. One would think that if the imdb-id is included there shouldn't be any dispute as to what movie is meant? Is there another setting I'm overlooking?

MovPic config -> About -> Advanced Settings

Only Auto Approve from Primary Data Source = True​

If that is already set to 'true' and it didn't work, then you can adjust the following setting:

Data Provider Request Limit = 1 (a value of -1 might yield better results in some cases)​

However if all your movies have an IMDb tt-ID like that and you use a scraper that can work with that, such as default IMDb or IMDb+ scraper-scripts, then the easiest way is to simply disable all the other scraper-scripts, so you are left with just one.

The other option is to adjust the approval slider all the way to the right to 'reckless', this will result in almost no manual approval request as well.

Let me know if you are using IMDb+ scraper, because I made a lot of enhancements to it to limit the amount of manual approvals required in search-node as well with that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom