Return WEATHER OUTLOOK back to MediaPortal as default (1 Viewer)

Do you need weather information as standard

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Should be nice to have it back in the standard installation as it was before, btw the new default view looks great..newcomer of 2006 ;)

LOL, only 2006 still learning then ;)

Put this in the newcomers forum to get as broad a feedback as possible, including new expectations of what MP should do as standard.

plus the notice helps get everyone's attention :p

llambion

Portal Pro
    January 20, 2009
    Oviedo
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    It's not necessary for me but It's helpful. When the weather plugins stopped to word, i installed a 3rd party plugins.

johanj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I agree with what several already have written, please keep this separate plugins.
    -Weather sites are seldom stable with their feeds, something change in their API and a updated MediaPortal need to be released.
    -I don't think that you will find a single weather source that give good enough information for all countries around the globe. A plugin that is included with MP should then support several weather sources, i.e. all the different weather sources that the current plugins support today.

m0t0k0

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2010
    Bicester
    Home Country
    I'm happy to have it as a separate plugin

I think putting more time a resource into killer features like MPEM will enhance MePo much more

If you guys can make MPEM work it would negate the difficulty of getting plugins for a newbie anyway

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I use and love World Weather but it can be a bit complicated to setup, with a lot of reading required, so if a basic Weather plugin could be included with MP that was very easy to configure, I think that would be good and then users who want more can look at World Weather.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    I'm using BBC Weather with 1.3Beta (copy Avalon skin files in Titan - 99.9% perfect) but I'd still like to see a default weather plugin as I'm sure would many others.

Cheers - J.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Just to be clear, this project will be done by Micropolis who very kindly offered us a "easy setup" version of worldweather without the bells and whistles, but should have ip lookup for your locality, or manual city\town name search within the GUI as a backup, using different providers and will be kept outside the MediaPortal releases.

This of course is easily upgradeable to the fullblown WorldWeather plugin, if a user likes the more advanced features.

Added to 1st post.

Last edited:

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    -I don't think that you will find a single weather source that give good enough information for all countries around the globe. A plugin that is included with MP should then support several weather sources, i.e. all the different weather sources that the current plugins support today.

Therefore we plan to integrated not only one weather provider but at least 3/4. It will be similar to the WorldWeather plugin but just with an easy and fast config. (hopefully autodetecting of your position ;))

It is not intended to "shut down" weather plugins. You still can use them and WorldWeather plugin also will be available. :)

Last edited:

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    WorldWeather by Micropolis is a fabulous plugin, and would be my choice for inclusion as "standard" in MP. As many have stated, a choice of providers is important, and WW provides this. I don't quite understand why it should be "core", since I thought the idea was to reduce the core to the minimum and delegate as much as possible to plugins. I do like the idea of a standard plugin. If Micropolis is willing to make a "QuickStart" version of WW for this purpose, let's go for it! It seems a bit like the current situation with PowerScheduler (the standard plugin) and PS++ (the more capable version, which can be installed optionally).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom