Ripping DVD's & CDs (1 Viewer)

voxmortis

Portal Member
May 19, 2005
Sydney, Straya.
Fair nuff.

So, we lobby for a MyDVDShrink plug-in... unless I'm behind the times, ripping a DVD to Divx etc, you lose the point of a DVD, menus, languages, subtitles and the extras have to be ripped too.

I prefer to rip to [removed by mPod], you get DVD navigation still and it's shrunk to 4.7GB, just right for burning that back-up when the cat eats your DVD.

In these forums somewhere is a workaround for ripping CDs by having media player open in your tray and setting autorun etc - search for it, and ye shall find.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Guys, please talk about what you want, but please don't mention illegal software here. We're running into trouble at least in Europe, otherwise.
Please understand that. Thanks.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
voxmortis said:
Isn't ironic that the advert on the bottom of the screen when I read mPod's reply was from 'BackUpAnyDVD.com'!
Really? Yeah, that's ironic, indeed. I blocked all that crap, so I never see the adverts. But in that context, it's really funny, indeed... :lol:
Fortunately, we got no influence on those adverts. Don't ask me, I don't know anything about them anyway... :wink:

mowog

Portal Member
April 11, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
vbap said:
Would be good, if a new CD inserted, that it rips it according to WMP settings. Maybe this is a feature request?

*bump*

I'd second that and make it a feature request. I set up my HTPC to do all of this stuff.. not just play my music and video collection but also to rip my CD collection too. Since my HTPC is a *true* HTPC, I never have a keyboard, mouse or monitor hooked up to it -- just my remote and TV. MediaPortal is the *only* user interface to the machine.

A MediaPortal plugin to automate ripping of CDs (using WMP or otherwise) when they're inserted would be simply *awesome*.

Cheers,

irrotational

Portal Member
May 17, 2005
I started looking into this - there is the Lame codec which is command line for windows and would rip to MP3.

However you need to put code around the outside to run it for each track on the audio CD and generate the track, title, artist and filename etc...

I have no idea how you do this. I've done a bit of fortran and VB coding but i still have no idea how you actually get windows to do things...

http://lame.sourceforge.net/

you have to search a bit to get an actual .exe file that will run in windows as the above site only hosts source code...

i think this site has it:-

http://www.free-codecs.com/Lame_Encoder_download.htm

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi,

Im pretty new to Media Portal, and im also interested in CD ripping(and DVD ripping but that one is a bit tougher).

I looked at previously mentioned MP3 and ripping C# code, and most of the work has already been done. The hardest part is probably to contact a CDDB server and get track info, and maybe tagging the files.

However, i thought there might be another way. WMP can be used embedded in various ways, and according to this:
    http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmplay10/mmp_sdk/rippingacd.asp
    It is possible to get WMP to automaticly do its ripping routine.

There are some cons to this, as it is most likely necessary to set the encoding settings manually in WMP, but on the other hand WMP has the nice feature, which is really like, that it automaticly finds CD covers and stores them in the folder so that Media Portal can display them.

The biggest problem is that it seems to require an understanding of COM programming in C/C++. I dont mind C++, but i know nothing about COM programming, however im looking into it.

Finally it would be necessary to signal a refresh to the music library/database in Media Portal, and i dont know if that is possible?

Users who are viewing this thread