Ripping HD/BlueRay DVDs (1 Viewer)

Baboonanza

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2010
    North London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Or you could just use MakeMKV to go straight from BD to MKV. It will split the disc into the correct features/titles too.

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    ok guys/girls.... i'm ready for HD content media.. i've got everything else taken care of...

i would like your opinions...
    2: Should i rip to mkv or H.264

Question doesn't make sense, mkv is a container h264 is a video codec/compression
    so mkv could contain h264 or xvid or mpeg2 etc..
    I think Mkv is the best container and H264 is the best compression method

So the answer is both =)

PS. I recommend handbrake (freeware) for encoding video/audio, it is the best!

Agree with this. I am using AnyDVD HD to rip the bluray to Hard Drive, and then use either Handbrake or Ripbot to make my .mkv container with H264 compression and lossless audio. Sure, it takes a while, but I get acceptable sized .mkv files, with good audio, that work in Moving Pictures.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I also recently installed avidemux (freeware) because handbrake didn't like compressing the movies from my ixus digital camera. It seems like pretty good software, and has the advantage of some editing abilities, if you want to cut bits out of the video. I'd still recommend handbrake first if you want high quality rip with really good compression.

KDP

Portal Member
    May 23, 2010
    Personally I have AnyDVD HD installed and I use EAC3TO to demux the video from the movie untouched and I can either extract the audio stream untouched or convert it to FLAC. I use BDSup2Jar to convert the forced subs (subtitles for non english speaking) and then mux it all with MKVMerge. You can use GUI's like Another EAC3To GUI, etc to make it a one shot process, but all this gives me a 1:1 copy of the movie, choice audio track, chapters and subs if needed.

A good tutorial can be found here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom