Ripping HD/BlueRay DVDs (1 Viewer)

Drewsta

Portal Member
May 5, 2010
I use a combination of DVDFAB to create single M2TS file i can drag to the HTPC and if that has problems with keys, ANYDVD-HD with tsmuxer.

Now that im using using Mediaportal (ditched the ps3 streaming) i can keep the loss-less audio which i can now play fine (HTPC ->AMP->HD TV).

Also thanks to the latest nightly build version of VLC Player, PGS subtitles also work in M2TS files.

So between CCCP Codec pack, VLC and my Move to Mediaportal - i am now done, done and DONE. I can play "Everything".

I love it when shit just works ;)

VLC PGS supported build:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/testing/vlc-1.1.0-pre4/win32/vlc-1.1.0-pre4-win32.exe

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ok guys/girls.... i'm ready for HD content media.. i've got everything else taken care of...

i would like your opinions...
    2: Should i rip to mkv or H.264

Question doesn't make sense, mkv is a container h264 is a video codec/compression
    so mkv could contain h264 or xvid or mpeg2 etc..
    I think Mkv is the best container and H264 is the best compression method

So the answer is both =)

PS. I recommend handbrake (freeware) for encoding video/audio, it is the best!

Baboonanza

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2010
    North London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I now use MakeMKV exclusively. I only want the feature files at full quality and I like the simplicity of MakeMKV.

I'm working on an MP integration plugin for MakeMKV at the moment. I've already got it prototyped as a stand-alone programme/wrapper (with IMDB scraping for titles :) ), I just need to convert it to a plugin and it's good to go.

ToXIc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2009
    Home Country
    I now use MakeMKV exclusively. I only want the feature files at full quality and I like the simplicity of MakeMKV.

I'm working on an MP integration plugin for MakeMKV at the moment. I've already got it prototyped as a stand-alone programme/wrapper (with IMDB scraping for titles :) ), I just need to convert it to a plugin and it's good to go.

sweet cant wait...... makeMKV have come a long way... and i also use it exclusively... no more need for external programs.

ascencao

August 28, 2009
    Hello, I use MP with external video player TOTALMEDIA THEATRE 3 and play ripped movie DVD without problem but...
    I CAN'T PLAY RIPPED BLU-RAY.

I use AnyDVD HD to rip my movies (DVD or Blu-ray) and creating at HD PC:
    -for DVD one folder "MOVIE NAME" with two sub-folders AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
    -for Blu-ray one folder "MOVIE NAME" with two sub-folders BDMV and CERTIFICFATE with a lot of sub-folders containing .m2ts files

If I play directly from TOTALMEDIA THEATRE 3 any movie (DVD or Blu-ray) it works without problem.

Can anybody help me with this situation?

:D

Drewsta

Portal Member
    May 5, 2010
    Hey, So u use anydvd HD to to override the copy protection but what do you use to rip the bluray? Anyways let's say you have ripped the bluray, you browse to the stream folder,locate to largest file which will be the move (20+ gig), when you try to play it from your hdd with software media player what actually happens? note: for playback of m2ts files that contain PGS subtitles I use VLC 1.1 which supports PGS subtitles.

ascencao

August 28, 2009
    Hey, So u use anydvd HD to to override the copy protection but what do you use to rip the bluray? Anyways let's say you have ripped the bluray, you browse to the stream folder,locate to largest file which will be the move (20+ gig), when you try to play it from your hdd with software media player what actually happens? note: for playback of m2ts files that contain PGS subtitles I use VLC 1.1 which supports PGS subtitles.

I play the ripped folder at hdd with TOTALMEDIA THEATRE 3 and see with blu-ray quality the complete movie (menus, settings,...), the problem is when I try to play the same folder with same software as a external player of Media Portal ( the files .m2ts are not recognised).

In meantime I have a workinhg solution with another software (Mymovies with TOTALMEDIA THEATRE 3) works WELL !!
    Play ripped (or not) DVD and Blu-ray movies.
    :):D

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yo...

Ive been ripping blu-rays for a while now and have some options for people.

Firstly u need AnyDVD HD to decrypt and RIP(right-click the icon) a BD disc to your HDD ( can be up to 50G of data )...i rip to HDD to make the encoding process faster afterwards...also the conversion apps sometimes crash and wow..thats annoying! Best to put it all to HDD 1st!

At this point u may have a big 30gig M2TS file or lots of little M2TS files. This is just the way the movies are authored originally. I like the big files as u can just move them about. On the other hand u may get unlucky and have lots of little files ( hhnnnggg!! ). The big M2TS file works straight away with Mediaportal ( horay! ). Get CoreAVC 2.0 ( for video h264 ) and ffdshow for audio ( theres a great version i have listed below or in my signature) or the MPC - MA audio decoder which comes with MP ( i use this ). Anyway...here we go..

Now you have several options...

TSMuxerGUI 1.10.6 ( is the version i use ) is great! With this I can take a single M2TS file and do lots to it! I can reencode the movie part only of a blu-ray( ie. just the largest m2ts file ), and by selecting the "Blu-Ray" output option u end up with a blu-ray authored set of files u can now burn to a blank blu-ray disc. It simply has the movie and no menus. U can also remove the subtitles/extra audio languages if u want, which means the movie will need to be less downconverted and preserve more quality. The DTS-HD / TrueHD audio tracks can be downconverted to DTS/AC3 if your amp does not support the new audio formats. TSMuxerGUI can also be used to convert Mediaportal's TV Recordings to Blu-ray format/ts/m2ts! Gotta love that! If you have a BD movie with lots of parts ( the movie has lots of M2TS files that together make up the entire movie ) then i use BD Rebuilder.

BD Rebuilder ( BD-RBV03404 is the version ) is the other application i use. With BD rebuilder u can do the same thing as TSMuxerGUI, only a bit better! BD rebuilder will take all the files from a BD folder. So first rip the BD to your HDD then select the input as the folder containing the BDMV and CERTIFICATE directories. BD Rebuilder is the modern day DVD Shrink! It can reduce the size of an entire BD disc down to 25G to be burned on a single layer BD disc. U can remove menus, subtitles and extra audio languages. Take note this takes MANY hours to reencode to a SMALLER size 25+gig --> 25gig...4 hours sometimes for me. Theres also an option for downconverting as far as to BD-5 and BD-9 ( u are actually burning to a DVD single layer/dual layer disc in blu ray format - ONLY playable on a blu-ray player! ). It requires some other apps like AVISYNTH 2.57 or above, ffdshow ( ffdshow_rev3326_20100319_clsid is the version recommended ) and MatroskaSplitter. If u just want the outputted joined TS file, it can be found under *outputdirectory/BDMV/STREAM/ and find the 0000.m2ts. Imgburn is natively supported by BD Rebuilder with an automated option to burn an authored BD disc when reencoding is completed.

Imgburn will burn your BD discs. Theres a few settings needed to burn BD discs playable as an actual BD disc ( like in a BD player/PS3 ). The 1st option is "Burn Files/Folders to Disc". Click the "Option" Tab on the right side of the screen, choose "Mode1/2048", File System "UDF", UDF Revision "2.50". Now your ready to burn a compatible BD disc. Add ( with the + ), the BDMV and CERTIFICATE directories. Type in the "Labels" Tab if you like. Theres a calculator icon, if u click it it will show u how much of the BD will be used when burning to it. Put your blank BD disc in the drive and click Build (burn). Once these options are set in Imgburn, BD Rebuilder will remember and use them directly.

So u can rip directly from AnyDVD HD to a single M2TS file, playable in MP. If the movie takes up several M2TS files u can use BD Rebuilder to join them together as a single file, playable in MP. If you like playing with the blu-ray format itself, with or without menus, BR Rebuilder with Imgburn will do this.

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom