Ripping HD/BlueRay DVDs (2 Viewers)

S_Behn

Portal Pro
September 12, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
No i am not using HD audio formats, my audio receiver is not capable of decoding it, only AC3 and DTS. Second, i didnt know about a tool named BDInfo. Because when i activate AnyDVD i still dont see any files at the BluRay.

Regards

bart0190

Portal Pro
January 17, 2009
yeah. Here the same.
I allways get an error that windows can not read the structure - thus, the tools can not see the files.

I'm using
Windows XP, SP3.
MP1.0.2
SAF 4.0 beta9

2.)
However, I tried the TsMuxer (from ripped BR files on Harddisk), but the resulting .ts file could not be read in MP. :(

3.)
I also had an issue yesterday when using BR/HDextractor - I could only see the first 3 tracks and not all of them.
Did you also have this issue?

4.)
Got a stuttering in Video using BR/HDExtractor, mkvmerge on one of these above mentioned tracks after end of the process. Maybe it has something to do with this problem (3).
I will check the video only to see if it comes from the extractor or from mkvmerge.

b.r.
bart

sgatke

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I am ripping my BluRay discs using a combination of AnyDvdHD and Clown BD.
    Clown BD creates an ISO, which I can mount using Daemon Tools and then play using PowerDvd 8 (which came with my BluRay drive).

However, I would love to be able to play the ISO's using MediaPortal. I know this is only possible using a 3rd-party programme. I just can't figure out how to do this - preferably in a girlfriend-acceptable way :)
    What I would love, is to browse my movie collection from inside MediaPortal, find the movie (ISO-file) I want to watch, click it, and the MediaPortal should automagically launch my external viewer (PowerDVD?), play the movie, and nicely return back to MediaPortal once the movie ends.

Is this possible?

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am ripping my BluRay discs using a combination of AnyDvdHD and Clown BD.
    Clown BD creates an ISO, which I can mount using Daemon Tools and then play using PowerDvd 8 (which came with my BluRay drive).

However, I would love to be able to play the ISO's using MediaPortal. I know this is only possible using a 3rd-party programme. I just can't figure out how to do this - preferably in a girlfriend-acceptable way :)
    What I would love, is to browse my movie collection from inside MediaPortal, find the movie (ISO-file) I want to watch, click it, and the MediaPortal should automagically launch my external viewer (PowerDVD?), play the movie, and nicely return back to MediaPortal once the movie ends.

Is this possible?

Yep this is possible, and you can play them natively within MP.

-Download and install Deamon Tools Lite.
    -Go to MP Config->General Settings->Virtual Drive & configure the DT Lite you just installed. (Check the MP Wiki for more info on Virtual Drives)
    -Under Video Options->Video Extensions add .m2ts to the list.
    -I use Moving Pictures to manage all my movies, it recognizes the .iso files. (you can find more info if you search the forums for Moving Pictures)

Good Luck!
    Wile E.

sgatke

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Wile E.
    I have already done everything you said - except installing Moving Pictures.
    Is there anything special in Moving Pictures that will allow BluRay playback? I tried reading about Moving Pictures, but I don't see anywhere that it supports BluRay playback...
    It does however, look like a very nice utility, so I might give it a shot, even though it won't help my BluRay problem :)

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Wile E.
    I have already done everything you said - except installing Moving Pictures.
    Is there anything special in Moving Pictures that will allow BluRay playback? I tried reading about Moving Pictures, but I don't see anywhere that it supports BluRay playback...
    It does however, look like a very nice utility, so I might give it a shot, even though it won't help my BluRay problem :)

Hey sgatke,
    I guess I made an assumption there... Do you rip the entire BD, or do you just strip out the movie video, audio & subtitles? If you rip the entire BD, then you are correct, MP will not be able to natively playback your iso's.

Either way, Moving Pictures is worth the effort. You can configure an external player within Moving Pictures so you can at least lunch your BD movies in your favorite player...

sgatke

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thank you for your help Wile E. - it is much appreciated.

When ripping my BluRays, I use AnyDvdHD and Clown BD.
    I only rip the main movie (including sound and subtitles).

When I mount the ISO on a computer with PowerDVD installed, the movie starts playing directly - with no menus or any extra material at all. I can, however, switch between subtitles (I usually rip Danish and English subtitles) or turn them off completely.

Are you telling me Moving Pictures could help me play back the rips inside MediaPortal? If that is true, you are definitely going into my "Book of MediaPortal Heroes" :)

I will make a complete backup of my MediaPortal computer and then give moving Pictures a shot.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Thank you for your help Wile E. - it is much appreciated.

When ripping my BluRays, I use AnyDvdHD and Clown BD.
    I only rip the main movie (including sound and subtitles).

When I mount the ISO on a computer with PowerDVD installed, the movie starts playing directly - with no menus or any extra material at all. I can, however, switch between subtitles (I usually rip Danish and English subtitles) or turn them off completely.

Are you telling me Moving Pictures could help me play back the rips inside MediaPortal? If that is true, you are definitely going into my "Book of MediaPortal Heroes" :)

I will make a complete backup of my MediaPortal computer and then give moving Pictures a shot.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Yep, Moving Pictures will recognize the ISO files and add them to the library. Since you used AnyDVD HD it removes all the copyright protection, and since you are only pulling the main movie files (Video, Audio & Subtitles) it will play natively within MP. Again, just be sure to put the .m2ts extension in the video Extensions so it will recognize the files within the ISO container.

Yes, it would be a good idea to do a backup :)

Wile E.

I forgot to ask, do you have Matroska Splitter installed? If not, google "Haali media Splitter" and you will find it. Im not sure exactly how Matroska works, but it will load automatically and find the best codec for the video & audio streams.

sgatke

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I have installed Moving Pictures now, and have followed the guide from the MovingPictures website for setting up an internal player.
    I googled and installed Haali Media Splitter (and used the default installation settings). I then rebooted the computer.

My media files directory structure is like this - I hope this is clearly represented :)
    d:\data
    ----- \movies
    ----- ----- \BluRay\007 Quantum of Solace.iso
    ----- ----- \Pitch Black\video_ts

In MediaPortal, when I browse my collection and select my BluRay folder, I see the iso-file called "007 Quantum of Solace".
    When I click it, it is like opening a folder that now reveals 2 new folders: BDMV and CERTIFICATE (the normal BluRay structure). I can navigate to the BDMV\STREAM folder, where I can see the m2ts-files (7 files in this case: 00000 - 00006, each taking up a little less than 4GB)
    If I click one of the files, I get a MediaPortal error saying: "Could not play: 00000.m2ts - Video codec: H264"
    This seems to indicate I am missing a codec...

I exit MediaPortal and open MediaPortal Configuration --> Videos --> Video Player.
    The codecs are set like this:
    MPEG-2 video decoder: MPC - MPEG-2 Video Decoder (Gabest)
    H.264 video decoder: <empty>
    MPEG / AC3 audio decoder: AC3Filter
    AAC audio decoder: MONOGRAM AAC Decoder
    Audio renderer: default DirectSound Device

If I click the dropdown menu for H.264 decoders, the list is empty.

This leaves me with 2 problems:
    1) What codec am I missing for H.264? (and are the rest of my codecs correct?)
    2) Is it possible to start my BluRay rip by just clicking the iso-file in MediaPortal, or do I have to navigate all the way to the STREAM folder?

Any help appreciated :)

bart0190

Portal Pro
    January 17, 2009
    you need a codec for HD content. You can use Cyberlink (PDVD) codec available from different locations.
    I suggest to install SAF (Standalone Filters).

bart

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom