SAF v4.00 ''stable'' (StandAlone Filters) - DXVA ready (H.264 and VC-1). (4 Viewers)

Should i integrate FFDshow in to SAF?

• Yes

Votes: 406 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 69 14.5%

• Total voters

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    hoborg:

I found out there's a difference between beta 23 and beta 24. Beta 23 gives me interlaced tv, 50fps. But beta 24 does deinterlacing 25fps.
    How can i set this manualy?

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have a general question about SAF.
    I have ATI card and I know SAF is geared for ATIs, but what about people with NVidia or Intel GPUs?

wagenveld

Portal Pro
    June 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I would be interested in how you're planning to get upscaling for non-HD stuff and leave DXVA intact? I've tried myself (using profiles etc) and for ffdshow to work properly (ie upscale dvd/sd divx material) it needs to be enabled for all uncompressed video (at least, thats what I understand). So even with profiles etc you'll get ffdshow interfering and causing DXVA to break.

Instead I've now enabled about 25% of noise reduction and sharpening in the nVidia controlpanel which applies to all SD material (as far as I can gather, at least it doesnt seem to have any effect on HD material) and I must say I'm fairly pleased with the result. It's not quite up there with ffdshow (setup correctly) but it gets far without any CPU usage which is good! You'll probably need an nVidia card of one of the later generations though I'd suspect, but Ati should have similar options in their control panel?

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    @Hoborg:

I found out there's a difference between beta 23 and beta 24. Beta 23 gives me interlaced tv, 50fps. But beta 24 does deinterlacing 25fps.
    How can i set this manualy?

Can be MPG splitter. Compare graphs from 23 and 24 when playing video.

I have ATI card and I know SAF is geared for ATIs, but what about people with NVidia or Intel GPUs?

That is not true. Decoders are same for ATI/nVidia/Intel. I only integrate more info about ATI in to SAF becouse i have ATI.

I would be interested in how you're planning to get upscaling for non-HD stuff and leave DXVA intact? I've tried myself (using profiles etc) and for ffdshow to work properly (ie upscale dvd/sd divx material) it needs to be enabled for all uncompressed video (at least, thats what I understand). So even with profiles etc you'll get ffdshow interfering and causing DXVA to break.

Instead I've now enabled about 25% of noise reduction and sharpening in the nVidia controlpanel which applies to all SD material (as far as I can gather, at least it doesnt seem to have any effect on HD material) and I must say I'm fairly pleased with the result. It's not quite up there with ffdshow (setup correctly) but it gets far without any CPU usage which is good! You'll probably need an nVidia card of one of the later generations though I'd suspect, but Ati should have similar options in their control panel?

It is simply - for the begin i didnt enable any postprocessing, lets user do it.
    Basicaly, if you play h.264 video, MPC-HC decoder + DXVA will be in use = no effect what you configure in FFDshow.
    But if you play xvid video, FFDshow will be in use, and postprocessing can be used.

Or may be some really experienced FFDshow user can export "best" ffdshow settings and SAF can make them as default. We are on begin. But i have ready SAF version here with integrated ffdshow, that is important, i think it was a good idea :)

I have NVidia / AMD as you can see on my system details. SAF is not only for ATI! SAF is only for MP! :)

And GB-PVR :)

OK, here is coruption i get: - again, no problem when playing in GB-PVR with same graph.
    EDIT:
    Uh, i updated catalyst to 9.8 and it is OK now !?! (?Can be related to new quartz DLL? - MS hotfix)
    mtn.png

Another really bad is mtn.exe precess - this is MP thumbernails generator, wich takes 50% of CPU power!!! (one core) when playing video, why? That is realy, realy bad...
    I didnt found disable option in MP, but simply renaming mtn.exe "fixed" the problem, becouse it is no longer in use.

wagenveld

Portal Pro
    June 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    But if you say you didnt enable post processing how can you be sure DXVA will not be affected? Again, to my best knowledge you have to set ffdshow to pick up any uncompressed video (=any decoded stream), so it will force itself in every stream you'll play?

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    But if you say you didnt enable post processing how can you be sure DXVA will not be affected? Again, to my best knowledge you have to set ffdshow to pick up any uncompressed video (=any decoded stream), so it will force itself in every stream you'll play?

I think you miss the point. By postprocessing i mean not postprocessing in MP settings but directly in ffdshow settings.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Another really bad is mtn.exe precess - this is MP thumbernails generator, wich takes 50% of CPU power!!! (one core) when playing video, why? That is realy, realy bad...
    I didnt found disable option in MP, but simply renaming mtn.exe "fixed" the problem, becouse it is no longer in use.

1) It's running on IDLE priority, so no matter even if it uses 50% it wont steal any CPU time if some application / codec really requires it
    2) Buggy and seems to crash almost on my every TV recording (not our code :))
    3) Can be disabled from config (sorry, cannot remember where, but it is there)

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country

1) It's running on IDLE priority, so no matter even if it uses 50% it wont steal any CPU time if some application / codec really requires it
    2) Buggy and seems to crash almost on my every TV recording (not our code :))
    3) Can be disabled from config (sorry, cannot remember where, but it is there)

Oh, thanks for info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom