SAF v4.00 ''stable'' (StandAlone Filters) - DXVA ready (H.264 and VC-1). (4 Viewers)

Should i integrate FFDshow in to SAF?

• Yes

Votes: 406 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 69 14.5%

• Total voters

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    hoborg - how do you feel about FFDShow audio codecs compared to using what's in SAF (MPA + Monogram AAC)?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just wondering what the advantage of using MPA/Monogram AAC over FFDShow, FFDshow can do both, has more options for mixing channels and it correctly handles multichannel AAC which is becoming more common. I guess those 2 codecs are smaller and simplier to setup. Also the FFDShow audio codec comes with FFDSHOW video codec (which is very annoying) you have to disable it so it doesn't try to load. And the wierd thing also is for some movies i get jerking video frames with SPDIF via either codec, however if I use AC3Filter post processing then it solves the jerky video frames. This problem not present if using analog 2 channel audio output. Lots of users have posted about the jerky/stuttering video frames with SPDIF audio that resolves with ac3filter.

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You've got mail! :)
    Remux every video? If i don't have better things to do that would be an option :)

You can register "AviSplitter.ax" from MPC-HC standalone package, just copy this file in to windows\system32 and double click on this file (if you have some latest SAF beta installed, file will be registered). This will disable AVI support over HAALI and you files will be working. But it can have negative side effect for other AVI files like not possible to switch between two audio tracks, subtitles, etc.

I have similiar problem with videos from my camera (which are mjpegs too, just have .mov suffix). I simply renamed all files to *.mjpg and added this suffix to list in mediaportal config. Works without problem...

Renaming is not working for me, it will not play, same error message again.

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You can register "AviSplitter.ax" from MPC-HC standalone package, just copy this file in to windows\system32 and double click on this file (if you have some latest SAF beta installed, file will be registered). This will disable AVI support over HAALI and you files will be working. But it can have negative side effect for other AVI files like not possible to switch between two audio tracks, subtitles, etc.

I have similiar problem with videos from my camera (which are mjpegs too, just have .mov suffix). I simply renamed all files to *.mjpg and added this suffix to list in mediaportal config. Works without problem...

Renaming is not working for me, it will not play, same error message again.

@Hoborg:
    The solution: Install ffdshow deselect all associations with filetypes and after installation select in de Video configuation application under codecs mjpeg to libavcodec and also in vfw configuration application under decoder "mjpeg in avi" to libavcodec.
    Now all can be played in mediaportal fullscreen.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Guys, i am thinking to integrate FFDshow in to SAF. The reasons are:
    - more video format support (like MJPG, etc...)
    - replace MPA by ffdshow audio decoder (possibly fix reported pass-thrugh problems) - not sure
    - post processing +video resize for all non DXVA material

No DXVA will be lost, all previous functions will be keept.
    This combination should create ultimate audio/video solution...

Please vote in pool!

EDIT:
    How it should work:
    H.264,VC-1 will be decoded by MPC-HC (PDVD9 for HDTV) - current SAF status
    MPEG2 will be decoded by PDVD9 - current SAF status
    DIVX/XVID is now decoded by MPC-HC/XVID decoder, will be replaced by FFDSHOW
    +tons of new video formats that FFDshow support (include MJPEG)

carmenm

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Guys, i am thinking to integrate FFDshow in to SAF. The reasons are:
    - more video format support (like MJPG, VPx, FLV, etc...)
    - replace MPA by ffdshow audio decoder (possibly fix reported pass-thrugh problems)

No DXVA will be lost, all prewious functions will be keept

Please vote!

I am not sure this is a really good idea.
    THe first thing is you say that DXVA wont be lost, but FFDSHOW is CPU not GPU, or i am really missing something.

Now about performances, i had just an example yesterday. Right now i have SAF and FFDSHOW. I still have both because i do a lot of testing (on win7) because i am still not sure of the best way to play 1080p under win7(still quite slow with a GA-E7AUM-DS2H...). Yesterday a 720p started with ffdshow and i knew it immediately as it was stuttering.
    After going back to MPC, it was good!

You also says you want to go to ffdshow audio. I would say this is a really bad idea for people using spdif. For months i had problems with dropped frames every 1,5s. And it was due to ffdshow audio.
    To my opinion the best solution would be mpa with ac3filter.

Of course all of that is only my opinion.

Maybe the solution would be include every solution in SAF and let the user choose during the installation. WHat do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom