Codecs SAF v5.02 *final* (based on FFDShow DXVA decoder) (1 Viewer)

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Re: SAF v5.00 experimental (based on FFDShow DXVA decoder)

Is it possible to upscale video using ffdshow dxva? or should i stick to just ffdshow without dxva if i want that feature? I've got a 1080p tv and almost all my content is in 720p so it's important to me to upscale it to 1080p. Thanks =)

With DxVA - no, let your GPU do the work.

Memphys

Portal Member
November 29, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy

Is it possible to upscale video using ffdshow dxva? or should i stick to just ffdshow without dxva if i want that feature? I've got a 1080p tv and almost all my content is in 720p so it's important to me to upscale it to 1080p. Thanks =)

With DxVA - no, let your GPU do the work.

What do you mean with "let your gpu do the work"? If you mean to use ffdshow dxva and then in mepo to use "normal" instead of an "original" upscaled/resized with ffdshow, that doesn't make sense since one it's a stretch while the latter is a proper actual upscaling of the video source to an higher resolution, resulting in a much *much* better picture quality. Or is there another way to actually *upscale* the image using the gpu?

ced007

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Haute-Savoie
Home Country
France France

Memphys,
You have to use ffdshow for upscaling, so no DXVA in that case. But if your CPU is not old it can do it easily. I can do it with a double core 3ghz.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

@Memphys
    If sourve video is smaller that display screen, your GPU hardware is used for upcaling.

ffdshow's CPU based scaling will produce better results at lest in theory than the GPU scaling is able to do (unless MP would use pixel shader code like MPC-HC).

Memphys

Portal Member
    November 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

yeah.. guess what? i'm back to coreavc2(cuda) + ffdshow raw filter =)

mamachan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

@Memphys
    If sourve video is smaller that display screen, your GPU hardware is used for upcaling.

ffdshow's CPU based scaling will produce better results at lest in theory than the GPU scaling is able to do
    I can confirm on my system the difference is striking :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

@Memphys

ffdshow's CPU based scaling will produce better results at lest in theory than the GPU scaling is able to do
    I can confirm on my system the difference is striking :)

Having huge amount of edge enchanment will make a striking difference - but so does the today's LCD TVs with their postprocessing. In both cases the results are awful, but teh difference is striking :p

mamachan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

yeah.. guess what? i'm back to coreavc2(cuda) + ffdshow raw filter =)

puoi tranquillamente continuare ad usare SAF, basta aggiungere un tuo profilo personale in ffdshow e farlo caricare in automatico secondo le tue esigenze (io faccio così per i DVD, upscaling denoiser e sharpen tutto via SW con ffdshow, con una normale CPU Athlon II x2 240e).

Translation by google :rolleyes:
    You can safely continue to use SAF, just add your personal profile in ffdshow and make it load automatically according to your needs (I do so for the DVD, and upscaling denoiser and sharpen, with a normal CPU Athlon X2 240e ).

Having huge amount of edge enchanment will make a striking difference - but so does the today's LCD TVs with their postprocessing. In both cases the results are awful, but teh difference is striking :p

No LCD, only plasma :)
    Without any TVs postprocessing ;)

Hotkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: SAF v5.00 experimental (based on FFDShow DXVA decoder)

Just a short question for installation:
    Which option should i use during installation for a passthrough of the audio to my Receiver? Which setting is then correct in MP Configuration? Currently im using SAF 4 and have PostProcessing entries for FFDSHOW (Audio/TV/Video).
    Now in the first post it says: Do not add anything into the MePo Post processing.

So, whats the deal? :)
    a) should i enable audio passthrough during install of SAF5?
    b) should i then remove the post-processing after install of SAF5?
    c) Anything else i have to take care of when moving from SAF4 to SAF5? (Does the unlock work also for SAF5?)

Thanks in advance!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom