Codecs SAF v6 (based on LAVF) (1 Viewer)

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
Tony: confirmed, new nonstopmod 59c has fixed the compatibility with newer LAV. Thanks!
Hoborg: i have installed latest LAV from D9 for now, and still have issues while DVD playing. No black screen as before, but no highlight in DVD menu, and veeery long time to recover playing after using skip steps - smth like 12 seconds after every skip step. Should i post results in d9 forum or are you able to check it somehow?

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Hoborg: i have installed latest LAV from D9 for now, and still have issues while DVD playing. No black screen as before, but no highlight in DVD menu, and veeery long time to recover playing after using skip steps - smth like 12 seconds after every skip step. Should i post results in d9 forum or are you able to check it somehow?
Did you try play your DVD outside MePo - for example in MPC-HC?

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

BTW, have anyone tested LAV as TV HD decoder? ....

I am running everything video output related with LAV for one year now. I am using SAF since version 6.0. Before I had tried 5.x. SD and HD TV work flawlessly. Earlier the other codecs gave me headaches from time to time but after I started to use LAV I had no problems anymore. It is running stable and channel switching is fast. I am running MePo with just some plugins and the standard tsreader.ax.

Cheers

Zeppelin

Portal Pro
    August 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi guys, can something like the uneven background in this picture ( http://oi48.tinypic.com/wrnehl.jpg ) be Codec related or is the picture itself only matter of the video card?
    Because I use LAV both for video output and LiveTV (both SD & HD) and noticed this phenomena in the past few days both with video material and also Live TV... Mostly gradient backgrounds and shadows in movies have these hard transitions, somehow looking like something rendered in 16bit...

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    The shading is fine in the foreground for the overlay, so it must be something on the video itself.
    I think it's probably one of those things lost when the video was encoded (is it one of those 350mb ones we all know and love?)

Zeppelin

Portal Pro
    August 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No, and if I play the file with the TVs media player the background is fine...
    Also happens sometimes on 720p TV channels.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm not sure I've seen this but when watching TV (Freeview SD) I often see the background as what's probably best described as a "rainbow" effect, where it's the same shade, more or less, but divided into bands like a rainbow, rather than being smooth and blended.

Zeppelin

Portal Pro
    August 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah, that's spot on... But I definitely haven't this effect when watching LiveTV via the internal TV tuner or my Dreambox 800se...

That's why I think it has to be codec, GPU or setting related, I just can't figure out what it is. I try to get a screen where it appears in LiveTV...

OK, that wen't fast: http://www7.pic-upload.de/10.10.12/r8xssabai11.jpg
    There mostly in the orange it's also clearly visible...

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Actually, I've remembered I often see this rainbow effect when watching 2GB+ BD Rips as well, which always seems strange and bothers me. With both TV and Movies, I think it tends to be on darkish backgrounds mostly.

I skimmed through a movie that I watched recently and saw this on but couldn't find it. I did find some noise/poor blending in the scene shown in the attached screenshot though, on the wall to the left of the frame.

Zeppelin

Portal Pro
    August 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah, just like I said, even if it's good quality the rendering sometimes seems of, really wonder if there's a solution to this...
    From which of your HTPCs is this screen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom