Codecs SAF v6 (based on LAVF) (1 Viewer)

markrb

Portal Pro
April 22, 2006
hoborg has the recommendations for the TV settings changed at all since the images regarding the TV settings were placed?
I am looking for something to watch sports with that can handle fast motion without effects. I currently have the video set to LAV and it's pretty good, but on really fast camera motion it can mess up.

Thanks,
Mark

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
The Broadcaster I showed is 1280x720, which is not that bad of a quality, and also the Free to Air channels here in Germany mostly come also with better bandwidth so I don't see the problem there. As I already said: I definitely can't see the same when watching TV on my Dreambox...

Edit: @ Doveman:
Ah ok, thought it would probably be better with a dedicated GPU...

Grabbed another example of the sort of thing I see with the backgrounds when watching TV with MP (this was when playing back a TV Recording). You'll probably see it better if you download the image and zoom it in a bit.

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/3192/mediaportal201210221635.png

Is this normal for Freeview (i.e. does it look like that with STB) or does it only happen with MP? I don't have a STB to compare unfortunately but maybe others do.

Last edited:

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
SAF 6.1.4 released:

- LAVF updated to 0.52
- MPC-HC filter/player updated to rev. 1.6.5.6087
- DXVA checker updated to 2.9.1
- removed outdated Monogram AAC audio decoder and DivX AAC decoder
(fully replaced by LAV audio decoder)
- move LAV video decoder to SAF core. It is now used as primary DVD decoder

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Is it time to update the settings pictures in the first post? Also, is the LAFV issue of showing just a black picture in DVD menus solved in 0.52?

Cheers!
    Emph

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Is it time to update the settings pictures in the first post? Also, is the LAFV issue of showing just a black picture in DVD menus solved in 0.52?

Cheers!
    Emph
    Hi.
    Yes, i need to install MePo first. (Done) :)
    Well, i dont had any black picture in DVD menus issue on any DVD i tryed, but i have only few of DVDs.

Last edited:

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    @doveman - I would suggest that this be raised as a separate thread - in the bugs section.
    That way it can be investigated properly.
    I'd like to see the reasons why my self too...

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    @doveman - I would suggest that this be raised as a separate thread - in the bugs section.
    That way it can be investigated properly.
    I'd like to see the reasons why my self too...

The thing is I don't know if it is a MP bug, or an incorrect codec setting, or even normal.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Post to the bugs forum and it will get tested - just post that you are unsure :)
    Remember to post logs though - it's the first thing that will get requested ...

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Post to the bugs forum and it will get tested - just post that you are unsure :)
    Remember to post logs though - it's the first thing that will get requested ...

It doesn't tend to work like that in my experience. I'll almost certainly just get told it's nothing to do with MP and just due to the poor quality of Freeview broadcasts, or that it can't be MP-related and must be a codec issue or a renderer issue or GPU driver/settings problem. I tend to think one of those must be true as I see the same problem playing back the recording in MPC-HC and MP doesn't do anything to the stream when recording that could cause this problem, so either it's broadcast like that or the codec (or maybe the EVR renderer) is causing it.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    The Broadcaster I showed is 1280x720, which is not that bad of a quality, and also the Free to Air channels here in Germany mostly come also with better bandwidth so I don't see the problem there. As I already said: I definitely can't see the same when watching TV on my Dreambox...

Edit: @ Doveman:
    Ah ok, thought it would probably be better with a dedicated GPU...

Grabbed another example of the sort of thing I see with the backgrounds when watching TV with MP (this was when playing back a TV Recording). You'll probably see it better if you download the image and zoom it in a bit.

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/3192/mediaportal201210221635.png

Is this normal for Freeview (i.e. does it look like that with STB) or does it only happen with MP? I don't have a STB to compare unfortunately but maybe others do.

It's just normal banding and block artifacts from heavily compressed MPEG2 video (it's UK Freeview CH4+1 I think - AFAIK that channel is only 544 x 576 resolution and low bitrate, so I'm not surprised it looks like that....your GPUs noise filter might improve it, or the FFDShow video 'deband' filter works quite well)

Tony

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom