Scrolling (patch included in MediaPortal RC2) (1 Viewer)

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Re: Scrolling

Scrolling can be a bit "lumpy" alright. Looks like the fps drops between 10 and 20 frames, eg runs around 50 fps and goes to 40 or 30 fps if I jump between 2 films. It's silky smooth in TvSeries.

mardup I use a setting of 350 for both loading delays and continuous scrolling is smooth after a slightly lumpy start. Scrolling is poor if I'm just going from one film to the next in single clicks.

sclaws

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Chicago western suburbs
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Scrolling can be a bit "lumpy" alright. Looks like the fps drops between 10 and 20 frames, eg runs around 50 fps and goes to 40 or 30 fps if I jump between 2 films. It's silky smooth in TvSeries.

@mardup I use a setting of 350 for both loading delays and continuous scrolling is smooth after a slightly lumpy start. Scrolling is poor if I'm just going from one film to the next in single clicks.

+100 this is exactly the right way to describe the issue!

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

@ everyone: we just found out that some skins using skin functions (like streamed mp) cause high cpu usage i'm just wondering if the slow scrolling is also prsent when using blue3wide (it does not have these functions).. there's still some more tweaking that can be done form our side but currently the high cpu usage caused by skins controls might interfere with the results.

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland

Yes StreamedMP has exposed an issue with skin control visibility settings, using string.equals(#MovingPictures.LocalMedia.xxxxx,yyyyyy). These particular controls cause high cpu usage, once removed high cpu usage drops significantly.

This may be a cause for some peoples problems in relation to StreamedMP but there is still a problem when using the default skins like Blue. Here cpu usage is normal but when going from one film to the next there is a small fps drop that makes the scroll a little lumpy.

I've also switched off backdrops within the skin to see if there was any effect but the fps drop was still the same... maybe database access is involved with the problem and seems related to the StreamedMP issue.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Iirc a new thread is opened for every item that is selected while scrolling?

So it might help to:
    a) use thread pooling
    b) use one worker thread and wait for a small time (e.g. 5 ms) before the thread to load the image is even created.

sclaws

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Chicago western suburbs
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Iirc a new thread is opened for every item that is selected while scrolling?

So it might help to:
    a) use thread pooling
    b) use one worker thread and wait for a small time (e.g. 5 ms) before the thread to load the image is even created.

Hi,
    I'm willing to try, but I'll admit I have no idea how to accomplish this--I'm a semi-proficient end user who can follow directions well ;)

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

it looks like the image loading is NOT the problem.. i disabled the image loading and it still showed the same laggy response. Also TVSeries is using the same class to load the images and that was, as reported by others, silky smooth. Details are currently loaded in the same thread so i've implemented asynchronous updating now but the results are minimal (i haven't tested without the string functions in the skin however so i might try that next).

TheBiGW

Portal Member
    October 1, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Did this get any closer to being solved? It's an intriguing problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom