Series record options (1 Viewer)

ap90033

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ok guys, this is starting to go the wrong direction here. Kodi just like MP has TV functionality. With Kodi, it is MUCH easier and like I said can do series record. It takes me literally 5 minutes to setup and have it up and running if I had to do it again. I used both products over the years and I have been a Donater to MP thank you very much. I did not know the TV Server was a mess. Correct me if I am wrong but the (not tvwishlist) tv recording logic cannot record just based off of a series. It looks like it just looks at the time and channel. Seems like that would be a great place to start. I have donated in the past (tbh specifically hoping this feature would be fixed/added) and am curious, has anyone else asked for this? If so has anyone stated what it would take (money/time/effort/any details)? Who knows, maybe with more information we can help or shut up. :)

I am also grateful to all the developers and their hard work. I just think maybe the marketing on the main site should be adjusted to the actual product.
    "Watch, schedule and record live TV - like a TiVo, but better." is not entirely accurate at this point. -not really like a TiVo
    Tivo "Series Link Options
    You can choose to record New & Repeats, New Only or Everything. To make sure you don't miss any of your favourite programmes, leave Show Type set to the default value of New & Reruns."

I think MP is a great HTPC (minus tv recording options) and is BEAUTIFUL but I have to be honest it is lacking a little. Sorry if this upsets anyone I am just trying to point out a feature that in my humble opinion (and I bet many others) would make MP even better.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Kodi just like MP has TV functionality.
    That's wrong. Kodi did not have own TV functionality. Kodi is using other peoples work (e.g. of Team - Mediaportal) to provide TV.

Correct me if I am wrong but the (not tvwishlist) tv recording logic cannot record just based off of a series.
    You're wrong, this is something I'm doing a hundred times a week.

ap90033

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Sorry if I am causing a fuss. I may be wrong on some of this. Wouldnt be the first time. ;) at least I can admit I am wrong and I'm not one of those guys that thinks they are always right! :)
    Hmm, sorry, not seeing that option when I go to record a show in MP, I am using 1.10pre... I looked at advanced recording options and do not see it...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I looked at advanced recording options
    That's the right place to look. As I'm running the GUI in German I don't know the exact name in English, but it must be something like "always on every channel". Here it is the third list item.
    If you can not access this you maybe need to pimp your EPG data...

I'm using this for TV series like "Game of Thrones" or "The Big Bang Theory", sports (e.G. Formula 1 or soccer) TV shows like "... next topmodel" (not really ;) ),...

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes,

You can choose to record New & Repeats, New Only or Everything.

Amongst other things, this is exactly what you can get from WishList. However, I do agree that it would be even better if this were available from within MP itself by using the remote to select the programme in the EPG and go from there. Currently this doesn't seem to be possible. However, for me at least, the other advantages far outweigh this snag, and quite frankly, it really isn't hard to do. There is no need to write SQL expressions!

The problem with the standard MP advanced scheduler is that it will schedule to record repeats - unless a recording exists that you haven't watched yet - and therefore tie up a tuner for something that you don't really want. Wishlist gets round this completely as well as adding other flxibility.

The fundamental problem that underlies all of this discussion/problem is that the MP database does not contain a field that contains the "Repeat" indicator that is included in EPG data. Therefor the various methods that have been developed to import the EPG data into the database have never been able to include this small, but vital, bit of data that would enable the proper handling of repeats. If only! Changing the database to include this would be trivial, but doing the coding to update the EPG grabbers would not!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I looked at advanced recording options
    That's the right place to look. As I'm running the GUI in German I don't know the exact name in English, but it must be something like "always on every channel". Here it is the third list item.
    The advanced recording option that I use most often is option 8. Yes, that is the option that is off the bottom of the list, so you may not be aware that it is there (press UP button from the first item in the list).

Option 8 is "weekly on this channel". It fixes the channel, and fixes the day of the week, but does not fix the time of day (so the broadcast time can vary from one week to the next and MP will still record it). For most of the weekly programmes that I record, repeats are broadcast later in the week, and so are automatically excluded by option 8. (I do record a couple of weekly radio programmes that are broadcast in the morning, and repeated in the evening on the same day, so option 8 does not work for them -- both original and repeat would be recorded.) Windows Media Center would record a later repeat if the original recording failed for some reason (e.g. a power failure), but obviously that does not happen with option 8.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom