MP2 - V2.1 Server shutting down every few hours (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok so you think that the import may be part of the problem?
    It shouldn't, yet it looks like. The importer is currently reworked but it will take some time until a new version is release.

As for windows 10, do you think its worth the upgrade??
    Definitely.(y) However, for everybody arguing pro WIndows 10 there will be somebody else cursing it to death...

Win 10/1703 cured a lot of issues that we experienced (e.g. freezes due to graphics driver problems) but the latest 1709 release introduced new problems for some peeple and therefore it could be better to wait until March for the 1803 update. You can safely do an online upgrade. If you are unhappy, reverting to your previous system is just one mouse-click away.

Will i need a new install of MP2?
    No. At worst - but really at very worst - you'd need to do a repair install of MP2, which will take you three minutes. In any case, all your data and settings will be preserved when updating from Win 7 to 10.

Are TV cards generally supported with win 7 drivers, in 10
    Check out the manufacturer site for possible updates. I have to admit that I am not 100% sure that your TT cards will immediately work and a driver update could be required. If you would like to take the risk, make sure that you export all settings of your current TV Configuration (there is a special IMport/Export section for that in the TV Config) so that you can later easily reimport your channels and schedules. Just in case...

Last not least, I can't guarantee that WIndows 10 will ultimately resolve all your problems. I do remember though that we had received (few) reports from users who suffered from repeated server crashes, Nothing recently.

P.S.: If you upgrade you should specifically check for Intel driver updates for your GPU (i3-4560?)

desmond

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ideally i would like to stay with windows 7, as i have new used windows 10. TBS seem to say the drivers for windows 7 work for 10, but i have asked them directly tro confirm. Also the technotrend site seems to be down. Maybe they are no longer trading? Links i have found says the card is windows 10 compatible, but who knows? If/when mediaportal crashes again i will post the log in case we can see an obvious cause. It has been running for longer than usual now, maybe 4 hours so i dont know what "mood" its in. Is their a way of monitoring what mediaportal is doing live, so i can see why its taking so long to import?

Thanks des.

desmond

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2013
    Home Country
    Ok so an update. Mediaportal 2 is now more stable, only crashing 1-2 times per day. All my movies have been imported, and most of my tv shows, but the import is still not fully completed. Its now Wednesday and i started on Friday night.... I have attached the latest log. We where watching live tv and my wife went back to look at the guide, at which time the tv stopped playing and not data available was displayed in the guide. We could also not access the TV again, nor movies, etc. So the server had "crashed". This was on the client PC that runs the server.

Thanks des.

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2018-01-24-20.21.02.zip
      5.1 MB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    only crashing 1-2 times per day.
    This is still not normal. My system is running absolutely stable and I don't experience crashes.

Its now Wednesday and i started on Friday night
    I have no clue why things are so slow for you.

However, you continue to run out of memory, which is the cause of the server crash.

desmond

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2013
    Home Country
    Is there something I can do to setup in the background to monitor and log memory usage to bottom out what is using the memory?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is there something I can do
    I'd thought about this. You can use the Resource Monitor to visualize memory usage of each process to nail down MP2 (or maybe somethig else as the culprit).

The behavior on your system suggests that the software has a memory hole, however, I don't recall ever having seen such 'Out of memory' messages before. That said I would rather rule out MP2. @Brownard , any idea why the importer eats up memory on this system?

desmond

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2013
    Home Country
    Ok so I kept and eye on memory resources and I can see mp2-server.exe slowly but steadily increasing its memory usage. So this looks like a memory hole? Import has now finished, so it's not related to that and to be sure I turned off the auto import at 2 am feature and still the machine ran out of memory and the server crashed last night. What else can I do to debug? I have some pictures of the memory usage increasing over time, but that's not very useful probably? Thanks des.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can you post a fresh set of logs?

If the import activities are now completed there is nothing else happening, except maybe EPG. Yet I never heard of any issues in this respect. If you restart the server process, does it then still increase its memory usage to eventually reach the limit?

desmond

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2013
    Home Country
    Once the system crashes I reset the PC and then once running mp2 I can see the memory usage increase slowly and steadily. I can send you logs now, or should I wait untill the next crash and before a reset?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The current logs would certainly be interesting. If no import is taking place then there must be some other activity and the only thing I can think of is EPG collection. Can you say a few words how you've set up that piece?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom