[no Bug] Serveral problems tvservice since rc2/3/4/5 (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I did a fresh install of rc5, and my probs reduced to only stuttering at discovery hd
    So i'm pretty happy :)
    Thanks to joostzilla

In that case, are you happy for me to mark this thread as 'no bug' ?

As a note to others, it is surprising what a clean install will do. Does this mean there are problems with our updater? I honestly have no idea (and I have updated my own systems to RC5 without problems). It is a good idea with a HTPC to keep it to a minimum of extra software and clean install periodically. You want a complex computer to behave like a dedicated appliance!

Mark

oekie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 25, 2008
    Gennep
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    i had this problem from rc2 or rc3, i can't remember. At that time there where some issues with the updater.
    So it could be a updater prob.

Its not running completly smooth. Still some glitches....Like discoveryhd.
    But for now....No Bug!

oekie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 25, 2008
    Gennep
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Dear Developers

I don't no what you guys changed the last few rc's, but the tvservice is not stable. If you see the bugreports, a lot of people got probs with the tvservice.
    Now im running in audio out of sync.DiscoveryHD is stuttering or crashes mp.
    All hd channels start up slow the first few secs...

Please have a good look at the livetv parrt of mp, because the final is coming up. And i have the idee you guys will not do much about it!

Greets Oekie

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    And i have the idee you guys will not do much about it!

Greets Oekie

Yes, because it is actually a conspiracy to annoy our users by making their TV unstable.

The team are working through the bug reports as quickly as they can, but please bear in mind that three days ago you posted in this thread that a clean install solved your problems. Surely you are not surprised then that no-one has tried to 'fix' your problem.

Mark

oekie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 25, 2008
    Gennep
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    First of it all, i did post my logs following the guideline. No one had a serieus look at my logs.
    With a fresh install some things where solved, but still not all, like a said in the previous posts

Im not messing arround with my system. The only thing i use it for is MP..

I think you guys doing a great job, but there is change somewere in the tvservice.
    Many people are complaining about therre livetv. And they all say it started with RC2/3....

I can not imagine that livetv is running smooth in the Test Group..

I only want to help you guys to make it a great relaese,... sorry.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    First of it all, i did post my logs following the guideline. No one had a serieus look at my logs.

I think you guys doing a great job, but there is change somewere in the tvservice.
    Many people are complaining about therre livetv. And they all say it started with RC2/3....

I can not imagine that livetv is running smooth in the Test Group..

I only want to help you guys to make it a great relaese,... sorry.

Well, no-one in the team can reproduce your problems. For me, my TV server has been running completely solid for months now.

I see that you are using Windows XP. Unfortunately no-one on the team uses XP any more, which could make it harder to fix these problems. Is everyone who has this problem running on XP? At some point, you have to accept that XP is a 10 year old OS. It could be poor compatibility of your TV card drivers with XP. It could be any number of other things. Stability problems are complex.

All I can suggest is keep posting the logs, communicate with other users to try to identify common factors between your system and that of others having the same problem.

Mark

oekie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 25, 2008
    Gennep
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Oke mark, that can be the reason then. I will try a other os version. Thanks

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    All my HD channels also start with stutter for about 2 second, after that everything is normal. And that's on Vista.
    It sneeked in somewhere in the RC versions, but for me this is not a big issue. Just a bit annoying but acceptable.

I also sometimes get the 'No audio/video detected', 'unknown channel' and x.0 ts buffer message. At random and sporadically. Hitting the same channel immediately after the message and the problem is almost always gone...

My live tv also freezes sometimes when I turn off the tv.

And offcourse the little stutter once or twice a minute for about 1 second.

I have to admit, I've seen the tv service more stable, but it's reasonably acceptable for me.

BertTRP

Portal Member
    June 11, 2010
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    All my HD channels also start with stutter for about 2 second, after that everything is normal. And that's on Vista.
    It sneeked in somewhere in the RC versions, but for me this is not a big issue. Just a bit annoying but acceptable.

I also sometimes get the 'No audio/video detected', 'unknown channel' and x.0 ts buffer message. At random and sporadically. Hitting the same channel immediately after the message and the problem is almost always gone...

My live tv also freezes sometimes when I turn off the tv.

And offcourse the little stutter once or twice a minute for about 1 second.

I have to admit, I've seen the tv service more stable, but it's reasonably acceptable for me.

All of the above it's not reasonably acceptable for me! As of today i can count on at least one complete crash of the system (both client and server) when watching LIve TV, and that means loosing at least 5/10 minutes in the middle of a movie/program in order to reboot both machines. Also the continous stuttering is extremly annoying.

I am aware of the difficulties behind chasing bugs like this considering the thousands of possible hardware/software configurations out there, but i agree with oekie, there is a consistent amount of reports of problems with TvService so we must consider that this component is not 100% reliable today. And let's face it, Live TV, as an addition to the other functionaliteis, is the one feature that's giving an advantage to MP compared to the competition.

Furthermore, until you officially abandon support of XP, you simply can not allow not to have any system running on XP in the testing/debugging team.

This said, please don't get me wrong: as everybody else in here i fully support MP and all the efforts of the team behind it, otherwise we'd simply won't invest any time in reading/writing/contributing here. You all did a great job so far, but i share other users' feeling that declaring the final release ready before having a fully functional TV Service on all of the supported systems would be a disappointment.

Thanks again for the terrific job you are all doing!

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Furthermore, until you officially abandon support of XP, you simply can not allow not to have any system running on XP in the testing/debugging team.

Well, the team is constantly scouring the forums for new testers who consistently provide good bug reports, try to fix problems and help others. We do not do this by OS. There is definitely an argument for identifying gaps in our testing ability and trying to remedy them.

Okay, question. Is anyone using Windows XP and has a really stable TV experience?

I'm not sure I will get an answer to that, because people tend to hang out in the bug report forum and read these threads only if they are having trouble.

It's a bit difficult for anyone to dictate to the team that they must have a certain OS for developing/testing, because we all buy our own hardware and make our own choices based on a number of factors, including stability.

Windows XP does not support multiple TV cards without a hack from Windows MCE. Already you are making the OS do something that it was never intended (by Microsoft) to do. When I was using XP, I didn't have any major problems, but that was a while ago, and I don't doubt that problems MIGHT have been introduced.

If we could identify XP as the one common factor between the reports of TV instability, then hopefully we will be able to find someone who can identify the cause of the problems and help. If we can find users who have XP and no problems, we might be able to find a hardware/software configuration that works well.

Right now, we do have a few people reporting problems, but how many is it? Two or three, or twenty or thirty?

I'm not trying to trivialise the problem, but the team do need to bear in mind the risk of trying to fix a problem versus the risk of introducing more problems.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom