Settings configuration inside MP (1 Viewer)

ajp8164

Portal Pro
January 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi Deda,

This is a fantastic thing to work on - thanks! and just to help you out... I created a Weather Settings window earlier in 2011 and have had it sitting on my 1.3 branch. I'm just now making that branch visible for public testing (using the new Area51). Wanted to call your attention to it so that you don't duplicate the effort. I have not implemented the weather image settings (satellite etc.) - we'll have to figure out the best way to add those settings. Everything else is done though; even the doc ;-)

Weather Settings - MediaPortal Wiki

Great work!

:D

ysmp

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 17, 2008
    Seoul.
    Home Country
    South Korea South Korea
    Hi Deda,

This is a fantastic thing to work on - thanks! and just to help you out... I created a Weather Settings window earlier in 2011 and have had it sitting on my 1.3 branch. I'm just now making that branch visible for public testing (using the new Area51). Wanted to call your attention to it so that you don't duplicate the effort. I have not implemented the weather image settings (satellite etc.) - we'll have to figure out the best way to add those settings. Everything else is done though; even the doc ;-)

Weather Settings - MediaPortal Wiki

Great work!

:D

hi Andy,
    just a note ,the weather build-in plugin are not work for some time now... and last we hear for next MP 1.2.2 version ,the weather plugin will be hide/cancle for now .... sorry :( , ( for weather plugin we use communty )
    I remember see your post abut this weather setting ...long time ago ... time pass so fast ...;)

keep up the great work you doing ...:D

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    AW: Settings configuration inside MP

One thing I find interest to mention: the setting from within gui was and is one of the most wanted features by MP users. Now Deda is the unsung hero, doing a great job and asking for support by our users and right now only 14 replies. I would have expected to see a thunderstorm of thanks and hints how to make it even better. Anyone with an idea why this is?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would have expected to see a thunderstorm of thanks and hints how to make it even better. Anyone with an idea why this is?

I'm as baffled as anyone, I loved tinkering with settings from within MP's GUI, and hopefully its pretty intuitive too as lots of changes made along the road when testing :D

Caesium

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2011
    Solihull
    Home Country
    I feel that MediaPortal is used more by power users, who value more control. A separate Windows application to tinker with settings caters to this.

Personally, I mess with my MediaPortal settings via RDP, while leaving MediaPortal running uninterrupted watching TV or whatever. I've barely touched the in-MP settings, perhaps partly because they're currently so limited. I can't say whether or not I'd use them if this were integrated, but maybe that's what's preventing widespread interest.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    HI. I just stumbled upon this thread. GREAT improvement work here!!!

I have a thought about this and would like your opinions on it.
    MP Skins (custom and standard) are always in development, as is MP itself ofcourse. I am thinking if it is wise to make the settings tab skinnable or not.

IDEA: Make this configuration section unskinnable and have the UI look/feel hardcode it into MP itself.

Pros: Always a clean / effective / No errors introduced or options excluded due to skin-faults / It makes the skinners life easier.
    Cons: It doesnt look fancy.... (personally I can live with.)

As for why so little replies? I think it is just bad luck up untill now. I look in the development area often, but havent noticed this thread but now.... Might be a combination with bad luck and a 'less catchy' title.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi

I just stumbled across this too (saw it on the main forum page under most recent, normally I go straight to User CP), so maybe the reason why not many people have thanked Deda so far is because they're not aware he's doing it! It might not help that there's at least two places where people might be looking for improvement suggestions, as I explained in https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...est-one-place-improvement-suggestions-104281/ (although this does seem to be the busier area).

Anyway Deda, this looks great thanks. In answer to one of your questions, yes please implement a PIN-lock for ALL the settings, as I really don't want my brother (or his friends) accidentally messing everything up after I've carefully set it all up properly for him, and I'm sure there's plenty of other people who'll want a lock for similar reasons :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom