Settings configuration inside MP (2 Viewers)

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Re: AW: Settings configuration inside MP

I would have expected to see a thunderstorm of thanks and hints how to make it even better. Anyone with an idea why this is?
    We just need to test and feel it how cool is to change settings with remote control :) Not everyone can build MP from git branch to test this feature.
    BTW, I think it will be the №1 Top Development of 2012.

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think this will make MP more consumer friendly and bring it out of the nerd corner.

And I think there is no big reaction to this because people like the idea of being able to change setting out of MP, but they are not interested in version you nedd to build from github and test. This is something everyone will like, but noone would like to test it to get it working.

ajp8164

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I agree that anything that makes MP easier to install and configure makes it much more consumable. The most frustrating part of using software is installing and configuring. After a few minutes of frustration many people will just stop trying. It's only us nerds ;-) that persist to edit xml files and such :-D Quite frankly the "through the GUI" setup and configuration is a big uplift for xmbc (it was one of the decision points for me, but the TVE won out ;-) There is no real reason that the separate Configuration tool even needs to exist; my DirecTV receiver doesn't have one..

A small suggestion though... start an Area51 thread and use IRC to build a linkable test build for people to have easy access for dl and testing.

Looking forward to seeing this soon!

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So.... now the positive reactions have come and the topic seems to live more... .... whats the status now? Is it going to be published in Aera 51 (when workable ofcourse)?
    Ive seen no feedback on the idea's from the original poster Deda for a while. How did you receive the suggestions?

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I'm reading this , no worry :), but I'm currently very busy with real life so testing will need to wait a little. But anybody with Visual Studio and GIT client can download source, compile and play with it for now. All sources with skin files are in MP GIT branch as EXP_GUI_settings_rework.

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I really like the idea to get the configuration included in MP, but will there be an option to protect the settings menu with e.g a PIN code?

The good thing with a separate config app is that the smaller members of the family doensn't screw up anything by accident...

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    For sure it will be inside because almost all settings are now in GUI and it's really easy to mess MP exactly as you can do that in Win Config part.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Since Deda has said he is happy for people to test this, I have moved the thread to the testing area and compiled an installer.

Edit: link removed. We will keep the one in the first post up to date as changes are made.

Please test and report back with your comments.

If this is not complete and not ready for testing, blame me, not Deda.

Mark

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    It should be complete :). I only added yesterday PIN protection for GUI settings but for security sake once locked, PIN lock can be removed only to enter it again (so in case if user forgot PIN, only way to remove it is to edit config.xml and remove settings PIN entry there).

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Mark

Would have been better to have added to first post, at least provide a link there to your above post, these binaries supplied in the middle of threads can be unfindable without a lot of reading ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom