Short "sped up video" segments... (1 Viewer)

bazzz

Portal Pro
March 29, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Home Country
Canada Canada
Shackrock, have you tried my suggestion about using the K-Lite codec pack? It definitely fixed a very similar problem for me. Uninstall your existing codecs, install K-Lite and change the setting for DTS and AC3 to S/PDIF in the ffdshow audio config. I think you can generally accept the default settings for everything else.

shackrock

Portal Pro
December 27, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
yeah I may resort to that. I'm just dreading it because everytime I mess around with deleting / putting codecs back, I end up reformatting to save from my headaches....hahahha. I will see about it in the next week or so though

mhunter

Portal Member
November 20, 2006
Home Country
Well I do have DirectVobSub... But if I disable it, how will I use subtitles in the case that I DO want them?

Well, the first important thing is to figure out what is causing the problem.... :) then look for a fix!

Motherboard: ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 w/ HDMI + Optical S/PDIF Out

I just noticed your hardware specs, Funnily enough, this is almost the same motherboard that I have, except I have an Nvidia 8300 on board (i.e. the ASUS M3N78-EM) - they are basically the same except for the sound card hardware. There's a few problems with the on board video on these, I spent weeks figuring out the chipset issues - the main problem I found was to disable cool n quiet - this will potentially cause massive performance problems if it is on (see here).

If you want to try the reclock/refresh Framerate thing, check this thread it will automatically change the framerates for you - I suggest using it with the "12 noon" clock adjuster - worked perfectly for me - however in the end I turned this off - my TV has some fancy pants post processing which eliminates these problems and actually worked better.

Besides this, the Nvidia drivers should include the "Inverse Telecine" setting which if on does 3:2 Pulldown anyway (which is the conversion from one FPS to another) and shouldn't need you to use a "re-clocker" tool, however I have noticed this is missing from 178.24 driver for the 8300, however definitely exists in the drivers normally - I'll be investigating this later - it may exist in previous drivers or the newer beta drivers.

Make sure you MP renderer is set to VRM9 and not EVR (EVR doest not work so well under XP and it's using software to render under XP, whereas Vista uses hardware acceleration).

At the moment, I am using K-Lite and have only made these config changes to K-Lite after a fresh install of XP:

1) Disable DirectVobSub (via K-lite codec tweak) - I don't use the subs on most movies, and it did get rid some small issues.'
2) Using AC3 Filter (although ffdshow is what I normally use and can do this as well ) and made sure that AC3/DTS pass through was ON.
3) Installed MPC-HC Stand alone filter (MPCVideoDec.ax, needs to be registered with regsvr32), which by default passes all decoding to by done by hardware ( I love this codec, it is the best thing ever!). CoreAVC should work too, but it's not free and it doesn't pass it to the hardware for decoding, it's a software decoder - still excellent though.
4) In FFDShow video config, disabled the H.264/AVC setting so that the default decoder in windows for x264/h264 etc... is MPC-HC.

Anyway, maybe some of these things will help you.

Cheers

Matt.

shackrock

Portal Pro
December 27, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Home Country
great tip on the cool n quiet. some more google searching gave me lots of other people who agree with you too.... I'll try that out tonight by turning it off in bios!

shackrock

Portal Pro
December 27, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Home Country
No go on a fix yet...but I did find this problem out with my machine:

Once again my setup:
My Setup:
* 1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model ADH5050DOBOX - Retail
* 1 x ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
* 1 x A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1A16K - Retail
* 2 x Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I have no addon cards of any time in there, and am not using anything over IDE...

The CPU utilization of one of my cores (in task manager, it's the graph on the right) is always at near 100% when the computer is not doing anything, just idle. System Idle Processes in the Process tab is at 99%, as it should be because no processes are using being used. It turns out it's the kernel using up the 2nd cpu.

I used Process Explorer and found that the Kernel - specifically "Hardware Interrupts" was what was using half of my processing power almost constantly.

What is the problem here? Is there a fix? Is this an issue with the motherboard exclusively?

Maybe you guys know this? haha. thanks.

mhunter

Portal Member
November 20, 2006
Home Country
Well that sucks!

Sounds like back to basics then, definitely a system issue - not codec.

#1 Do you have the latest bios? The board I had was very flakey until I upgraded the bios in it, also reset the board to default settings either by bios or using cmos reset pins on the board.

ALSO, i noticed your CPU may not be on the CPU support list yet for that board - the only one similar to yours on there is the "Athlon 64 X2 5050+ (DO),1MB,rev.G2,45W,ADH5050IAA5DO,SocketAM2" - note the lack of the "e" on the end of 5050, where as they denote 4850e etc.... I'm not sure if this is the same one (probably is), but you need at least bios 0804 to support it. This would be the first thing to check, may be the cause of issues.

#2 Have you grabbed the latest Nvidia integrated drivers which I think are at 15.24 (when installing, you can leave out the video driver thats included if you want its a little old).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    What is the problem here? Is there a fix? Is this an issue with the motherboard exclusively?

Try removing all extra components from the PC, leave only HD and display adapter into use. If that doesn't help then you should try to update all available drivers.

Sounds like some hw or driver conflict as the huge kernel side CPU usage is visible.

shackrock

Portal Pro
    December 27, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Home Country
    Some updates (and to recap):

Using process explorer, I can see that the kernel is using around 50% of the cpu at all times. It actually says, "Hardware Interupts" is using this amount.

I did some troubleshooting, and found that if I disabled my ethernet driver (NVIDIA NETWORK BUS ENUMERATOR), the usage went to zero. I tried reinstalling the driver a few times with no luck.

Next, I found that if I unplugged the CAT5 cable from the ethernet port on my motherboard, the usage went to zero. As soon as I plugged it in again, it jumped back to around 50% usage.

This is all when the system is pretty much idle. I am not running any programs besides what starts with my computer... I'm running out of ideas on how to fix the thing here. I have also tried with and without NVIDIA NFORCE Forceware Network Manager...both produce the high CPU usage, and the problem remains unfixed.

As for the "e" on the processor, it is there for energy efficent (it's a 45w processor, vs. 65 or 95 or higher even).... And you're right it's a pretty new chip, so I suppose that COULD be the problem, although everything else works fine... Also I DO have the latest bios 0905.

whatisk

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    All these frequency and frame rate problems is something the movie/tv-business should deal with. ~24 fps here, ~30 fps there and the 25fps of PAL.... It is a nightmare and if your refresh rate is too far from a multiple of any of these numbers then some or all of your content will have this ½-1 sec fast (called: micro-stutter or judder)..... I have been googling for a week now trying to find a proper way of getting rid of it.
    I use 60Hz on my LG LCD and it always worked fine. However, recently I changed my setup fra analogue sound using mini jacks and I am now using optical SPDIF. After this switch I noticed these problems. If you google things like SPDIF, judder, HTPC and reclock you will see that it is a common problem of which no durable and general solution has been found. However, after my recent research I am pretty sure that you have 60Hz on your LCD probably using SPDIF DTS for sound and you are playing back content in NTSC-film (~24 fps). This combination is hell. Even reclock might not help you on that one (just google "reclock spdif dts"). You may try, but might get stutter in your audio, which will be even worse than speeding the picture a bit.

You will be able to get rid of the speed-up but at a cost. You have to broadcast PCM-stereo through the SPDIF, which takes the fun of it all. However, DirectSound is able to adjust the sound speed accordingly like that. But there is a bug in DirectSound that gives problems with adjusting sound playback in DTS SPDIF mode for example.

I would also really love to have a solution to this problem. However, the next thing I am going to try is Reclock, just too see if it will work.
    I already tried WaveOut (to avoid the DirectSound bug), but audio is unaccelerated and TOTALLY fucked up in that mode with my drivers (RealTek and Creative).
    I think the proper solution to this problem will be to buy one of the brand new LCD with a refresh rate of 240Hz. Using this rate both NTSC types (24 and 30 fps) will hit a multiple, while PAL on 25 will be very very close.... enough to make it impossible to spot (I hope).

I've noticed this problem on a few of my 720P MKV files also and have put up with it as annoying as it is.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head where it seems to be only ones with DTS audio. I'll have to do some more checking of other MKVs I have with DTS to see if it's the common factor. I am also using FFDShow and passing through SPDIF. I don't have any codec packs installed, I added the ones I wanted individually. Currently I have: CoreAVC, DirectVobSub, FFDShow, Haali Media Splitter installed.

For my PC specs, you can check in my system config :)

I know I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone is able to come up with a definitive solution. Like shackrock said, I don't see going to stereo as a solution...

Maedhros

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2005
    Gdansk, Poland
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Whatisk:
    I came to that conclusion since I did an extensive search on google using any combination of: video, judder, micro stutter, HTPC, SPDIF, DTS, MKV, MediaPortal, Mediacenter, Reclock, Refresh rate, NTSC.... and maybe a few others.

My final conclusion is so far that the judder/"speed up" occurs on NTSC-film/24fps (and maybe PAL/25fps) using SPDIF pass through with DTS. Apparently some of the websites I came across mentioned a bug in DirectSound, which has the unfortunate side-effect that DirectX is not capable of resampling the DTS audio equivalent to the "reverse 3:2" (from 24fps to 30fps to match 60Hz display).... or something like that.... but the result is that my sound goes perfectly, however my video tries to catch up every 20 secs or so (haven't counted seconds though)..... And no, it is NOT my system (I will just update my system specs now, so you can see it).

If you are able to, then please try to use WaveOut as your output. However, you will probably get A LOT of stutter and choppy sound and slooooow just like I got.

I haven't tried Reclock yet, however they mention potential problems using SPDIF. It is however 50-50 out there it seems.

My problems started after a switched from analogue mini-jacks to SPDIF pass through.

BTW.... whatisk.... I would recommend upgrading MP from 0.2.3.0 and maybe in general update your system specs in here ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom