Sky GO UK (1 Viewer)

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've seen @DragonQ posting about this a few times, the judder is caused by them re-encoding the 50i broadcast to 30p.
Correct. Whoever made that decision is a moron.

You actually need to set your refresh rate to 60 Hz for minimal juddering. Pretty easy to see the difference if you switch between 50 Hz and 60 Hz.

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    Isn't this issue fixed by disabling offline storage or whatever the option is, in silverlight. I am sure I have a memory of that from somewhere.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    I'll have to try the refresh rates. I thought I had before and it didn't make a difference. I'm pretty sure I didn't experience this on the laptop though. I'm struggling to believe it's a sky encoding thing though, its so obvious that it's dropping or adding frames I don't see how anyone could watch it? Jason doesn't notice this either?

I may try capture a video of it and put it on you tube or something.

Sorry for not getting back to you with your suggestions for checking thinks @Jason Pyke I will try and do it all at the weekend and report back. Maybe if I can grab a clip of it you can confirm if you don't see it on your end or if it really is the way the streams been encoded? What refresh rate are you viewing the stream in btw? have MePo in PALHD but do use MePo refresh rate changer (I do remember trying OV's refresh rate change setting once upon a time but wasn't sure if it was doing anything).

Thanks

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    In which case 25 fps would be better anyway...
    IMHO that's arguable. Many PC monitors do 60 Hz even in 50 Hz countries. So it depends what their target audience/hardware is.
    No, it'd only be arguable if Sky did something like frame blending to make the display smoother on 60 Hz devices (similar to MadVR's Smooth Motion). They don't. Right now, you cannot get smooth video playback at either 50 Hz or 60 Hz. If the video was simply deinterlaced to 25 fps, it'd play the same on 60 Hz monitors but would at least be smooth at 50 Hz.

I'll have to try the refresh rates. I thought I had before and it didn't make a difference. I'm pretty sure I didn't experience this on the laptop though. I'm struggling to believe it's a sky encoding thing though, its so obvious that it's dropping or adding frames I don't see how anyone could watch it? Jason doesn't notice this either?
    People have different standards of what is good or, in this case, "smooth". I know people that swear blind that there's nothing wrong with the image they get when watching a film on their laptop via their TV, and then when I've seen their setup, it's 60 Hz and there's judder all over the place.

For me, smooth means all the frames are evenly spaced and none is dropped. This is not possible with Sky Go.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Ok so maybe I'm more critical of it than Jason and there is an issue at the source. But I can REALLY notice it, when camera pans or tickers are shown on news channels, you'd have to be blind to think frames were not being dropped or added.

Jason Pyke

Portal Pro
    April 12, 2013
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    I'm probably less critical of the quality of web feeds than most because until recently I could only get 1.5mbps and I had to tolerate buffering, although I'm now on fiber (albeit only getting 7mbps). I can definitely see that the Sky Go feed isn't smooth, but I can't believe this is the same problem you are experiencing because it is completely bearable for me, but it sounds like yours is much more stuttery.

As I've mentioned before, this playback is really just wrapping internet explorer and I can't understand why it works acceptably in IE, but not in the browser host (you've tried IE on that machine haven't you?). Maybe see if disabling offline storage helps? I would be interested to see if running the browser host independently from MePo helps, so if you could try it that'd be great. I'm not sure about refresh rates, etc - I'm sure whatever Sky Go uses would be independent of the OV/MePo settings.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    You have FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) but only get 7 Mbps? That's the kind of speed you'd get if your nearest cabinet was 3 km away, that's crazy. My nearest cabinet is about 5 m away lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom