skywalker-1 tuner scan all dish channel get unknown name (1 Viewer)

liewfr

Portal Member
April 3, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
Just upgrade to 1.4, using skywalker-1 tuner try to scan dish network and get all channel with unknown name. Downgrade to 1.3, using same setting and same tuner, scan all dish network perfectly with correct channel name. For 1.4, no matter how long I change SDT/VCT, get NONE of the channel with name. ALL unknown name.

Steps to Reproduce:
To reproduce, you must have skywalker-1 tuner to scan dish channel....

Last edited:

liewfr

Portal Member
April 3, 2012
Home Country
Can't get you the log because already reverse back to 1.3 ....... hopefully somebody with skywalker tuner can help ...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Can't get you the log because already reverse back to 1.3 ....... hopefully somebody with skywalker tuner can help ...
    There are not very many people using Skywalker tuners with MP, so if you're not able to provide log files then we probably can't fix this problem.

liewfr

Portal Member
    April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    upgrade to 1.5 still same problem. There you go ....

wderbi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2011
    Home Country
    Hello mm135200, long-time no chat! I have been on MP hiatus for about a year. When we last chatted, I was last trying to get the newly released 1.3 going, but I was never able to get the type of success I had with 1.2.2 (which I wrote my guide on how to get MP going here in North America). It seemed that a lot of what was working in 1.2.2 in regards to getting great scans and proper channel identifications for 119w,110w, 118w,129w,82w, and 91w (popular sats here in NA), got broken in 1.3. I tried some custom patches you made for me incorporated into MP 1.3....it worked some, but system stability was worsened and scanning results with 1.3 had still taken a significant backseat to what was achieved with 1.2.2. I ran out of time to play with HTPCs so I shelved everything for about a year...until about a week ago.

I blew the brains out on my HTPC running MP1.3 (reformatted) and did a fresh Win 7 64 bit install. After installing all drivers etc. suggested in preparing for MP install, I did a fresh install with MP 1.4. Again, channel scanning was poor with my skywalker-1---only half of the channels came in, long scan time, all channels "unknown". Rather than muck around trying to optimize MP1.4, I just went ahead and updated to MP1.5 last night and tried scanning. Again, only about 1/2 of the channels came in, all unknown. I next modified the sat.ini file for 118/119w by changing all circularL transponders to circularR to be compatible with my Dishpro LNBs (as per what was working in MP1.2.2), and results were basically the same using "NA custom" as LNB setting. Attached is the latest TVservice log from last night. I am thinking that liewfr and I are having the same problems!

Thanks in advanced!

liewfr

Portal Member
    April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    wderbi, I do not have any problem at all with 1.3 with skywalker. All the channel name come in without any problem if you make your scan time longer. However, in 1.4 and 1.5, NONE of the name come in when you scan no matter how long you change the scan time ..... all channel come in with unknown name ...

liewfr

Portal Member
    April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Please let me know what log I should provide ... before I reverse back to 1.3 again .... Thank !

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

wderbi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2011
    Home Country
    Awww crap!!!! I got frustrated with the "unknown channel" issue and uninstalled MP1.5 and went back to MP 1.3 final late last night. My plan is to do all of my channel scanning in 1.3, export the data, reinstall 1.5 and import the data (with proper channel names) into 1.5.

In my initial test scanning 119w (which is one of Dish Network's birds) on MP1.5, ALL channels show up as "unknown". However, scans of 91w (Bell express-view) with MP1.5 gave about 50% channels with correct channel names, but the other half of the channels gave "unknown channel" and a hex value as the name. Given this information, I am suspecting that it is something specific with scanning the Dish Network services that is now broken in MP1.4 and greater. Another thing I noticed that I thought was strange was that all channels scanned on 119w were numbered as 1000 (if I remember correctly---it could've been 10000!), but the bottom line is that they were all the same.

One issue that I was having that I was able to overcome with MP1.5 was that at least I was able to scan all of the channels instead the less than 1/3 I was getting when I posted earlier in this thread. When I was successfully running MP1.2.2 a year or so ago, I kinda understood that dishpro equipment wasn't handled by MP very well and that I had to convert all horizontal transponders to vertical and change the frequencies like we need to do for dreamboxes (DP-conversion). What I saw was happening with MP1.5, is that I could not just "replace" the 119w sat info file with a modified one that wasn't named exactly the same name. Somehow, MP would just ignore the modified sat file and generate another copy of the original sat info file. What I ended up having to do was to do the DP conversion edits the transponders in the original sat info file. After doing that, great channel scanning numbers that worked, but were "unknown".

As I mentioned, I finally got frustrated and went back to 1.3 right before going to bed last night. I did a total uninstall of MP and TVserver, but kept settings intact. I installed MP1.3 final and TVserver and scanned 119w using the original sat info file, but I did the DP conversion to the transponders. Making no other changes, the majority of the channels on 119w had correct names, but there were some that still were "unknown". I went to sleep before I could do any tweaking.

I hope this helps this issue...

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Another thing I noticed that I thought was strange was that all channels scanned on 119w were numbered as 1000 (if I remember correctly---it could've been 10000!), but the bottom line is that they were all the same.
    Yep, it would have been 10000... and that is entirely normal when no logical channel number details are available.

What I saw was happening with MP1.5, is that I could not just "replace" the 119w sat info file with a modified one that wasn't named exactly the same name. Somehow, MP would just ignore the modified sat file and generate another copy of the original sat info file. What I ended up having to do was to do the DP conversion edits the transponders in the original sat info file.
    If I recall correctly, the name must match a satellite in the satellites.xml file.

As I mentioned, I finally got frustrated and went back to 1.3 right before going to bed last night. I did a total uninstall of MP and TVserver, but kept settings intact. I installed MP1.3 final and TVserver and scanned 119w using the original sat info file, but I did the DP conversion to the transponders. Making no other changes, the majority of the channels on 119w had correct names, but there were some that still were "unknown". I went to sleep before I could do any tweaking.

I hope this helps this issue...
    It gives a bit of background, but it doesn't really help to isolate the cause. For that I still need the TS dump file mentioned previously. I note that you can grab this using MP 1.3 - you don't have to be using MP 1.5 or 1.4. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any issues generating or uploading the dump file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom