Solution for ALL/most Software-encoder based TV-Cards (1 Viewer)

Pastill

Portal Pro
September 2, 2007
...Hi Pastill
What makes you think that picture could possibly be better with software encoders?
Bad picture ( compared to my TV-sets ) on analog finaly made me look for alternatives.
More likely caused by a really bad tuner/card. Had access to this Pinnacle card, so ...
...Did you take out the HVR1300? .
Yes, and I've disabled the DVB-T part of PCTV 310i, just need the analog part in this card.
Have a Technisat Cablestar HD 2 for DVB-C signal. Working very well.
The reason is that the package doesn't install a Directshow filter version of the encoder.
Looking into GraphEdit Directshow filter it show these video/audio encoders:
ATI, Mainconcept and Microsoft (= ?)
TV Server is telling the truth - you have no *supported* encoders installed.
Learning every day. But sometimes it's hard to find "the truth".
You usually solve analog picture quality problems by improving signal quality
I'm on a cable net with 100 % signal strenght and quality. Can't improve that !?
So alternative is a better tv-tuner, hence test a new card.
At best, the picture quality with a software encoder will probably be the same as with a hardware encoder
I'm willing to try/test any working solution. Can't be worse in my case.
If you have read all of my advice and you're still ***very*** desperate to try the software encoders then I might be able to give you custom versions of 1.1.2 that support the Microsoft and AVIVO encoders. It would be much better if you upgraded to 1.2.0a or 1.2.0b (which will be released in one month or so)...
I've so far gone more than half way by exchanging cards in my special mounted HTPC so I think it's (for me) worth it to make a test with a "custom version" of 1.1.2 (I want to wait for at least 1.2 Beta depending on needed "High WAF")

Could you make a "custom version" ? Most thankful then!
(AVIVO = hardware acceleration on GPU ? Radeon HD5450)

You or I a PM ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

I'm on a cable net with 100 % signal strenght and quality. Can't improve that !?
    If you're reading that from MediaPortal then you can't trust it. Analog tuners don't supply true strength/quality readings *at all*. Digital ones are dubious too, but that is a different story. Basically the strength and quality will both be 100% if the tuner is locked, and they'll both be 0% if the tuner isn't locked. I *strongly* advise you to get an installer in to check your aerial etc.

Could you make a "custom version" ? Most thankful then!
    Okay, will make two custom versions. One that supports ATI AVIVO encoders and one that supports the Microsoft encoders. You'll have to wait 5 days or so as I'm away from home until Tuesday.

(AVIVO = hardware acceleration on GPU ? Radeon HD5450)
    No, no hardware acceleration for that as far as I know, but it does seem to be the best for me:
    - most stable
    - lowest CPU usage
    - picture quality okay
    - lip sync good

You or I a PM ?
    I'll post here. Stay tuned...

:)

Pastill

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2007
    Again new knowledge.

Digital ones are dubious too. .......... I *strongly* advise you to get an installer in to check your aerial etc.
    I know. On the DVB-C card I get different readings depending on driver versions. Same picture quality.
    I get my analog signal from a city cable net, not aerial. Cable net have good signal quality and strenght. Cables changed in our building one year ago. And my TV-sets have very good picture quality on analog channels ( that compared to my HTPC and MP was disturbing me a lot )

I'll post here. Stay tuned...?
    I'll wait ...... ( eagerly)

cryoplasm

Portal Member
    December 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Am I correct in thinking there will be a software encoder for hybrid TV cards included in the new MP?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi cryptoplasm

Am I correct in thinking there will be a software encoder for hybrid TV cards included in the new MP?

No - completely incorrect. Including a software encoder would require us to license said encoder from someone like ATI, Cyberlink, Intervideo, Mainconcept etc. That would be *very* costly - something we can't afford as an open source project. Most users with analog tuners that require software encoders receive software encoders in the software packages or drivers provided by their tuner manufacturers. In those cases, tuner manufacturers commonly license the encoders from Cyberlink (Twinhan), Mainconcept (Hauppauge) etc. Users that do not receive encoders from their tuner manufacturer can use some of the methods described at the start of this thread to "acquire" an encoder...

So once again, short answer: no.

Having said that, there are several important TV Server improvements for tuners with software encoders in 1.2.0b. I would *highly* recommend updating when 1.2.0b is released in ~3 weeks time. If you're adverse to trying beta versions then you will have to wait for 1.2.0...

naibaf7

Portal Member
    December 4, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    AW: Solution for ALL/most Software-encoder based TV-Cards

mm1352000 and cryoplasm

and additionally you can try out many different encoders with this methods described on page 2, not all give the same good or bad result on different cards.

It turned out that ATI AVIVO is one of the best tho. (And I've never seen this one included in a software from the cards manufacturer).
    Even more, with this trick you don't have to install the software suite of your cards manufacturer, just this little package and MP, so it's quite useful I think.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi naibaf7

I'm in total agreement about the ATI encoders. I think they used to be distributed with the ATI All-In-Wonder tuners...

On a slightly different topic, did you see my patch here? Turns out that the ATI encoder can even be used with multiple tuners simultaneously. :D

cryoplasm

Portal Member
    December 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I tried using the bundled Mainconcept encoder with my Hauppague HVR900 card but it never worked. I don't believe the encoder is Win7 compatible.

Why can't MP use the MC7 encoder instead? Or is it too integrated into MC/Win7 ??

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Good question :)

Some encoders are just not compatible with MediaPortal. Having said that I don't think that particular encoder has been checked. We could try it if you had MP 1.2.0a. I don't have Windows 7....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom