Solution for ALL/most Software-encoder based TV-Cards (1 Viewer)

naibaf7

Portal Member
December 4, 2010
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
AW: Solution for ALL/most Software-encoder based TV-Cards

Even more: I don't believe the Windows 7 encoders can beat the ati ones (in both speed and quality!)

cryoplasm

Portal Member
December 30, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
On MC/Win7 you don't need a third-party encoder or decoder.

MP already detects MC/Win7 decoders. So why not use the encoders too that if they aren't hardcoded into MC/Win7?

I agree the MC/Win7 decoders give a very nice, smooth quality picture like on a real TV.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Why not use the encoders: no reason that I know of, but since it is such common sense I'm almost certain they will have been tried and found to be incompatible. Incompatibility is a more serious issue with encoders than it is with decoders...

Up until 1.2.0a the list of supported encoders was "hard-coded" into the MP source code. In 1.2.0a it has been moved to the DB so that encoder prioritisation could be supported. A positive side-effect of that is that any user who knows how to edit entries in their database can add new entries to the supported software encoder list if they want to try them out. So what are you waiting for?!? If you are so keen to try the Microsoft encoders and you have W7 then install MP 1.2.0a, add the encoder names to the softwareencoder table in the DB and see if they works. As I've already said, the only reason I haven't tried already is because I don't have Windows 7...

:)

cryoplasm

Portal Member
    December 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am not technically proficient in this area to investigate it properly. Basically this only happens to be a passing hobby of mine.

Added to that, I'm sure MS would be willing to donate a copy of Win7 to the MP Team for testing and development purposes. Why not?

dvbcler

Portal Member
    December 4, 2010
    If you are so keen to try the Microsoft encoders and you have W7 then install MP 1.2.0a, add the encoder names to the softwareencoder table in the DB and see if they works. As I've already said, the only reason I haven't tried already is because I don't have Windows 7...

:)

Could you please explain how to do this?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The following is *not* recommended for users who aren't a little familiar with how to use and manage a database. The instructions are also *completely irrelevant* for anyone except users who use analog tuners that *don't* have hardware encoders.

Instructions:

1. Install MediaPortal 1.2.0a.
    2. Open your database management software. For MySQL I recommend SQL Development (or the older GUI Tools). For SQL Server use SQL Server Management Studio (a free "express" version is available).
    3. Run the following commands to insert the Microsoft encoders into the lists of supported encoders.

MySQL:

Code:
    INSERT INTO "SoftwareEncoder"("idEncoder","priority","name","type") VALUES (24,12,'Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Encoder',0);
    INSERT INTO "SoftwareEncoder"("idEncoder","priority","name","type") VALUES (25,13,'Microsoft MPEG-2 Audio Encoder',1);

SQL Server:

Code:
    INSERT INTO SoftwareEncoder (priority,name,type) VALUES (12,'Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Encoder',0)
    INSERT INTO SoftwareEncoder (priority,name,type) VALUES (13,'Microsoft MPEG-2 Audio Encoder',1)
    GO

4. Open TV Server configuration.
    5. Go to the "general" section, "software encoders" tab.
    6. Check that the Microsoft encoders are both listed (one in the video encoder list and one in the audio encoder list) and that they are both installed on your system ("Yes" in the installed column).
    7. Use the "up" buttons on each group to move the Microsoft encoders to the top of each list.
    8. Close configuration and restart the TV Server service.
    9. Delete your TV Server log files (XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\log, Vista/7: C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\log).
    10. Attempt to view or scan an analog/NTSC TV or FM radio channel.
    11. Open your TV Server tv.log and error.log and check that the Microsoft encoders were successfully used (I'd be happy to do this for you if you post the log files here).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Do you mean (1) the schema name or (2) the database system name?

If (1) then I think the default name is something like MpTvDb.
    If (2) the it is whichever database you chose when you installed MediaPortal.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi all

I've made a custom build of 1.1.2 that will try to use the Microsoft encoder for you all to try. I want to make it very clear that it is not guaranteed to work, however this might be convenient for those of you who are unwilling/unable to upgrade to 1.2.0a at this time.

In addition, I've also made a custom build of 1.1.2 that supports the ATI AVIVO encoder. The AVIVO encoder is tested and proven to be one of the best compatible encoders. I recommend trying it, especially if the Microsoft encoder doesn't work.

Instructions for use:
    1. Stop TV Server.
    2. Take a backup of the TVLibrary.dll in your TV Server install folder.
    3. Download and extract one of the attached TVLibrary DLLs into your TV Server install folder.
    4. Start TV Server.
    5. Try to scan/tune analog/NTSC/FM channels.

I really can't make it any easier for you to try experiment ;)

P.S. My apologies to you Pastill - I promised these builds to you and *almost* forgot about it :sorry:

Attachments

• TVLibrary[1.1.2_Microsoft_trial_support].zip
      150.4 KB
    • TVLibrary[1.1.2_ATI_AVIVO_supported].zip
      150.4 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom