some channels fail to tune in MP (and do tune in other software) (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Please ignore the signal quality. We know it does not work reliably for all cards. In fact there is no way it can work for all cards, since the drivers do not return a number that is standardised.

Does Comedy Central ever work at all for you in MP, either recording or playback, or using any other method of accessing the stream? If not, I would say that you either have a weak signal or have the channel details wrong.

Mark

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    EDIT: Take Comedy Central. There are other channels on the same frequency that do work, and one other channel on that frequency that don't work. Also on that frequency there are code-downloads for all kinds of devices, I think DVB-tuners (Humax,Panasonic,etc.). I don't know if that matters though.

Is this a channel that broadcasts for only part of the time, and the rest of the time another channel uses the same frequency? If so, have you checked that it is broadcasting when you do the scan? Then check the channel details in TV config.

Mark

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Please ignore the signal quality. We know it does not work reliably for all cards. In fact there is no way it can work for all cards, since the drivers do not return a number that is standardised.

Does Comedy Central ever work at all for you in MP, either recording or playback, or using any other method of accessing the stream? If not, I would say that you either have a weak signal or have the channel details wrong.

Mark

It never works in MP, recording or playback. Like I said in the first post, it does work on my humax dvb tuner and also in the DVBViewer software. I'm sure the signal is ok, like it is for all other channels. other people that try Comedy central in my area and my provider also can't make comedy central work in MP. channel details the same as in DVBViewer and humax tuner. codecs the same as in DVBViewer. codec change doesn't help. It broadcasts when I scan. It doesn't matter if I do a manual scan on the correct frequency or enter all details manually.
    Looking at the above, I would say it must be something in MP that's causing these channels to fail.

EDIT: I recorded a few seconds in DVBviewer PRO. The ts file didnt play in MP (gave an error: unable to play video vh1.ts videocodec: Mmpeg video version 2 audiocodec: mpeg audio version 1 layer) but did play in WMP and in graphstudio perfectly.
    With graphstudio I cant connect to a remote graph in WMP but if i look at the graph when i play the file in graphstudio directly, the only difference is the splitter: tsreader.ax is used for all (working) streams in MP (so I guess this is also tried with the failing channels), mpegsplitter.ax is used when I play the recording in graphstudio.

So, when I play the recording in graphstudio with mpegsplitter.ax and the same codecs as in MP (ffdshow) it works, if i play in MP the same file with the same codecs but with tsreader.ax, it doesnt work.

I wish it was my setup..but this confirms my belief that it's tsreader.ax that's not working correctly with all tv channels and is causing the streams to fail here. :(

If extracts from graphstudio or DVBViewer PRO can help, please let me know what's needed to squash this bug.

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is it possible to use mpegsplitter.ax from graphstudio, the splitter from DVBViewerPRO or the splitter from WMP in MP as a replacement for tsreader.ax?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Is it possible to use mpegsplitter.ax from graphstudio, the splitter from DVBViewerPRO or the splitter from WMP in MP as a replacement for tsreader.ax?

If someone modifies the mpegsplitter.ax to comply all requiremts that MP has... in short, not possible.

Please upload a TS file recorded with DVB viewer. Maybe it shows why the TsReader is failing (and if recordings are 0 bytes as well when tried in MP the same bug / missing feature would be in TsWriter most likely).

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Please upload a TS file recorded with DVB viewer. Maybe it shows why the TsReader is failing (and if recordings are 0 bytes as well when tried in MP the same bug / missing feature would be in TsWriter most likely).

Here is a short piece of DVBViewer recording from VH1 that I mentioned earlier

Attachments

• 08-02_20-24-26_VH1_.zip
      4.5 MB

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I recorded a few seconds in DVBviewer PRO. The ts file didnt play in MP (gave an error: unable to play video vh1.ts videocodec: Mmpeg video version 2 audiocodec: mpeg audio version 1 layer) but did play in WMP and in graphstudio perfectly.
    I just tried your sample and i get the same error.

I also tried to rename it to mkv so that MP will use the Haali Splitter instead of TsReader and MP just won't play it either (yet no info about codecs is thrown - just wont play).
    So the issue is not just TsReader! :mad:
    But as you said, it plays in WMP (while techincally the playback methode is 99% the same inside MP :confused:).

I ran your sample through TSPackedChecker and could not find any obvious issues.

I also tried several codecs inside MP and again, no change.

TsReader definitly does not like something in that file:
    Code:
    09-08-2010 21:48:27.528 [1374]FileReader::Read() read to less bytes
    09-08-2010 21:48:27.529 [1374]demux:endoffile

There seems to be something inside your TransponderStream which totally confuses MP.
    I have never seen such before. :confused:

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Just to aded my 2p worth - I have a Hauppauge 4000, with the same issues (unable to create/start graph).

rspierenburg

Portal Pro
    June 18, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I am having the same problem with my Hauppauge 950q. I cannot play any of my analog stations. They all come up with the unable to play : ts error like the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom