[confirm] Some TV channels stutter (heavily)/look "flawed" (1 Viewer)

Perls

Portal Member
September 30, 2009
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I had another go with 1.1RC4 last night. I changed a couple of things this time:

1. I did not install PowerDVD10
2. I modified the Vista power settings from Balanced to Performance to remove CPU frequency changes

I did not notice stutter issues this time. I wonder whether the CPU backing off to low speed was at fault? With 1.1 being more sensitive to this for some reason?

After several tweaks like moving timeshift files to ramdisk, I had one remaining problem with short, rather
infrequent, disturbances on channels from a cinergy DVB-C pci card. Channels from a firedtv DVB-T card were however
flawless. After changing power setting to "Performance" also this remaining issue with the DVB-C card seems to be resolved!
Thanks
/Per

Kakskiv

Portal Member
January 16, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
If I run x264 on my C-drive (2 SSD's in raid 0, where MediaPortal is installed and time-shift is buffered) the HDTV will stutter. I've seen that mediaportal sometimes uses a lot of the disk capacity, and maybe thats why you have problems with stuttering when running MP, but not when you just preview the channel in TV-server.

At least it is something you can check...

Freuli

Portal Pro
October 31, 2007
AW: Some TV channels stutter (heavily)/look "flawed"

Hi,

I see I am not the only one who has problems with ORF1 HD. The stuttering is so heavy that it is impossible to watch ORF1HD. Is there any workaround to solve this problem. I don't want to go back to RC2 because there ist one heavy stutter (stream) every 1/2h.

Knows anyone the reason of this problem?

Thanks

Markus

dale77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I had another go with 1.1RC4 last night. I changed a couple of things this time:

1. I did not install PowerDVD10
    2. I modified the Vista power settings from Balanced to Performance to remove CPU frequency changes

I did not notice stutter issues this time. I wonder whether the CPU backing off to low speed was at fault? With 1.1 being more sensitive to this for some reason?

Tried RC6 today. Random stutter was back. Occasionally appears, skip back 15 seconds and re-watch - no longer there.

Can't test as much as I'd like as I only have one HTPC and family want me to leave it in working state. :sorry:

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Some TV channels stutter (heavily)/look "flawed"

hey guys,

everybody who has no stutter in other programs with LiveTV (SD/HD) and a screen resolution of 1920x1080, please try screen resolution 1280x720.

background:
    other programs don't use such a huge and fancy environment. i made the experience, that HD recordings and videos are running fine on my systems with every resolution. Due to my ATOM based systems, LiveTV in HD is kind of maximum I can reach (1080i).
    Setting resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720, HD is going to play as smooth as SD. (yeah... i know... less resolution has positive and negative side effects... ;) )

Everybody could try if this method can improve HD LiveTV

dale77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: AW: Some TV channels stutter (heavily)/look "flawed"

hey guys,

everybody who has no stutter in other programs with LiveTV (SD/HD) and a screen resolution of 1920x1080, please try screen resolution 1280x720.

In my case, I have no stutter in MP 1.0.2 @ 1920x1080. Dropping back to 1280x720 isn't really an option I'd want to take.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: AW: Some TV channels stutter (heavily)/look "flawed"

hey guys,

In my case, I have no stutter in MP 1.0.2 @ 1920x1080. Dropping back to 1280x720 isn't really an option I'd want to take.

Maybe not, but if you try this and it works, it could give an indication of where the problem lies.

Mark

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

There are many reports video playback is having problems in newer drivers on the Nvidia forum, some say introduced sometime after the 186.xx range.

dale77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well, I'm looking at some recorded h.264 1080i/50hz tv with RC6 again... At 1920x1080/50hz

cpu - 8%, memory & io flat, per process explorer...

Rare stutters at random places in playback. Just saw one now with shift-1 active, Act. fps briefly shows 43fps, 50fps normal of course. shift-1 display does not show any more frames dropped while stutter is visually evident.

Vista32, Catalyst 10.6, 4670 1Gb.

At least while I'm watching this stuff to try and pinpoint the problem for you guys, it sure does look nice, when it is not stuttering.

Maybe not, but if you try this and it works, it could give an indication of where the problem lies.

Mark

Although stutter is quite rare, I changed to 720p, and watched a 1080i clip, and I'm pretty sure I saw a stutter on the 2nd run though. It moves around in the clip.

So the problem appears to be in both 1080p and 720p res.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Well, I'm looking at some recorded h.264 1080i/50hz tv with RC6 again... At 1920x1080/50hz

cpu - 8%, memory & io flat, per process explorer...

Rare stutters at random places in playback. Just saw one now with shift-1 active, Act. fps briefly shows 43fps, 50fps normal of course. shift-1 display does not show any more frames dropped while stutter is visually evident.

Vista32, Catalyst 10.6, 4670 1Gb.

At least while I'm watching this stuff to try and pinpoint the problem for you guys, it sure does look nice, when it is not stuttering.

Although stutter is quite rare, I changed to 720p, and watched a 1080i clip, and I'm pretty sure I saw a stutter on the 2nd run though. It moves around in the clip.

So the problem appears to be in both 1080p and 720p res.

First your hardware configuration should be more than enough to give you stutter free 1080i. I have the same card as you and have stutter free HDTV 1080i.

I can suggest you to:

- Try different codecs. In my configuration I'm not able to use cyberlink, they give me heavy stutter. I use microsoft codec included in windows 7 (unfortunately you're under vista). From (I think) RC2 and up I have this behaviour (before I used cyberlink powerdvd9 codecs without problems)
    - Update all drivers and bios to latest versions. Also the one of the chipset and audio.
    - Try to disable aero features (like transparency) that can bring load on your GPU. Leave aero itself enabled.
    - Try to disable unused services on vista. vista is much more heavy than windows 7. There are guides out there on how to do this.

Last resort could be an upgrade to windows 7. I think is an OS that is much more reliable for real time services than vista.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom