[confirm] Some TV channels stutter (heavily)/look "flawed" (1 Viewer)

TelaKeppi

Portal Member
May 2, 2008
Home Country
Finland Finland
Could someone check whether or not the stutter is still there, when previewing the channel in TV-Server Configuration. All my HD channels stutter in Mediaportal, but work just fine in TV-Server Configuration channel preview and im wondering if it's this issue, or something else.

J

joostzilla

Could someone check whether or not the stutter is still there, when previewing the channel in TV-Server Configuration. All my HD channels stutter in Mediaportal, but work just fine in TV-Server Configuration channel preview and im wondering if it's this issue, or something else.

Ive reported a problem 2 weeks ago (still no one who read my logs though) with a similar problem. Fine in preview, terrible in MP.
My problem is solved (fingers crossed) either by reinstalling my purevideo decoder or my cable provider who solved some problems at exactlty the same time as my codec update :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    purevideo decoder

You mean that Nvidia one that has been deprecated many years ago? I would advice to stay away from it.

I dont want to use it but I thought Powerdvd uses the purevideo engine? I hope i am wrong so i can ditch the b*tch

PowerDVD / Cyberlink codec's contain own decoding code. Nvidia's powervideo codec is not needed, unless you are using it directly. Althou it wont make any difference just to have it installed.

To confuse people Nvidia has named the old MPEG2 (only) decoder as purevideo and GPU technology is purevideo as well.

J

joostzilla

You mean that Nvidia one that has been deprecated many years ago? I would advice to stay away from it.

I dont want to use it but I thought Powerdvd uses the purevideo engine? I hope i am wrong so i can ditch the b*tch

PowerDVD / Cyberlink codec's contain own decoding code. Nvidia's powervideo codec is not needed, unless you are using it directly. Althou it wont make any difference just to have it installed.

To confuse people Nvidia has named the old MPEG2 (only) decoder as purevideo and GPU technology is purevideo as well.

Thanks Tourettes, i will lose the purevideo decoder asap. :D

TelaKeppi

Portal Member
    May 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Ive reported a problem 2 weeks ago (still no one who read my logs though) with a similar problem. Fine in preview, terrible in MP.
    My problem is solved (fingers crossed) either by reinstalling my purevideo decoder or my cable provider who solved some problems at exactlty the same time as my codec update :)

SO, it's the same issue then. I've tested all combinations of codecs and it all comes to being just fine in preview and horribly wrong in MediaPortal. I'd imagine my system is totally different to yours, Im on XP using the default MPC codecs. Using latest catalyst drivers, DXVA is working except for MPEG2, which is broken in the default codecs. Would be nice to get this fixed, i got this DXVA capable Radeon HD card for finally getting the HD channels to work. Im out of ideas, but I'll gladly test possible fixes.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

SO, it's the same issue then. I've tested all combinations of codecs and it all comes to being just fine in preview and horribly wrong in MediaPortal. I'd imagine my system is totally different to yours, Im on XP using the default MPC codecs. Using latest catalyst drivers, DXVA is working except for MPEG2, which is broken in the default codecs. Would be nice to get this fixed, i got this DXVA capable Radeon HD card for finally getting the HD channels to work. Im out of ideas, but I'll gladly test possible fixes.

It is not that DXVA is broken with the default MPC codecs. They do not support it.

The simple fact is that MPEG2 codecs that support DXVA cost money. I am sure that if you check the forums, you will find advice about which ones to use.

Personally I only have SDTV, so MPC is great for me. When I need HDTV, I guess I will try to find codecs that work better.

Best wishes,

Mark

TelaKeppi

Portal Member
    May 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks for the tip, I previously tested the Cyberlink MPEG2 codec and didn't get DXVA to work. Could have been my catalyst drivers. To test it again, I installed SAF codec pack and PDVD10 SD filter, configured it to be used for video & LiveTV. Checked Mediaportal Configuration and DVXA was enabled. Tested it, no HW acceleration. Checked also in MPC-HC, no DXVA. So, i checked the cyberlink filter prefs from MPC-HC and sure enough DXVA wasn't checked. I enabled it and restarted MPC-HC to test the changes. To my surprise DXVA started to work. Now DXVA works also in Mediaportal. Obviously the checkboxes in Mediaportal Configuration for cyberlink decoder doesn't work like they should.

Since the SAF codec pack also installed ffmpeg audio codecs, i gave them a go and was quite amazed to find out it actually fixed all the stuttering on HD channels in Mediaportal! I'll have to check if choosing the MPC codecs bring the stuttering back. Also on a side note, zapping from SD channel to HD channel and back seem to disable deinterlacing. Is this a known bug?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Obviously the checkboxes in Mediaportal Configuration for cyberlink decoder doesn't work like they should.

Could be that Cyberlink has changes the registry locations with different software revisions. Best way to enable the codec settings is to use the real application (PowerDVD for example) to change the Cyberlink's codec setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom