[confirm] Some TV channels stutter (heavily)/look "flawed" (1 Viewer)

TelaKeppi

Portal Member
May 2, 2008
Home Country
Finland Finland
I had to reinstall, since SAF codec pack uninstalls the default MPC audio codecs, but as i suspected HD channels started stuttering and also SD channels when there's overlay graphics like menus ontop. Reinstalled SAF, no more stutter. IF the SAF pack doesn't update the MPC-HC h264. codec, i'd say the cullprit is the MPC-HC audio codec. Either way, im still having massive problems. No EPG and now if i dont manually use the preview feature in TVServer config before starting Mediaportal, it crashes when i open tv. Only way to recover is to reboot the system.

BertTRP

Portal Member
June 11, 2010
Home Country
Italy Italy
@tourettes

I'm sure it's not always bad signal. In my case this issue started after installing RC3, just with the same video continuity errors. I never experienced bad receiption before. I have two DVB-C tuners and one DVB-S2; all Digital Everywhere FireDTV. Both FireDTV-C and FireDTV-S2 started the discontinuity errors after upgrade to RC3.

As I have described before, I solved it with uninstalling the tvserver, restarting the tvserver and turning off and on of the FireDTV and after this, installed the tvserver again. I didn't touch any of my antenna cables or sat cables.

I can imagine, something gets mixed up in the BDA driver or in the FireDTV's internal memory, that, after restarting the operating system and powercycling(turning off and on of the unit) the firedtv gets solved.

Question is; are all users who experience this issue users of digital everywhere products. As written before in this thread, most users solved the video discontinuity errors by reinstallation of tvserver (and probably restarting the computer and or powercycle the tuners)

There is a strange issue going on here. I'm not telling it's in the mediaportal tvserver software, maybe it's a combination of MP tvserver/bda driver(maybe specific version; i'm using latest on windows 7 32 bit)/dtv tuner.

I'm hoping people can recover from this by the instructions i provided.

And last: Tourettes and all the other developers working on MP, thanks for your great work on the mediaportal project! MP rules!

I share the same thoughts of Arn01805!

I have a FloppyDTV-S2 and I am experiencing his same problems since RC2. WIth other software (FireDTV Viewer) i have no problems at all (no discontinuity, no bad signal, etc.) while within MP i get constant signal glitches (very short image stuttering), until at a certain point both server and client hangs.

As i haven't read any more comment on Arn01805 post here above, i am wondering if anybody is still looking into this. Or even if more users with the same DVB-S cards are experiencing this.

Last but not least, thank you all guys for the terrific work done, MP is an impressive piece of software!!

Vispen74

Portal Member
February 13, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
@tourettes

I'm sure it's not always bad signal. In my case this issue started after installing RC3, just with the same video continuity errors. I never experienced bad receiption before. I have two DVB-C tuners and one DVB-S2; all Digital Everywhere FireDTV. Both FireDTV-C and FireDTV-S2 started the discontinuity errors after upgrade to RC3.

As I have described before, I solved it with uninstalling the tvserver, restarting the tvserver and turning off and on of the FireDTV and after this, installed the tvserver again. I didn't touch any of my antenna cables or sat cables.

I can imagine, something gets mixed up in the BDA driver or in the FireDTV's internal memory, that, after restarting the operating system and powercycling(turning off and on of the unit) the firedtv gets solved.

Question is; are all users who experience this issue users of digital everywhere products. As written before in this thread, most users solved the video discontinuity errors by reinstallation of tvserver (and probably restarting the computer and or powercycle the tuners)

There is a strange issue going on here. I'm not telling it's in the mediaportal tvserver software, maybe it's a combination of MP tvserver/bda driver(maybe specific version; i'm using latest on windows 7 32 bit)/dtv tuner.

I'm hoping people can recover from this by the instructions i provided.

And last: Tourettes and all the other developers working on MP, thanks for your great work on the mediaportal project! MP rules!

I share the same thoughts of Arn01805!

I have a FloppyDTV-S2 and I am experiencing his same problems since RC2. WIth other software (FireDTV Viewer) i have no problems at all (no discontinuity, no bad signal, etc.) while within MP i get constant signal glitches (very short image stuttering), until at a certain point both server and client hangs.

As i haven't read any more comment on Arn01805 post here above, i am wondering if anybody is still looking into this. Or even if more users with the same DVB-S cards are experiencing this.

Last but not least, thank you all guys for the terrific work done, MP is an impressive piece of software!!

I also experience this annoying stuttering with 1.1.0 RC4 (runnging Win 7 x64), I have got a sheep no name DVB-T dongle though. With 1.0.2 everything worked just fine!

dale77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am using 50Hz refresh. Not sure about DXVA, but I believe so. Codec is a cyberlink one from Powercinema. The problem does not seem to occur with 1.0.2, although it is early days, I'm just finishing a complete rebuild.

Confirmed no stuttering on 1.0.2.

Tried again on fresh 1.1.4RC, with a different codec, same stuttering issue.

STuNZ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I resolved my stuttering problems (that started after 1.02 and exhibited as discontinuity errors) by changing motherboard.

At the suggestion of someone here (tourettes I think) I tested my old motherboard for problems with deferred procedure calls with this utility (DPC Latency Checker) and it showed regular spikes in latency.

Swapping to another motherboard resolved the latency spikes and the stuttering. Wther it was the actual motherboard or a poor driver the motherboard needed I'll never know but the other devices in the system stayed the same.

The old motherboard (with its latency spikes) worked fine under 1.02 so I put it down to increased use of the pci bus or some other resource in MP 1.1 that, together with the latency spikes took an Ok system over the edge.

dale77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    At the suggestion of someone here (tourettes I think) I tested my old motherboard for problems with deferred procedure calls with this utility (DPC Latency Checker) and it showed regular spikes in latency.

What were your spikes? With this tool I get occasional "yellows" on my system. Are you talking dpc reds in your case?

dale77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I had another go with 1.1RC4 last night. I changed a couple of things this time:

1. I did not install PowerDVD10
    2. I modified the Vista power settings from Balanced to Performance to remove CPU frequency changes

I did not notice stutter issues this time. I wonder whether the CPU backing off to low speed was at fault? With 1.1 being more sensitive to this for some reason?

STuNZ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

What were your spikes? With this tool I get occasional "yellows" on my system. Are you talking dpc reds in your case?

Yes, I was seeing sporadic red dpc latency which 1.04 seemed more tolerant of than 1.1. At least that's my interpretation of my stuttering issue.

oekie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 25, 2008
    Gennep
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this is related, but I have an issue with Discovery HD, not sure if this is since RC3 or somewhere before, as i do not watch this channel very often.
    When starting this channel it stutters (shows 1 picture every second or so) sound keeps going.

After some time, somewhere between 10 to 40 seconds, it will play smooth.

Client logs attached, if server logs are also required please let me know.

Louis

I can confirm this. Massive probs with Discovery HD after upgrade rc3, rc4.
    I know that discovery HD is mpeg2 signal with high framerate ore something like that...
    Its not a ordinary HD 264 signal...
    Logs will follow

binman_uk

Portal Member
    November 10, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I also confirm that I'm experiencing issues with stuttering on HD channels in RC3 and RC4, although SD is fine.
    I experienced no issues at all with RC2 and I've tried both the built-in Windows 7 and MPC codecs - they both display consistent stuttering making HDTV unwatchable.

DVBViewer plays the HD channels absolutely perfectly, so I know it's not a signal or hardware issue. It's definitely a bug introduced since RC3. I'm on the latest Catalyst drivers and I've even tried re-installing the TV server but the stuttering remains as bad as before.

One thing I did notice is that when running in debug mode, the stuttering was somewhat better but still not perfect.
    Logs attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom