Sometimes no image rendered when playing video (1 Viewer)

bta489

Portal Pro
March 17, 2013
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there,

Every now and then, when playing a video no image is rendered. The audio plays fine, but the screen stays black. Not even the GUI is visible, just a black screen. I can navigate back to the previous screen, which is again rendered correctly. Occasionally the image sets in after a while (up to a minute after start of playback), but I rarely wait more than about 20 seconds to find out. A couple of retries to start the video usually results in correct playback.
Just now however, in more than a dozen attempts, no image appeared. After a reboot the video played fine again. I observed this behaviour with video files and in the OnlineVideos Plugin (YouTube).

The logs show mostly this:
Code:
[2021-03-23 14:56:23,296] [Log    ] [102      ] [ERROR] - Exception: System.OverflowException: Die arithmetische Operation hat einen Überlauf verursacht.
   bei MediaPortal.Player.PlaneScene.DrawTexture(UInt32 texAddr, Int64 lColorDiffuse)
   bei MediaPortal.Player.PlaneScene.RenderLayer(Single timePassed)
   bei MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUILayerManager.Render(Single timePassed, GUILayers layers)
   bei MediaPortalApp.RenderFrame(Single timePassed, GUILayers layers, Boolean& uiVisible)  Message: Die arithmetische Operation hat einen Überlauf verursacht.  Site   : Void DrawTexture(UInt32, Int64)  Source : Core  Stack Trace:     bei MediaPortal.Player.PlaneScene.DrawTexture(UInt32 texAddr, Int64 lColorDiffuse)
   bei MediaPortal.Player.PlaneScene.RenderLayer(Single timePassed)
   bei MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUILayerManager.Render(Single timePassed, GUILayers layers)
   bei MediaPortalApp.RenderFrame(Single timePassed, GUILayers layers, Boolean& uiVisible)

Attached are the full MediaPortal.log, MediaPortalError.log and evr.log, from the attempts to watch the same video.
Im using MP 1.27 on Windows 10.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• evr.log
    682.5 KB
  • MediaPortal.log
    3.9 MB
  • MediaPortal-Error.log
    906.5 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    when playing a video no image is rendered. The audio plays fine, but the screen stays black. Not even the GUI is visible, just a black screen. I can navigate back to the previous screen, which is again rendered correctly.
    I also encounter this, but in my case there seems to be a specific sequence of events that can cause it.

In order to save power when playing music, I have enabled the MP blank screen saver, with a timeout of one minute. When my Sony TV receives a blank screen, it turns the LEDs off, saving about 20 watts. However, I have noticed that if I remain idle on an MP panel for more than one minute, the screen saver operates (as expected), but when I later try to play video, no video appears.

On the other hand, if I am playing video or audio and I pause playback, the screen saver operates after one minute (as expected), but the video re-appears when I unpause playback, i.e. the error does not seem to occur if the screen saver operates when the media player is active.

I cannot swear that the above sequence always triggers this error, but it is the closest that I have come to identifying the circumstances when this error occurs.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

bta489

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just checked my config. Screensaver is not enabled here. It's also not the TV saving power, as I can navigate back normally to the previous menu. The small currently playing preview also shows only black instead of the video picture.

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Do you think you can easily reproduce it?
    If so, I can add some extra logging to get to the bottom of it...

bta489

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Not really. I did not notice any regularity or correlation to external factors. It just occurs sometimes. With Windows being Windows it could be some update process in the background wreaking havoc...at this point I have pretty much given up trying to restrict it.

I noticed recently a third variation, where the sound is still fine, but the image flickers between the actual video and a black screen in a half-second or so interval.

If it doesn't impact performance too much, I certainly could run MP with extended logging and save the logs when it occurs again. Could be a couple of days or more, though. When you're waiting for it to happen it usually works fine.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Do you think you can easily reproduce it?
    I cannot swear that the above sequence always triggers this error
    I don't want to divert this thread from @bta489 's problem, but his and my problems seem sufficiently similar that they may have the same cause.

I have just tried to reproduce my problem using two different test scenarios, but neither caused the problem to occur :(.

If you have the time to create diagnostic versions of whatever DLLs are involved, I will be happy to use them in my production system, and see if I can provoke an occurrence of the error. (I run MP with logging at DEBUG level all of the time.) I am using MP 1.27.

Thank you for taking the time to investigate this. :)

bta489

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'll set it up tomorrow (or rather today :sleep:).

The last couple of days it behaved quite nicely, though. I'll try to reproduce and report back when it occurs again. I certainly appreciate your help in getting to the bottom of this (y).
    In the meantime I have set up an additional log with hwinfo. I wanted to check my temperatures, but the lack of image does not seem to correlate to high temps.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I have a dll with some extra logging, perhaps you can see if you can reproduce?
    The last couple of days it behaved quite nicely
    Yes, I too have not encountered the problem that I described earlier o_O. However...

I have had several occurrences of another problem whereby I start to play a recording, and MP immediately terminates, followed by immediately restarting. I looked at the logs, but it is difficult for me to understand exactly what the error is. Logs attached.

Thank you. :)

Attachments

• playback_abends.zip
      20.1 KB

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yes, I too have not encountered the problem that I described earlier o_O. However...

I have had several occurrences of another problem whereby I start to play a recording, and MP immediately terminates, followed by immediately restarting. I looked at the logs, but it is difficult for me to understand exactly what the error is. Logs attached.

Thank you. :)

hm this sounds serious:

[2021-04-07 23:59:56,320] [Log ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - Exception: Error in the application.
    -2005530520 (D3DERR_DEVICELOST)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.PresentInternal(tagRECT* sourceRectangle, tagRECT* destRectangle, IntPtr overrideWindow)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.Present()
    at MediaPortal.D3D.RecoverDevice() Message: Error in the application. Site : Void PresentInternal(Microsoft.DirectX.PrivateImplementationDetails.tagRECT*, Microsoft.DirectX.PrivateImplementationDetails.tagRECT*, IntPtr) Source : Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D Stack Trace: at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.PresentInternal(tagRECT* sourceRectangle, tagRECT* destRectangle, IntPtr overrideWindow)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.Present()
    at MediaPortal.D3D.RecoverDevice()

Looks like some part of your setup decided to kill/restart/whatever your video-output...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom