Ponyriemen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 9, 2007
    /root/home
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    wouldnt work for me correctly.
    I want to sort my Movies like in Video-Menu. If i click there "sort by date", the newest Movie ist at last, tho oldest is on Top.
    How can i sort like this in moving pictures?

Thanks for Help,
    Pony
    :D

marvenius

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2008
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think you can sort by date again to have the order descending in stead of ascending. So just repeat your steps one time extra. At least that is what I understand from your post.

Ponyriemen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 9, 2007
    /root/home
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, i think i didnt said correctly, what i mean - my bad english doesnt make it easier ;) ...

If i am in Video-Menu, the Movies are sorted by Date of Creation, calles "sort by date".
    If i set this to moving pictures ("sort by date"), then they are sorted by another way...

can someone understand what i mean and tell me, what to do?

Spaldo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2008
    FlashFXP Development Team
    Home Country
    I know what you mean and the developers are considering making this a little easier.

I will try to find the thread where I explained the behaviour.

However, quickly, it sorts by 'date created' not 'date modified'... So if you copied a file there today, then it will sort it as today. Because technically that is when it was "created" although it isn't the date it was really made.

I know it is silly and doesn't quite make sense. But thats how it is.

In the future versions they are consideirng allowing MP to sort by the release date of the movie, which would resolve this issue with MP & Windows date, etc.

gshipley

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2008
    I know what you mean and the developers are considering making this a little easier.

I will try to find the thread where I explained the behaviour.

However, quickly, it sorts by 'date created' not 'date modified'... So if you copied a file there today, then it will sort it as today. Because technically that is when it was "created" although it isn't the date it was really made.

I know it is silly and doesn't quite make sense. But thats how it is.

In the future versions they are consideirng allowing MP to sort by the release date of the movie, which would resolve this issue with MP & Windows date, etc.

I submitted a patch that will allow the user to determine what date to use when adding to the MP database. The three options will be (if patch is accepted), created_on - modified - current

Spaldo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Cool... Although it sounds wrong, with the way Windows determines it's date for files, generally the "Date Modified" is the actual date the file was really created.

Doesnt sound right, but, for some reason it is!

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have applied gshipley's patch (thanks again!) so going forward how date sorting is performed will be customizable.

We are still trying to determine what the best default would be though. Please hold your suggestions, I plan on creating a new poll thread. But before I do that, I'd like to ask, practically speaking what is the difference between the "Create Date" and "Modified Date" of a file? In what situations will these ever differ in the context of a collection of movies in the form of video files? In my collection (mostly made up of ripped DVDs) all my created and modified dates are identical. I ask because I'd like to clearly explain the differences between the options in both the plugin and the poll asking for suggestions for the default.

Spaldo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks fforde, the customizable option would be great. Also the option in the future of adding the actual movie date to the database would even be better :)

Basically, now this is silly and I have no idea why Windows does it.

But the 'Date Modified' is when the physical file is either created or changed. When we are talking above movies, then they should never really be changed, so essentially it is the actual date the file was "made"

'Date Created' is when the file is made, HOWEVER, if you copy it to another location, back it up & restore it, then it is the date when the file was actually moved.

I wish I could explain it better, because even to me I think it is silly how Windows defines it.

I believe for the purposes of MP, you would really want 'Date Modified' as your date, but, I am not giving suggestions yet :)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks fforde, the customizable option would be great. Also the option in the future of adding the actual movie date to the database would even be better :)

:confused: This is an unrelated change but yes it's scheduled. Let's not get off topic though.

Basically, now this is silly and I have no idea why Windows does it.

But the 'Date Modified' is when the physical file is either created or changed. When we are talking above movies, then they should never really be changed, so essentially it is the actual date the file was "made"

'Date Created' is when the file is made, HOWEVER, if you copy it to another location, back it up & restore it, then it is the date when the file was actually moved.

I wish I could explain it better, because even to me I think it is silly how Windows defines it.

I believe for the purposes of MP, you would really want 'Date Modified' as your date, but, I am not giving suggestions yet :)

Thanks for the info, will create a poll later today I think to help us pick a default.

Spaldo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2008
    Home Country
    :confused: This is an unrelated change but yes it's scheduled. Let's not get off topic though.

Calm down, I know ... I created the issue :) Just thought I would mention it for the people who didn't know the issue was on the cards...

fforde said:
    Thanks for the info, will create a poll later today I think to help us pick a default.

Cool, I will vote when you do :)

Users who are viewing this thread